• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raye7r

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2009
    Parke County
    Our house is total electric with base board heat. We had central air installed in early 90s with flexible duct work in ceiling. Central air unit quit this year (dog pee probley had something to do with it). Decide to replace with a heat pump for cost effectiveness. Estimate for a 2.5 ton heat pump and 2.5 ton electric furnace with new metal ductwork in attic is 18,500. Is that reasonable? Work supposed to begin in week. P.S. Wife don't like the base board heat because most of it is blocked by furniture.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    When I had my home built 5 years ago, I picked a top of the line 16 seer heat pump. It's been awesome. I can't find my contract to look up the exact cost, but the unit and all mechanical work, ducts, etc., was no where near as much as $18,500. Maybe it's that much more for installing in an existing home, but I wouldn't think it should be.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I think the 18500 figure is high but I don't know what it's going to take to put in your duct work. I have a heatpump with a 98%LP furnace combo and it works for me and also when the power is out I can turn to gas only and my 5k generator pulls the furnace and the well pump so we can live comfortably on Gen power for about 11 gallons of gas a day, (not the most efficient Gen.)

I just had to buy a new heatpump and went with the new style scroll pump, It has less of a hammer sound to it than the last one I had and is much harder to hear,

Good luck

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Shop around. There are gobs of HVAC companies fighting for business. We get coupons and offers to "beat their price" all the time.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Our house is total electric with base board heat. We had central air installed in early 90s with flexible duct work in ceiling. Central air unit quit this year (dog pee probley had something to do with it). Decide to replace with a heat pump for cost effectiveness. Estimate for a 2.5 ton heat pump and 2.5 ton electric furnace with new metal ductwork in attic is 18,500. Is that reasonable? Work supposed to begin in week. P.S. Wife don't like the base board heat because most of it is blocked by furniture.
    Almost $20k is VERY high!

Why do they want to install new duct work? Metal is better than flexible in many situation, but most new construction and retrofit is done in flex.

Last edited:

Raye7r

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2009
    Parke County
    Just a regular heat pump. My wife took the recommendation of one of her friends for this installer. Bottom line we have backed out of deal and they are supposed to be returning our deposit. He had talked about a 10% restocking but said he would waive it. Was looking on amazon you can buy a heat pump for way less than 2000 bucks. Seemed ridiculous. Have more estimates coming. Thanks you guys.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Very high quote. Metal duct work is better in a 2 story house. Are you living in a 2 story house? Also metal needs to be insulated because it can sweat.
    You could probably install the duct work yourself, and save yourself quite a bit of money. Or use duct board, better than flex and does not need to be insulated.
    Duct board is also easier to install than metal.
    Good luck and PM me for an honest HVAC installer that will not rip you off.

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Also Indiana is really to cold for Heat pumps to work efficiently. Tennessee is really as far North as you want to go for a Heat pump to work well.

not if you have no way for nat. gas. heat pump and electric back up is way better then lp most of the time

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    a 2 1/2 ton heat pump with matched fan/coil, TXV, new up to 50' line set, 20 KW heat kit and new programmable t-stat would be less then $6000.00 for me to do it. this does not include media rack for 5" filter or the extra wiring needed to run the 20 kw heat(assuming you already have a 30 amp service for your currant air handler. im not really sure why you would be needing to replace the flex duct?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    When the temps get below 30, they start to lose efficiency, and I would just about bet your "emergency" heat kicks on.
    I've seen mine get down into the high teens before the Aux indicator comes on. It's not below that for very long here during the winter. Of course this year we did have several "polar vortex" days when it was running on strip heat most of the time. But still my heating bills weren't much more than normal winter months. When the home was built we foamed and caulked every crack or opening that we could.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I had my home built 5 years ago, I picked a top of the line 16 seer heat pump. It's been awesome. I can't find my contract to look up the exact cost, but the unit and all mechanical work, ducts, etc., was no where near as much as $18,500. Maybe it's that much more for installing in an existing home, but I wouldn't think it should be.

Depends on degree of difficulty and who you call in to do it.

Top Bottom