• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Wanted to get your guys input on getting a heavy barrel semi-auto in .22lr for taget shooting out to about 75yrds. Pros? cons? Would .22 be ok out that far (im pretty sure it would be, but dont hurt to ask) perhaps a scope recamendation to from those who has or have had a set-up lke this. Would be fun to shoot with an the GF would like it as well. My shoulder just cant take repeated recoil from the bigger rifles that much anymore, plus its alot cheaper:D. thanks fellas

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I take coyotes out at 100-130 yards with my .22, so its plenty good enough for target shooting at 75 yards.

The man you need to get a hold of is ShootinDave. He just took first place in the NWI meet and shoot competition with his heavy barrel semi auto .22. I think it was a Ruger 10/22 with some aftermarket stuff. But I tried it out after the competition, and it would make a single hole at 25 yards.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Ruger® 10/22® Target Autoloading Rifle Models

Ruger 10/22 Target Tactical Semi-Auto .22 Carbine

My brother owns a Ruger 10/22 Target Tactical. It is BORINGLY accurate at 100 yards.

picture.php

picture.php

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Im gonna strogley consider getting one. Would be neat to take one to 100yrds. Hard to beat the price of ammo, get alot of practice in for not much money

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    for a semi auto, the Ruger 10/22 is the best bet out there, but if you are open to bolt actions, the Savage Mark V is usually at the top of the list for bolt actions. I have both and both are great guns. The ruger 10/22 for fast paced plinking, and the Savage Mark II for more accurate slower shooting.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    So Im guessin the Ruger10/22 would be the recomendation on the rifle I should get? Or would others be ok also?

There are certainly other rifles to choose from, but the Ruger 10/22 is an outstanding rifle.

IMG054.jpg

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    for a semi auto, the Ruger 10/22 is the best bet out there, but if you are open to bolt actions, the Savage Mark V is usually at the top of the list for bolt actions. I have both and both are great guns. The ruger 10/22 for fast paced plinking, and the Savage Mark V for more accurate slower shooting.

I am partial to the ruger in semi autos, and VERY partial to the cz452 if you are considering a bolt action.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    yes the CZ 452 is another excellent rifle, I don't think anyone would disagree with that at all. Hard to go wrong with Ruger, Savage, or CZ.

Just stay the hell away from Remington 597's, they are the worst .22 out there. Do yourself a great favor and do not even look at them.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i bought a mp 15-22. it has i kind of heavey barrel. i really dont have enough experiance with it to give a full recomendation. its a blast to shoot, and ive put 1500ish rds threw it without one ftf. i was getting reliable hits at 200 but it was on a 10inch plate so it doesn't really count.

as far as optics i put a nikon prostaff rimfire on it. im not sure exactly what i was thinking when i bought it. not that its a bad scope but i could have done alot better for 150 bucks. its one of those things i ordered it before really thinking it threw then said what was i thinking.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I have a Ruger 10/22 with a Bushnell 3x9x40 scope and a Henry 001 with a Simmons 22 magnum scope. Can drive nails at 50-75 yrds with either.
    There are a bunch of good 22lr's out there with any type action you may want for under $300 and a basic scope will do you well since there is minimal recoil. Go out and get what feels good to you and then shoot it all yo can.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Well I deffinatly want a Semi-Auto, Ive always been a Savage guy but Ill give the ruger a good look. Thanks for all the recomendations fellas, Greatly appreciated

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Given the aftermarket support for the Ruger 10/22 it would be tough to pick any other 22 semi-auto. You can go mild to wild, even the factory offerings run a wide range from plinking to target models. My 10/22s run a wide range of uses with different purposes.

Currently I run 4,

A ultra lightweight using a Tactical Solutions barrel and Boyd stock, this one is so light it can be shot one handed like a pistol. A great rifle for hiking and backpacking

boyd1022.jpg

A much heavier target rifle with Volquartzen barrel and Fajen stock, this one will shoot 1/2 inch at 100 yards with ammo it like, the heaviest 10/22 I own and the most accurate.

fajen1022.jpg

A M1 Carbine conversion, cheap practice for the Inland carbine as well as being a good Appleseed set-up. It has Tech Sights on it but I have discovered i like the NoDak Spud sights better.

rugerm1both.jpg

And my latest build which uses only a single Ruger part...the stock screw. This will be the host for my suppressed barrel when it gets approved and was really set up as an Appleseed rifle. The Nodak Spud sights allow for easy optic mounting as well and the Timney trigger breaks like the proverbial glass rod at 2.1 pounds.

10221-1.jpg

cdscds

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    I actually have one of those exact rugers for sale or trade topped with a newer leupold made redfields..... They have from the factory adjustable target triggers, come with bipods, and shoot soooooo sweet...... I just got into lever actions so I have to turn mine loose for another xtr Winchester 94-22

Top Bottom