• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm running off some 44 Colt so I though it would be a good time to post up some info about heeled cartridges as I was making them. Heeled cartridges are an early development of cartridge ammo coming out of the cap and ball era. The two big differences are visible in the picture with the heeled 44 Colt above an internal lubed 44 Russian. Both of these are from the 1870s. The heeled cartridge has a bullet that is actually the diameter of the outside of the case instead of the inside. There is a short stem at the base of the bullet that is the internal diameter and fits inside the case. Where this transitions is called the "heel". This fixes the cartridge length as you can't adjust it. Lube groves are outside above the cartridge rim, which was never popular as it collected dirt and was messy.

Making this ammo is a little tricky as crimping the cartridge is not as easy and lubing them is messy. Everything I shoot that is chambered for heeled ammo uses BP and soft lead bullets. Never known for great accuracy, you sometimes have to depend on solid bullet obturation to get good engagement of the rifeling. Colt made good use of this though in their Richards conversion in the 1870s as it allowed them to use 1860 army barrels among other parts. This cleaned up inventory and got a cartridge revolver into the public's hands just before the roll out of the ubiquitous SAA.

Heeled cartridges have passed into history along with large rimfire like 32, 38, and 45. All that is left is the 22 rimfire which is still made in a heeled design.

helvsin.jpg

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    What a coincidence. I was just watching a video of Duelist1954 shooting a cartridge conversion for the 1851 Navy. He was using
    hollow base wad cutters and heeled bullets. If I were to get a conversion for mine I think it would be easier to use the hollow base
    rather than the heeled. I've got several uses for .38's and will set up a Dillon for them.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've turned down buying a couple of rifles because they were chambered for .32 rimfires and I didn't want to go down that hole.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've turned down buying a couple of rifles because they were chambered for .32 rimfires and I didn't want to go down that hole.

I think Larry Potterfield of Midway has a video out on how to convert them to 32-20.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    You're bound and determined to send me down that rabbit hole ,are you?
    Once you have the gun, brass, dies, bullets and a little info you're set. Found that with 25-20 which is similar to 32-20. Faster and small or larger and a little slower. Take your pick. The gun can be cheaper than ammo or brass.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    What a coincidence. I was just watching a video of Duelist1954 shooting a cartridge conversion for the 1851 Navy. He was using
    hollow base wad cutters and heeled bullets. If I were to get a conversion for mine I think it would be easier to use the hollow base
    rather than the heeled. I've got several uses for .38's and will set up a Dillon for them.

I use Hornady swaged lead 38 HBWC bullets in 38 LC instead of casting heeled ones. Even with BP these do pretty well in my Colt Lightnings and New Armys. Casting HB bullets for these guns is a ponderous process, but I do it for 41 LC.

Top Bottom