• Status
    Not open for further replies.

linkinpark9812

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lake County, Town of Munster
    Hello fellow Hoosiers! My name is Miles. I am from Munster, Indiana (Located in Lake County)

I just recently turned 18 and for my B-day present, I went to Deb's Gun Range in Hammond with my dad.

They do not have many gun's to rent, so i choose the Glock 19C (Cal. 9mm). This was the first time I ever shot a gun (beside BB's lol). My dad has shot before but it was a long time ago. So the guy behind the counter gives us a quick safety lesson, and we are on our way down stairs.

Just before we did, I found out just how loud a gunshot from a handgun is. Even from upstairs it sounded like a BIG explosion. So we went down there and one person was down there firing. MAN was it loud, even with ear protection (he may have been firing a .45 or .357, because my 9mm didn't seem as loud). So I look at the gun, get a feel for it. I was glad that I was looking into Glocks and SiG's months before this so i knew what i was handed (sort of).

So I loaded it. And for some reason i thought pulling the trigger for the first time was the hardest, because you don't know what to expect. So all I did was aim and fire. The kick was nothing, due to it being a 9mm WITH a compensator (19C). I shot 100 shots and did pretty damn good hitting a target 50 feet away (granted I was aiming and paused between shots.

I hope to go back again and practice shorter range, without aiming, for self defense. probably practice rapid fire and such, anything that would help in self defense situations in close proximity.

My parents agreed they will let me carry at 21. I plan on getting a SiG P229 with a caliber of .40

When I get money, I am going to take a NRA class at Deb's Gun Range.

Sorry about typing a whole story. Once I get started, its hard to stop lol.

Also, I am very interested in just about any electronics (especially computers) and I am very knowledgeable in that area. I am also interested in Law Enforcement (all aspects). I got interested in Police (and guns) when I was robbed outside my house. No weapon was displayed but some force was used. but that is another story all together. If you really want to hear it, I could post the police report on here.

I am glad I found these forums. I like having a forum where I can talk to people that are nearby, better understand the laws in this fine state, and learn from others that have experience.

Thanks for having me here! :D:D:D

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Welcome! And thanks for sharing your story!

Keep in mind that every one of us current INGOers started out exactly like you are now. Don't be afraid to peruse the site, and ask questions if you can't already find the info.

BTW, you can legally obtain your LTCH (license to carry handgun) at the age of 18, but you cannot purchase a handgun yourself until you are 21. Theoretically you could get your lifetime permit tomorrow, and your father could "gift" you any handgun he wanted to and you'd be OK to carry it. I don't know if this changes what your parents agree to while you live with them, but just wanted to make you aware of it.

linkinpark9812

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Welcome! And thanks for sharing your story!

Keep in mind that every one of us current INGOers started out exactly like you are now. Don't be afraid to peruse the site, and ask questions if you can't already find the info.

BTW, you can legally obtain your LTCH (license to carry handgun) at the age of 18, but you cannot purchase a handgun yourself until you are 21. Theoretically you could get your lifetime permit tomorrow, and your father could "gift" you any handgun he wanted to and you'd be OK to carry it. I don't know if this changes what your parents agree to while you live with them, but just wanted to make you aware of it.

Oh, I already told them all of that lol. How it could be done, etc. I have looked into the laws a lot and read a lot on these forums as well.

But, as of now, that is there rule. They don't care if I get my permit now, its just that they wont let me carry anyways. I'll have to save up $125 tho.

I would have to give my dad the money (after I save up lol), so the "gift" thing would almost be like not getting a gift. I thought that a parent could hand down a gun to there kids and that would be in the legal norm, even if I gave them the money.

O well, they said 21, and 21 will let me just buy it and whatnot.

I am just glad that my dad is letting me go to the range. As long as I pay, he will take me there (have to be 21 to rent too). I don't think they want me to be 21 to carry, its just that my brother that is 4 years younger will be older by then. They seem to not want a gun in the house. I have already talked to them about how the gun can be safely stored, etc. but it isn't working so whatever. I'll keep quite for now. I am trying to be convincing with what has happened in the area. I get a list of what has happened in our town every week (police blotter they call it). A few days ago, two people were robbed at gun point IN FRONT OF THEIR HOUSE. The descriptions of the subjects seem similar to the guys that robbed me (they didn't have a weapon tho) so idk if my case and there's are related. That may slowly convince my mom about the idea getting a gun tho, as crime is rising due to economy (at least in this area).

btw, Thanks every one for the welcomes! :D:D:D

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    But, as of now, that is there rule. They don't care if I get my permit now, its just that they wont let me carry anyways. I'll have to save up $125 tho.

If you live in their house, then you must abide by their rules-- I understand.

If they are OK with you getting a permit, I'd go ahead and take care of that as soon as possible. It will take you several months to receive it, so you might as well start the process now.

As I do with any gun newbie, I HIGHLY recommend taking a professionally taught pistol course at some point. Sure, the NRA Basic course will be a great appetizer, but to have confidence while carrying you'll need something more advanced. Check out the Tactics and Training forum for classes being held in your area.

linkinpark9812

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    If you live in their house, then you must abide by their rules-- I understand.

If they are OK with you getting a permit, I'd go ahead and take care of that as soon as possible. It will take you several months to receive it, so you might as well start the process now.

As I do with any gun newbie, I HIGHLY recommend taking a professionally taught pistol course at some point. Sure, the NRA Basic course will be a great appetizer, but to have confidence while carrying you'll need something more advanced. Check out the Tactics and Training forum for classes being held in your area.

Ya, I'll have to do a search for the training. I was looking at one place (not near here, just an example) and it seems pretty intensive. Seems like They want you to take the NRA Basic first and be good, so I guess it would be good to practice at the range before taking the advance class.

What I want to do is, once I get a job, buy a gun and use that gun at the range, for the NRA course, and for the advance course. It would be nice to use a gun that, after I take all the classes, actually be carrying.

Maybe once I get a job and some money, I will talk to my parents about it. I just don't want to use a rental for shooting and classes all the time, using a gun that I won't be carrying.

Thanks for all the info! :D

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    Welcome

Welcome from just up the road in Hammond, grew up in Munster. Great town to live in.

Look up the northwest indiana group when you get a chance.

I also tried out Deb's 19C for my first trip there.

linkinpark9812

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Welcome from just up the road in Hammond, grew up in Munster. Great town to live in.

Look up the northwest indiana group when you get a chance.

I also tried out Deb's 19C for my first trip there.

Thanks Everyone! Northwest Indiana Group? Is that on this website or elsewhere?

EDIT: Nvm, its the one on the forum and I already joined it a while ago! :)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom