Not open for further replies.

zekedageek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Bloomington
    Hello INGO!

In the last 2 years I became a homeowner, husband, father and Lifetime carry license holder.. in that order.. I think the first three are what 'triggered' the third, some sort of protective instinct must have kicked in. I never even considered gun ownership until then.

I recently inherited an older .22lr 9 shot revolver from my great grandfater, it's the only firearm I own, not counting my Red Rider BBgun from childhood.

I'm considering purchasing something like a 410 or 20 gauge to fend off the coyotes that are becoming evermore fearless on my property. I'm also considering the purchase of a handgun for personal/home protection.

I've never attended a gun show (though my brother is a bodybuilder and has invited me to 'the gun show' on numerous occasions :):) but I was thinking of heading up to the 1500 this weekend. Would a total newbie such as myself be lost at the show? Would I be better off sticking with local retailers?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Welcome to the group!

:welcome:

Going to the 1500 by yourself would be an overwhelming experience if you are inexperienced with current firearms. You would be like a kid in a candy store with no real way to sample anything. My suggestion would be to go with a friend that is truly knowledgeable in firearms. Beware those who think they know if you know what I mean.

I am not saying not to go. If nothing else it will introduce you to a bunch of varied weaponry. Take a note pad and list firearms that interest you. Then go home and research them on the web to find out the good and bad, and get an idea of going prices. You have a great site here for info on what you might find interesting.

About hitting local dealers, that is not bad, but remember that they are in it to make money, good thing yes, but some of them know it all, and what they know many times is just folklore.

Good luck, and why not just go and enjoy the show as if it was a museum!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    You can go to MCSports to check things out. Andrew who works there is a nice guy and not a blow-hard. I can't guarantee that for anyone else who works there.

Good luck. And never buy a handgun until you borrow one to shoot. Decide what you'd like and then find someone who will go to the range with you and let you shoot theirs. What you think you want and what you actually want aren't always the same. It costs a lot of money to learn these lessons the hard way, so be smart and test-drive.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

If you decide to go to the 1500, go find the INGO table and I'm sure there will be lots of fellow INGO'ers hanging around that would be happy to show you around the show.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    If you want to try out a few things, there are tons of Btown people on this board (me included). I am sure we can get you to a range to try some stuff out.

As for stores. Yep, MCSports & Andrew. Period.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Go for it!

I say "Go to the 1500!" just for the show. But don't plan on buying anything...yet. That place is an experience in and of itself - you WILL be amazed. There will be a TON of products - talk to the vendors, but take everything they say with a grain of salt. See what is out there - and listen carefully. Find a friend who is gun-savvy to go with you. Bewtter yet, find a gun club near B-town and go visit. You will find most folks will be very helpful.

Wecome to the "club" and good shootin'

ol' poke.

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    :welcome: There is good advice in the previous posts. I would say, Go, look around but don't plan on buying. You will see a lot of stuff that you can never see visiting one shop. Some people there will give you good information. Others will feed you more BS than you can ever swallow. After visiting shows, shops and searching the internet you will have a much better idea what you want and need. If you have a knowledgeable friend take him along. Most of all, have fun, meet people and drool over a lot of neat toys. :D

zekedageek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Bloomington
    MC Sports and Andrew.. That's good to know.. In the past I've been underwhelmed with my experience there and at Dicks.. I figured ACE would be a waste of time.

As for going to the show.. Yeah, I thought it'd be the best way to 'get the feel' for a number of different items. Now just gotta find that knowledgeable person to go with..

TheLoneRaider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Phoenix
    welcomeingo.gif

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort

And in regards to the 1500, just research and know pricing on items that you are interested in, deals are to be had but anymore prices are up everywhere including the 1500.

Many local retailers are there too...

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Hello zekedageek,

:welcome: to :ingo: from Marshall County, :yesway: Glad you joined us here. :)
    I would say a 410 or 20 ga would also work great for home defence! But a handgun would be grrreat to have also! :)

one more

:welcome: There is good advice in the previous posts. I would say, Go, look around but don't plan on buying. You will see a lot of stuff that you can never see visiting one shop. Some people there will give you good information. Others will feed you more BS than you can ever swallow. After visiting shows, shops and searching the internet you will have a much better idea what you want and need. If you have a knowledgeable friend take him along. Most of all, have fun, meet people and drool over a lot of neat toys. :D

I also agree with Digital_photog! :+1:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom