• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • docapos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    mooresville area
    I am looking for thoughts on using alternatives such as carbon fiber motorcycle helmets in lieu of high speed=expensive ballistic or steel pots. don't get me wrong i know that you get what you pay for but even a direct hit on a team wendy has a high probability of killing you.

docapos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    mooresville area
    th

And I'll go ahead and beat the inevitable response

catfishjn69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    West side of Indy
    I guess it my thoughts are what are you wanting to protect from? bullets, blunt hits? shrapnel? just bumping your head in a combat enviroment? from there determine what you really need. could be as simple as a skate boarder helmet to a full k-pot. I tend to think that for the weight the skate boarder helmet would handle 90% of the danger without looking like I was in the military and sticking out in a crowd

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Was on the same thought last summer! Went to the "town garage sale" day and walked up and down for a couple of hours. Nada.
    Started cutting grass, and my neighbor(my earlier shopping partner) stops over and we took a ride to his work friends home.

Looked like an Army Surplus Store! Bought a steel pot w/ liner, WW2 backpack, Canteen w/cup and cover(SS Steel), mess kit w/ utensils, M1 Bayonet(don't even have a rifle to use it on), compass, first aid pouch, pistol belt, and canvas leggings.
    $125.00 for all! My wifey thinks I have lost my mind, now I have most areas covered, and my used Alice pack(BOB) is filling up. I saw a K-pot there, but he wanted $100.00 just for that! Passed on that. This guy buys and sells for WW2 Reenactors, and his hobby is his thing now.

add: Just ordered a USMC camo cover for the helmet off ebay. It looks like the same camo as "Sands Of Iwo Jima"(John Wayne classic)
    Felt the OD green was boring. Saw a place in China thet makes a lot of that camo stuff, but this one was in the USA.
    Guess now is the tin foil time or should wait till the cover arrives? Oh well, now is okay.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    not worth the trouble and the weight.....

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner!!!!

The GI Helmets aren't bullet proof so in my simple little mind what's the point. Are you just trying to look tacticool? Not trying to be a smart arse or anything, but honestly why? For collecting, I get it. For nostalgia, I get it. To think when the SHTF you're going to be rocking a kevlar and you'll be safer, I don't get it.

In my simple/dumb opinion, I'll trade the weight of a helmet for the weight of additional ammo/water any day of the week.

docapos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    mooresville area
    Thanks for all the comments, as I agree a helmet may be hot or heavy at times the difference for me is I believe it could be an asset to protect from shrapnel or general area debris. Only having experience with issued kevlars I appreciate some of the options presented.

docapos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    mooresville area
    Motorcycle helmets are made of styrofoam with a plastic shell. What do you expect to be hitting you on the head?

Any helmet would protect against bumps and random material being flung around so the key words as in the OP would have to be carbon fiber. With that strong of a material on the curved contour of a helmet anybody have an idea if it could deflect a round?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Don't see private contractors in hot areas wearing those heavy things, take that as a sign.

Depends on the contract and threat level. I spent my time with an external vest and kevlar helmet during the run up to the Iraqi elections, and I was a private contractor so far in the rear I could eat at Burger King.

Helmets aren't bullet proof, but they are a lot more bullet resistant than your skull. I've seen some bent all to crap that took a 7.62 from a distance. Yeah, if he's 50m away its probably getting through. If he's 300m away, you may walk away with a head ache.*

* Or you may not.

I keep a kevlar in my trunk, and I guarantee you if I roll up on an active shooter, I'm going in and I'm going in with my helmet.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    Thanks for all the comments, as I agree a helmet may be hot or heavy at times the difference for me is I believe it could be an asset to protect from shrapnel or general area debris. Only having experience with issued kevlars I appreciate some of the options presented.

The original purpose of the Helmet was to protect against air-burst artillery shells. The modern US helmet is meant to do the same but is more often used to prevent concussions, or general head trauma. The military has done research into "bullet proof" helmets, and while they can be made the major issue is that even if the helmet stops the bullet, the force of the round causes major neck trauma. Even if the helmet stops the bullet, the soldier would most likely have a broken neck so it is pointless to purchase them.

I would go with a good motorcycle or bicycle helmet for your SHTF needs.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    If your intent in wearing a helmet is to protect your head from injury, then you need to buy a high quality helmet designed for the hazards you might be exposed to. On the civilian side, the Snell Foundation does extensive research, testing, certification, and post-accident investigation of helmets used in motorcycling, auto racing, kart racing, bicycling, skiing, snowboarding, and other activities. You'll note that survivalism not a listed activity among the Snell standards. I don't know where that leaves you other than studying the standards and then determining which standard best fits your intended use. I have no doubt that the military also does a fair amount of testing and evaluation of their helmets.

My only experience with helmets are those used in auto racing. My last helmet was, I think a Bell M-Sport Kevlar (a model they no longer make). It had a Snell SA95 certification. Inexpensive racing helmets have a fiberglass shell with a styrofoam insert. More expensive helmets use Kevlar, Nomex, or carbon fiber to increase the strength and lower the weight. The helmet shell protects the wearer from intrusion and abrasion while the insert protects the wearer from blunt force trauma. SA-rated helmets typically have a cloth liner made from Nomex or other flame retardant material since there's a likelihood that a race car driver will be trapped in a burning vehicle. Once a helmet is involved in an accident, it should not be used again because there may be internal failures that you can't see. In fact, helmets from accidents should be sent to the Snell Foundation so they can examine and test it to further their research.

Also, a helmet does you no good if it's not on your head. You have to wear your helmet properly and tighten the chin strap per the manufacturer's instructions to keep the helmet on your head.

As for cheap motorcycle helmets with plastic shells, I would stay awy from them. They simply don't have the proper design or materials to protect your head. If you can see a mold part line running across the dome of the helmet, put it back on the shelf. More than likely, one good hit and the helmet will separate at the part line.

There used to be a big sign up inside the Bell Helmet shop in Gasoline Alley at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway that read "If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet."

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The PASGT helmet was an interesting change and not necessarily a welcome one. At least with the steel pot/helmet liner you had something you could heat water in and wash/shave with; couldn't do that with the "Fritz" helmet. And, as I found when I was trying to qualify w/an M4 in 2006, it's very hard to shoot from the prone position wearing IBA and a Fritz. The MICH I got issued AFTER M4 qual fit much better. I notice in some pictures of SOCOM operators, they seem to be wearing even more abbreviated helmets than the MICH, perhaps more for protecting the head against banging against things and supporting communications and electronics than for protection against shrapnel and bullets.

As with any other personal requirements, it's probably a good idea to figure out what you really want a helmet to do, then figure out if you want to pay the costs to procure that level of protection.

Top Bottom