• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So I've lived my whole life in Indiana and have never seen these birds until Oct. of this year. We were geocaching in SouthEastway Park in Indy and came across a flock of 10-15 one early Sat. morning. At the time I guessed they were some sort of released Turkey breed, but a coworker identified them for me. Are these common, yet I have never come across them? Whats the scoop on them, are they hunted, raised...??? Kind of a neat bird. I looked on the IDNR site and nothing came up when searching them.:)
    dsc01523r.jpg

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think they were released there... But I don't know if it was by the parks department or someone in the area.

I don't know if they're raised as a food source, but many folks have them just to have them.

They're pretty...and help control bug populations.

-J-

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Lots of people use them believe it or not like bug eating watch dogs. Locals around pendleton used to have 20-30 of them running around the barn yards and homes. At night they are not good watch birds but during the day if something is around you will know about it.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Lots of people use them believe it or not like bug eating watch dogs. Locals around pendleton used to have 20-30 of them running around the barn yards and homes. At night they are not good watch birds but during the day if something is around you will know about it.

This is right on. We have had thirty or so, now we have only three thanks to Mr. an Mrs. Coyote. At night they roost and are dead to the world, during the day they are very alert and they eat bugs. They are kinda interesting, but they can't be fully tamed like chickens.

Terry

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    My grandparents kept them and would eat their eggs. Dont recall them eating the actual bird but I am sure they did. My grandfather being a depression era person was part goat and would eat anything.

The make a ridiculous amount of noise when alarmed. They lived almost four miles from the nearest paved road and didn't get much traffic so anybody that came down their lane would set them off like an alarm clock.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Guinea's are an old line of fowl that come & go in popularity. I have had several for years and they never quite reach the tameness of the chickens. They are truly called by the wild They are Not a chicken but must be distantly related. They are not terribly smart, make great watch dogs and seem to have problems seeing in low light conditions. We eat their eggs, no noticeable difference in taste but have never eaten the bird. Most people love them or hate them

rhinoabe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Jennings Co.
    Wonder how they would taste wrapped with bacon?

My neighbor sells about 100 guinea foul a year to a guy in Cincinnati. He says he passes them off as pheasant in his restaurant, he also sells him 100 pheasant. To us they are just to UGLY to eat and kind of neat to keep around.

Squirrel Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Daughter does poultry in 4-H. She got a few guineas when she bought her laying hens. They did a great job keeping bugs out of the garden and controling ticks last year.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    This is an absolutely delicious bird and I would say the best I have ever had in my life. I've only had it roasted over hard wood and coals and wouldn't care to try it any other way.

Top Bottom