• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netlander10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    I take mine apart and put it together a little different. I suspect others do too. Im not much for the bushing wrench so i put the spring, bushing and spring plug in the slide then assemble the slide to the frame that way. done it that way for years now. Damn spring and spring pug is a missile if it takes off on you, i can see it going into drywall. Anyway if u train yourself to assemble it with the slide all together it is much easier and quicker too! I think Ed Brown also shows this way on his cd.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    You could have bent Firing Pin Plunger Lever. Had a young man helping paint the barns had Warthog that he could not get to work. Slide would not work. I took the slide off and seen he had bent the Firing Pin Plunger Lever. I put it in a vice and bent the part back and the slide worked. Told him to buy a new part and put it in as I would not trust the gun until the part was replaced. I had never seen this before. The gun owner had cleaned it over several years of ownership but he forced the slide when he knew that it should slide free.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I take mine apart and put it together a little different. I suspect others do too. Im not much for the bushing wrench so i put the spring, bushing and spring plug in the slide then assemble the slide to the frame that way. done it that way for years now. Damn spring and spring pug is a missile if it takes off on you, i can see it going into drywall. Anyway if u train yourself to assemble it with the slide all together it is much easier and quicker too! I think Ed Brown also shows this way on his cd.
    This is fine if you have the grip in your hands to hold the slide back against the force of the recoil spring and then you can install the slide stop without making an idiot mark.

I have an 18# spring in my Wilson Combat and I have no issues pushing the plug in, turning the bushing, and then slowly letting the plug and spring out all by hand. I can do the opposite to reinstall without issue.

That said, if I were going to disassemble/reassemble dozens of times I'd likely go to the fully-assembled slide method simply to save my fingertips. I've done the fully-assembled slide method numerous times when I had a full length guide rod but not so much with the GI plug setup.

That said - if you use this method for disassembly - worse things can happen like shooting your slide off the gun [and into the wall, table, floor, whatever]. I'd rather shoot a plug+spring than a slide as the plug/spring are cheap and easy to replace.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My son has a small scar above his eye from a flying plug from my Para. It has the 2 piece guide rod so the edge of the plug acts like a cookie cutter when it hits flesh. Lessons learned.

kbailey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette
    I find this to come in handy:

p1011966.jpg

Top Bottom