• ...and so much more!
  • pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    Fixed! But now another problem/question

Great advice on tapping the hole on the Anderson lower for the pistol grip. It worked. Would have never thought of it. Next problem....

The trigger guard. I was able to get the roll pin installed. The other end of the trigger guard is to be secured by a set screw (with small allen wrench). I cannot screw the set screw in flush. it goes through the lower hole, but the hole on the inside of the trigger guard is not deep enough to support the length of the the set screw, which isn't very long. I can secure it, but the set screw isn't flush. I thought maybe it somehow grinds its way in, but this doesn't appear to be the case. Videos I see, it screws right in. The only way I could think to fix, would be to take a drill and drill the hole on the trigger guard, but this seems extreme. What am I missing???

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

I've got pretty much the same thing you're building. PSA kit on an Anderson lower. My set screw fits flush.

I don't remember but I think the threads are in the lower, not the trigger guard. You can take the trigger guard off and see if you can thread the set screw flush. If so, a correct size drill bit into the trigger guard to clean it up will work. If it doesn't go in flush, might have to tap the threads on it also.

pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    Bigtanker, the lower seems threaded, the plastic Magpul part not sure its threaded. Can I just drill it a bit wider and deeper? If I try to put the set screw just in the plastic part it does not screw in--could hole be too narrow or too shallow. it screws into the lower fine.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Great advice on tapping the hole on the Anderson lower for the pistol grip. It worked. Would have never thought of it. Next problem....

The trigger guard. I was able to get the roll pin installed. The other end of the trigger guard is to be secured by a set screw (with small allen wrench). I cannot screw the set screw in flush. it goes through the lower hole, but the hole on the inside of the trigger guard is not deep enough to support the length of the the set screw, which isn't very long. I can secure it, but the set screw isn't flush. I thought maybe it somehow grinds its way in, but this doesn't appear to be the case. Videos I see, it screws right in. The only way I could think to fix, would be to take a drill and drill the hole on the trigger guard, but this seems extreme. What am I missing???

Can you provide a picture?

Sounds like you got a Monday or Friday lower. I would have hoped a company's QA would catch this. If yours has issues, the 50 before or after yours probably has the same issue.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Bigtanker, the lower seems threaded, the plastic Magpul part not sure its threaded. Can I just drill it a bit wider and deeper? If I try to put the set screw just in the plastic part it does not screw in--could hole be too narrow or too shallow. it screws into the lower fine.

I'd drill it out just a bit larger than the set screw. It's not holding anything in but just keeps it from moving around. If that doesn't work, a new trigger guard isn't that much.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    This is why I hate Anderson crap. Flame on :ar15:
    You Get what you pay for and I have probably built more Anderson lowers than anyone in this thread (not bragging just stating facts) and I think they are **** a lot of times and if you get one with zero issues you got lucky. If you bought Anderson to save afew bucks and then have to go out and buy $10-$15 worth of tools to get it within build specs then you should have just in the very least got an aero brand lower to start.
    I've seen issues first hand with more than one noveske lower too so **** happens, but the odds are not in your favor with an Anderson. Seems like they've slipped even further. Buyer beware.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

You should be okay drilling the trigger guard a bit deeper. They're like, what, $8.00? I wouldn't do anything to the lower. Have you tried screwing in the set screw while the guard isn't mounted in place? It didn't get cross-threaded by any chance?

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    You should be okay drilling the trigger guard a bit deeper. They're like, what, $8.00? I wouldn't do anything to the lower. Have you tried screwing in the set screw while the guard isn't mounted in place? It didn't get cross-threaded by any chance?

Assuming it's a plastic trigger guard, do they even come threaded? I'm trying to work from memory, but I was thinking the set screw kind of acted as a self-tapping screw with the plastic trigger guards.

pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    The problem with the trigger guard isn't the lower (this time--it was for the pistol grip issue). The problem is the receiving hole on the inside plastic magpul part. It needs to be deeper and wider, as the screw itself is not creating to space itself (it's a small flat set screw). I am going to try to drill it a bit to create more space. Wish me luck!!!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I must be lucky. I've had maybe 4 or 5 Anderson lowers and have not had issues with any of them. I did have a PSA lower once that was out of spec. That being said I would agree that one should consider the fact that purchasing a budget priced item there might possibly be a chance that an issue may exist.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The problem with the trigger guard isn't the lower (this time--it was for the pistol grip issue). The problem is the receiving hole on the inside plastic magpul part. It needs to be deeper and wider, as the screw itself is not creating to space itself (it's a small flat set screw). I am going to try to drill it a bit to create more space. Wish me luck!!!

You don't by chance have the trigger guard on backwards do you? By that I mean, front is where the back should be and vice versa. It will fit just fine, and the pin will work just fine, but the set screw not so much (and now that I think about it, I may have that backwards). And then once it's installed like that, your mag won't go into the mag well. Ask me how I know... :):

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    You don't by chance have the trigger guard on backwards do you? By that I mean, front is where the back should be and vice versa. It will fit just fine, and the pin will work just fine, but the set screw not so much (and now that I think about it, I may have that backwards). And then once it's installed like that, your mag won't go into the mag well. Ask me how I know... :):

I didn't think about that.

mlewis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm going to say +1 on the problem being with the trigger guard. That section of the lower shouldn't be threaded due to it being designed for a spring-loaded pin.

Top Bottom