• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Ok so last year I bought two 1851 navy revolvers in 44 and then last week I bought 50 cal rifle. I think I'd like to make my own bullets. But it seems like there are no molds that just say "use this for such and such caliber"

So the 44 will be general shooting for pleasure and a side arm while hunting an the 50 cal will be a hunting rifle. Can some one please tell me what molds I need for them?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Ok so last year I bought two 1851 navy revolvers in 44 and then last week I bought 50 cal rifle. I think I'd like to make my own bullets. But it seems like there are no molds that just say "use this for such and such caliber"

So the 44 will be general shooting for pleasure and a side arm while hunting an the 50 cal will be a hunting rifle. Can some one please tell me what molds I need for them?
    Many different molds will work for your applications.
    The bigger question is, which bullet weight/profile does your gun like.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    Round ball molds will cover the squares for revolvers which are usually .452 but I would check to be sure. The rifle will take something larger, but you should be good with two molds once you get a good read on the diameters. Hit GB and you might be able to pick up some two cavity molds very reasonably. Use soft lead.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    A .490 round ball mould and a .015" patch if your twist is 1:48 or slower. For faster twists you can cast a .44 or .45 pistol bullet and use a sabot. Lee makes a dual mould that is a round ball and their R.E.A.L. bullet. I shoot both.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Holy ****. I think there may be way more to this than I thought. I bought two 1851 revolvers bc they are awesome and I just got the 50 cal bc I've always wanted one. I know nothing and have never shot a muzzle loader.

What are the chances someone would like to take me under their wing and educate me.

Can we meet at a range? I'll buy lunch or something.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Too far away from me. It's really not too bad. You just need to see it done.
    What type of rifle did you get? Traditional or inline?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    Holy ****. I think there may be way more to this than I thought. I bought two 1851 revolvers bc they are awesome and I just got the 50 cal bc I've always wanted one. I know nothing and have never shot a muzzle loader.

What are the chances someone would like to take me under their wing and educate me.

Can we meet at a range? I'll buy lunch or something.

Lots of good stuff on the internet available, Blackie Thomas has a variety of videos on cap and ball revolvers in addition to his bushcraft stuff. Mike Beliveau is another one.

Old Dog

Expert
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I assume that you did not get owners manuals for the 1851s or the rifle. If you do a net search for the manuals, based on the manufacturer, I think you will find the info you seek. Also, buy all the black powder you can afford, as it is sometimes scarce. I will followup with some additional info after I look in my manuals.

Old Dog

Expert
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    T/C Treehawk .50 cal = .490, 175-177 gr. ball w/ .015 lubed patch. 50-110 gr. 2F black powder.

Pietta 1860 Colt and 1858 Remington = .454 round ball, no patches, 12-35 gr. 3F black powder. I use a wonder wad over powder, and seat ball well onto the wad. I have used a .451 round ball just for plinking.

Ruger Old Army = .457 round ball, no patches, wonder wad over powder, and seat ball well onto the wad, 15 gr. to as much 3F powder as you can stuff under the wad and ball and still seat the ball below cylinder edge. I have used .454 balls also with good results.

Pyrodex or Triple 7 loads will be different, but I don't use that crap.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions someone here can probably help.

Slow Hand

Master
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    If you’re just starting out, I’d buy some Hornady swaged round balls to shoot in each of them and some Minie styles for the rifle as well. Once you see what they like, you can get cheap Lee molds and start casting your own.

For the revolvers probably around 25gr of FFFg or FFg black powder or Pyrodex P. You’ll want to get an adjustable powder measure. I like the cylindrical type with the swing away funnel. You can scoop powder out of a can or bowl into the powder measure, but a brass powder flask will make it easier and less messy. You can use wonder wads over the powder and under the ball or seat the ball directly on top of the powder and seal the front of the cylinder with bore butter or just use crisco. Do all the loading then cap the nipples and fire away.

With the rifle as stared, between 50-100 gr of powder. For a .50 cal preferably FFg you n black or Pyrodex RS. Pour it down the barrel and if you’re using a round ball, sit the patch on the muzzle, center up the ball and then to make it easier use a short starter to get the bullet a few inches down the barrel. Then use the ram rod to firmly seat the ball on top of the powder. If you’re using a Minie style, you don’t use a patch. Cap it and fire away.

Top Bottom