• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chevy46514

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    I've been searching and searching for info pertaining to the Taurus PT1911 or the Metro Arms American Classic II for the past few weeks. The only difference I can see is that the Taurus comes with Straight 8 Sights, and an ambi Thumb Safety. Which of the two would you recommend and why?

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    unless you are comfy raising a firearm with 8 sights to a draw position, i would go with the metro. find a shop with one or both of them and go fondle them. which feels better in YOUR hand?

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I've heard good things about the Taurus and handled them in shops quite a bit when looking for my 1911. Decided against then because of the sights. I had straight 8 sights on a 24/7 and hated them. Can't say anything about the Metro as ive not heard much about them at all. I looked at everything that was in the $900 and lower range.

I ended up buying a Regent R200S and have been very pleased with it. They are in the $600 range. Did a review and posted it here

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ughts_umerex_regent_r200s_1911_pic_heavy.html

I've put another 300 rounds (150 being JHP) through it since the last post and it continues to run flawlessly. I do plan, however, to switch the sights out for Trijicon night sights when budget allows, But the stock ones are spot on.

chevy46514

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    unless you are comfy raising a firearm with 8 sights to a draw position, i would go with the metro. find a shop with one or both of them and go fondle them. which feels better in YOUR hand?

I've never messed with 8 sights... that has me skeered now... I guess if I don't like them I can always buy different ones and change them right?

I saw your review... it has me checking them out as well. Are the Regents Phillipine made also?

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    only thing with stacked 8's is that you must stack them on top of one another. without a few-many clips downrange, you will realize you are shooting high / low, just depending on what sight you put over the other.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I own 2 metro arm, a government and a commander. The commander is flawless, and the mag catch on the government is slightly out of spec.

I would highly recommend the metro over the taurus as the slide is not cast but forged, and you get a lot of bang for a little buck.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I've never messed with 8 sights... that has me skeered now... I guess if I don't like them I can always buy different ones and change them right?

I saw your review... it has me checking them out as well. Are the Regents Phillipine made also?

Turkish. Manufacturing company is Umarex, which also makes very high end airsoft stuff and, I'm told, does some stuff for H&K under license.

I love my Regent, IMHO, it's an excellent pistol for the money. BTW I got mine from Bradis. Don't know if they still have them in stock though.

chevy46514

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Well that doesn't sound good (with sights being high/low). I guess practice will have to make perfect. I guess it's time to hunt the full size used 1911 market. Any more observations throughout the day will be appreciated.

I've personally been leaning towards the american classic ii, but it's a bear finding a used FULL SIZE ONE! to be honest i'd probably take what i can get.

chevy46514

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    I don't think I like the "bling" too much on that. But thanks! That's a good price! IF anyone here comes by and has a fullsize 1911 for sale, refer to my WTB post. I'd be interested.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Taurus slide not cast.....

I own 2 metro arm, a government and a commander. The commander is flawless, and the mag catch on the government is slightly out of spec.

I would highly recommend the metro over the taurus as the slide is not cast but forged, and you get a lot of bang for a little buck.

Need to check your information..
    Starting with our own hammer-forged -not cast- ordnance grade steel frames, slides and barrels, we machine each and every part to tolerance levels that surpass even today's industry standards. From Taurus website.

I have a PT1911, shoot it alot, and am very pleaseed with it! Much better than my Colt 70 Series.

chevy46514

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    I would have bought the 38 super but it's just too much gold color for my preference. Thanks for the info Chance

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    What about the STI Spartan or the American Classic Commander for sale in the classifieds? Don't know much about the ACC, but STI makes a solid gun. Both are in your price range.

chevy46514

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    I think the Spartan is too high priced for no mags and no history. and the 2.5 hour drive to get it. The American Classic is definitely close, I'm very tempted, but the price is just a tad too high for me to compromise on a 4.25" barrel

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Have you even considered a Springfield? If you are looking used, I would think there would be a few in the price range you are comfortable with. Nothing against the RIs or Taurus models, I have had good experiences with both of those makes, thought the regent I have not had the opportunity to shoot, or look at outside of a gun show.

chevy46514

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    I had a Springer GI Champion. I didn't like the Champion size or the standard beavertail safety. But I'd be open to anything around $450 full size 1911 with decent sights and an extended beavertail in 45 cal

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    only thing with stacked 8's is that you must stack them on top of one another. without a few-many clips downrange, you will realize you are shooting high / low, just depending on what sight you put over the other.

How are you going to put the rear sight over the front?! the sight and back half of gun would obscure the front sight totally?! yes/no?

Top Bottom