• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    This 'lil guy was sunning on my back patio this afternoon...garters and milk snakes abound here, but never seen a snake quite like this.

Ideas?

13925218_10106695771087998_1880013045662795847_n.jpg

13901352_10106695771162848_4839157604803125703_n.jpg

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    It is a juvenile Black Racer.

Corn Snakes, AKA Red Rat Snakes, aren't found anywhere around here. Fox Snakes are, but only in the northern part of the state.

here is a pic of one.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    It is a juvenile Black Racer.

Corn Snakes, AKA Red Rat Snakes, aren't found anywhere around here. Fox Snakes are, but only in the northern part of the state.

here is a pic of one.

you look to be correct.I
    That is what I have been mistaken as a corn to years.Thanks for the info.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I didn't get a good look at the snake's underside.

After snapping the pictures, I let it go in the woods behind my back yard; far as I'm concerned there are plenty of baby bunnies, moles, field mice, etc. for it to grow big on.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas

After snapping the pictures, I let it go in the woods behind my back yard; far as I'm concerned there are plenty of baby bunnies, moles, field mice, etc. for it to grow big on.

They will eat about anything they can swallow. They aren't constrictors though, so they tend to eat more smaller things, including snakes.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

Atta boy
    It's nice to hear from people who don't freak out when they see a snake and understand snakes' place in the food chain.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    They will eat about anything they can swallow. They aren't constrictors though, so they tend to eat more smaller things, including snakes.
    Any cautions regarding care of a Black Racer bite? My wife believes she was bit by a juvenile today while mowing. She wasn't sure what it was but I found a dead juvenile last week and ID'd it from this thread; she saw one while mowing, didn't think anything of it and in the area near where she saw it go she felt a sharp pain on her ankle (and there is a small bite mark).

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Any cautions regarding care of a Black Racer bite? My wife believes she was bit by a juvenile today while mowing. She wasn't sure what it was but I found a dead juvenile last week and ID'd it from this thread; she saw one while mowing, didn't think anything of it and in the area near where she saw it go she felt a sharp pain on her ankle (and there is a small bite mark).

Since Black Racers are totally non-venomous, the only thing you need to do is disinfect by washing the bite thoroughly with soap and warm water, then bandage as needed.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas

Since Black Racers are totally non-venomous, the only thing you need to do is disinfect by washing the bite thoroughly with soap and warm water, then bandage as needed.

Nothing to worry about with this bite. There teeth are like needles and the bleeding quits quickly. Clean it up as you feel appropriate, and move on. Racers don't strike like a lot of snakes, they bite, then chew. They can make for a bloody bite, but they are harmless.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Nothing to worry about with this bite. There teeth are like needles and the bleeding quits quickly. Clean it up as you feel appropriate, and move on. Racers don't strike like a lot of snakes, they bite, then chew. They can make for a bloody bite, but they are harmless.

Thats about what I figured... thanks for the advice!

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    ...finding this thread amusing.

When I was a young pup growing up in Wyoming, we never looked at a snake trying to figure out what it was... certainly didn't take pictures of one or try to pick it up either. Out there we just assumed every snake was a rattler and it met the shovel blade rather quickly!

Top Bottom