• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zqdime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    I am in the market for a home defense revolver mainly, but also something to go out and punch some holes in targets occasionally. I am looking for something in .357 magnum and would like to stay under $500. I like the looks of the Taurus double action revolvers but am looking for some recommendations as I've never owned a revolver before. What do you suggest?

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If your not too concerned about weight toting it around as a EDC, it's hard to beat the Rugers... They are built like tanks. A GP100, SP101, or a used , discontinued security six / speed six would serve you well.

You couldn't go wrong with a Smith or Taurus either...

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Have shot all the smiths rugers and colts, my personal favorite and most accurate of them all the ruger gp 100 the ruger blackhawk is a really close second.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    If your not too concerned about weight toting it around as a EDC, it's hard to beat the Rugers... They are built like tanks. A GP100, SP101, or a used , discontinued security six / speed six would serve you well.

You couldn't go wrong with a Smith or Taurus either...

:+1:Have a 6" Security Six, great gun. A friend had a 4" GP100 was a great shooting gun, very accurate. All my Ruger revolvers a good guns, never had a problem with any of them. Like XremeVel said they are all built like tanks. I also have a 686 and it's one of my favorite revolvers.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've shot many of them. The Rugers are fine and I've shot them a lot, but I always liked the trigger action of the S&W revolvers the best, as well as, the way they handle. For what you are wanting it for a 4" S&W model 66, 19 or 686 (if you are going to feed it a steady diet of magnums) will fit the bill. Most of the best revolver men who ever lived used S&W revolvers, i.e. McGivern, Keith, Bill Jordan and Miculek.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Old school IS the way to go. S&W, Ruger, Colt.....any of these will serve you, your children, amd your grandchildren well.

GP100, SP 101, from Ruger and anything that start with a 6 (65, 66, 686,) by S&W will do you proud. If you can find a Ruger Security Six or Speed Six (older models), buy it and don't look back.

My Speed Six goes everywhere with me.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I agree with all the postings so far. A Ruger would be hard to beat. A GP100 would be a great choice, but you can often find great deals on older Security Six models on Gunbroker. Save a little money there and have some $ left over for ammo!

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    My father and I both own Rossi's, based off the Smith J-frame IIRC. Been super reliable, easy to care for and shoots straight (or as straight as a 2" bbl can!) every time.

zqdime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Go shoot a few. Hammers, Hamerless, S&W, Taurus, etc. Home defense is wide open. You can buy one you like.

where would I be able to "shoot a few" The only place around here that has a range doesn't rent any guns.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Been a while since I had one, but I'll add another vote for the Rugers. GP100 or SP101 should fill the role nicely. I have had both and they were great guns. I had a Colt King Cobra quite some years ago, and wasn't overly impressed with it. Wasn't bad, but wasn't as accurate or as well put together as the Rugers were. Colt's quality may be back these days though, they seem to go through some cycles of less than stellar quality from time to time.

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    Hard to beat a Ruger GP100 in a 4" .357 Very well built, accurate and reliable. S&W also has great revolvers but command a premium price. You can buy a new GP100 for about $520 poosibly a few dollars cheaper. It would provide great home protection as well as target shooter. It is my choice of revolvers. Tell us what you end up with.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    For something you're keeping at home/using for target practice you can't beat a 4" S&W 686. With the right setup you could carry daily but it isn't what I'd call light(I've carried it for awhile).

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I'm on the same page as many other responses here. My stainless GP-100 4" has been my favorite revolver since I bought it approx a year ago. It splits time between a range gun and bedside safe gun, and has been very accurate out of the box. Of course the S&W 686 is still another that I will suggest thought I don't own one (yet). I've shot a couple SP-101's and have really liked those (more if you plan on carrying it) but the gp-100 has the optional adjustable sights and larger frame/more weight, which makes range shooting more friendly/comfortable. The service/speed/security six's also get a vote.

If you're in the area, I'd be happy to let you put some rounds thru my GP-100.

Last edited:

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    All the suggestions so far have been really good.

But since you eluded to an in interest in Taurus revolvers I will tell say that I love mine. I have the Taurus 608 with a 6" ported barrel. Even shooting Full power .357 mag rounds is pretty easy going. 38 special +p are nearly no recoil at all, at least to me.

Given the 8 shot capacity and the super nice trigger I love the gun immensely. While mine does have a longer barrel than what you would want in a typical carry gun you can get the 608 model in various barrel lengths. I don't think you would regret getting one at all and I found mine on a gun forum for only $250 plus shipping so it is possible to pick one up really cheaply.

I wish you luck in getting yourself a good revolver.

Top Bottom