• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    I bought my first (and only, so far) AR a couple months back. It's an Andro. It's still pretty bare-bones, without even iron sights yet. I'm looking to learn what everyone thinks I should add... (I'm still quite the noob, just learning as I go). This rifle is mostly for fun at an outdoor range, and to mess around learning with.

Some cool related news: a family member had some "extra" gear he didn't need, so he recently gifted it to me. This will surely help the build.
    • Sig Sauer Romeo 4T red dot
    • Streamlight TLR-1 with pressure switch
    • Sling from Viking Tactics
    So, what should I do? Do I need iron sights? Maybe some that flip up?
    Should I mount the light above or below the barrel? Maybe below, on a small section of picatinny mounted on the underside via M-LOK?
    At what point along the top do I even mount the red dot? (Yes, that's how inexperienced I am.)
    How does the pressure switch look? Is it worth upgrading that?

Recommendations (general or specific products) much appreciated!

Pics below.

IMG-6605.jpg

IMG-6608.jpg IMG-6606.jpg IMG-6607.jpg

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Magpul MBUS sights are good flip up sights. Mount the red dot as far forward on the upper as you can without bridging the handguard. For the light as far forward as you can on the right side with the pressure switch mounted on top. You'll need a pressure switch mount. You'll also need a sling mount. I like mine as far back as I can get it in the left side of the handguard with the other end looped through the stock mount. Other than that maybe some kind of forward grip. I like Magpul forward grips. Then lots of mags and ammo.

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    Magpul MBUS sights are good flip up sights. Mount the red dot as far forward on the upper as you can without bridging the handguard. For the light as far forward as you can on the right side with the pressure switch mounted on top. You'll need a pressure switch mount. You'll also need a sling mount. I like mine as far back as I can get it in the left side of the handguard with the other end looped through the stock mount. Other than that maybe some kind of forward grip. I like Magpul forward grips. Then lots of mags and ammo.
    Nice, thanks for the info. What's the reasoning for the light/pressure switch placement?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Nice, thanks for the info. What's the reasoning for the light/pressure switch placement?
    Assuming you are right handed as the rifle is slung against your body the light will be opposite of you. This way it doesn't get in the way of other gear/clothing you may be wearing. Placing it as far forward as possible casts less shadows from the barrel leaving fewer dark spots. The switch being on top allows for it to be ambidextrous if you are shooting off hand.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    +1 to Kawtech on all accounts

Minor comfort upgrades I always suggest

VasKpv3.jpg

This is the section of rail you want to attach the red dot to. Don't put optics on the handguard section of the rail, classic mistake really.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Personally I can't stand the A2 grip and M4 stock. I do a Magpul K2 cause I really like the more vertical grip angle. And I put B5 Systems SOPMOD stocks on my work guns. Much better cheek weld. And at a minimum I do a Geissele G2S trigger. You can get those 3 items much cheaper during major holiday sales. Memorial day is coming up.

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    What about an angled fore grip versus a hand stop? Opinions there? (I haven't tried either, but I doubt I'll be in a position to try them before just picking one to buy)

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    At the very least jp trigger springs. A good trigger transforms the rifle, the problem is there are SO MANY OPTIONS. I like just lighter springs for a duty gun but for a bench gun I'm a big hyperfire fan. Other than the stuff mentioned above, when you think you have enough mags and ammo... Buy more. Neither will ever be cheaper.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    What about an angled fore grip versus a hand stop? Opinions there? (I haven't tried either, but I doubt I'll be in a position to try them before just picking one to buy)
    Personally I'm a no on those. If the barrel is 12 inches or less I like a hand stop tho. Either can be used to brace against, but if you get used to shooting with additional components, you'll want them on every gun you run, less is best IMO

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    If you run across one for ten or fifteen bucks it's worth trying to see if you like it, and you have to start your spare parts box sometime anyways. It's in the AR owners rulebook. And do be advised, you'll probably have at least one more by the end of the year lol

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    If you run across one for ten or fifteen bucks it's worth trying to see if you like it, and you have to start your spare parts box sometime anyways. It's in the AR owners rulebook. And do be advised, you'll probably have at least one more by the end of the year lol
    Uh oh. Thanks for the warning. I'm already excited to start adding to this one, so I don't doubt it...

Indianapail

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 13, 2020
    Brownsburg
    Have had a few and those andro rifles are really nice for the money, I agree that in addition to what you have the magpul ctr, k2 grip or something similar and a cheap "enhanced mil spec" trigger can make it much better feeling for about 100 bucks more. Check lanbos armory for generally the best prices on this type of furniture.

Other than that get the pressure pad mounted up top, optic on the reciever, and the sling attached somehow and you are good to go man!

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    Have had a few and those andro rifles are really nice for the money, I agree that in addition to what you have the magpul ctr, k2 grip or something similar and a cheap "enhanced mil spec" trigger can make it much better feeling for about 100 bucks more. Check lanbos armory for generally the best prices on this type of furniture.

Other than that get the pressure pad mounted up top, optic on the reciever, and the sling attached somehow and you are good to go man!
    Thanks! Going to prioritize the CTR and probably the K2 grip to start. I think I'll like the more vertical angle.

I'm going to link another post of mine here, regarding the pressure switch:

I wonder if anyone here can help identify it, so I can properly mount it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Start with what you have most contact with:

1. The Stock: I like the CTR but I have a Charlie Brown head to weld is no problem.

2. The Charging Handle: it's job is to kill you, yeet it over the berm. Lots of good ones now--Radian, BCM, Gieselle, etc. Ambi is cool I have ambi for malf drills and admin.

3. The Grip: I like Magpul MOE, others are cool too.

4. The Godawful Triggerguard: yeah, it needs to go in a hurry. Magpul is the one I use.

5. The trigger: all guns are nothing but triggers and sights. I like ALG-ACT but Monty makes a good one too (so does BCM PNT trigger).

5. Your rails: I like Manta but I have office veal hands. Magpul Type 1s are usable but can get toasty.

6. Your light: Meh, I prefer port side, no biggie. I save the bottom for bipod or, better yet, keep clear as it will interfere with your use of the weapon around slots and ports.

7. Sights: I use Troy but have started with the Magpul Pros. I just think they're neat.

8. Optic: You have a great one. Big fan of SIG optics, however having been using the PA MD25 recently. Have it on my latest, a Colt FPR.

9. Your sling: Ok, cool. I use $5 carry straps or reversed Cobras like the British 3 Point (Canadian 2 point) or CW Sling from Jeff Cooper.

NOTE: I wouldn't do anything to the BCG unless it breaks. I DO put POF round cams on .308s but not for 5.56, unless something breaks. Not a fan of custom finishes but I do like a chrome BCG if feasible. I like the donut on the extractor and LMT's lobster claw is cool.

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

Pretty much all of this is a good place to start without having to spend a bunch of money... minus the forward grip.

Personally, I'd ditch the tape switch and mount the light all the way forward on the top rail and put a back up iron right behind it. Fewer parts equals fewer problems and then you don't have to mess around trying to find a mount for it. I used to run a TLR1 on the right side, but that was only because I had a fixed front sight. It worked, but I never really liked it.

With the parts you have and adding a front sling mount and backup irons, that would make a pretty slick and simple rifle. I have one set up similar that I realy like...

LightBuild.jpg

Last edited:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    The important thing to remember is, you'll change things constantly and this journey will go on and on. The parts bin doesn't feed itself.

All in all, you have a great starting point. Get out there and run it! Did anyone mention buy ammo? Then more ammo?

Top Bottom