• Pick one

• Total voters

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I need some help deciding between a medium sized lawn tractor or a UTV.

I need something that will be used for:

Snow removal
    Lawn care/mowing pastures
    Pulling a trailer through the fields
    Hauling wood
    General property maintenance
    Gardening

Im sure I'm missing some things, but I believe you have the gist of it. I'm looking to stay around or less than $10,000 so I have been looking at the Kubota Bx series and the Polaris ranger 500.

My thoughts are that I can accomplish all tasks with either one but the Ranger offers the ability to play as we'll and the Kubota offers more versatility as well as the ability to actually mow my lawn.

any input would be greatly appreciated.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    How much property?

If you want to get a all inclusive package, you could pick up an old ford w/ FEL and 3 point hitch, all the implements you would ever need, and still have money left over w/in that budget.

The tractor will be more useful for WORK, but doesn't offer much recreation.
    The Polaris is only going to pull, and maybe push snow, but not as well as the tractor, but it will require less maintenance.

If you are on over 5 acres, then the tractor wins hands down.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Give and take on both, keep researching and you'll figure it out. I have a grizzly 600 that I use on our 20 acres, push snow, haul/spread manure, haul wood , drag the arena. A utv is more maneuverable in tight areas but the tractor will be easier to control/work with... give and take...good luck and let us know what you got.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I personally would take the UTV over the tractor. A tractor would do the work chores better, but I would use the UTV a lot more, I also have about 200 acres of trails to ride on right by my house, so I might be biased a bit.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I have 8 acres. I am really leaning towards the Kubota but I keep going back to the recreation part.

Ive also been going back and forth on getting an older tractor but I'm not so sure I want someone else's issues, I like creating my own! :)

im im fairly confident I'm going to go with the Kubota. In fact, I'm going to go up to the dealers on Saturday.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    nothing wrong w/ buying old... I bought a 1980 ford 340 industrial... turned out to have a 70 something ford 4000 back half... paid 5600 for it, put 1200 into it at the mechanics, replacing the seals on the 3 point, new pressure relief valve, new thermostat, all oils and filters, new valve cover gasket, new front rim and tubes in both front tires, one new front tire, and new hydraulic hoses for the loader... she runs like a champ now minus one small power steering leak that doesn't effect anything, just don't have the time yet. I got 1500 into a backhoe attachment, (I am currently rebuilding all the cylinders one at a time on that's why I got it so cheap) 250 into a 5 foot bush hog, and 100 into a 6 foot grader blade. I can also get a post hole digger, grader box, and wood splitter for the thing and still have less than your current budget into it. its a 50 hp tractor so I can even pull a plow if I wanted to. ONLY two drawbacks are lack of 4 wheel drive, and the weight.... the weight makes it a bit more difficult to transport, and I have to be selective when I take it onto manicured lawn... however the weight helps with the 4 wheel drive problem, esp w/ a rear locking differential by just holding a pedal w/ my foot.

I definatly got someone elses "problem" but I am still thousands and thousands of dollars ahead w/ no payments, and a workhorse that will probably outlast any Kubota that will be built in the next 5-10 years.

I enjoy problem solving, and even though it costs a bit more money annually to replace things, I enjoy having an older American made piece of art.

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Bout five years ago I bought a 'Bobcat' compact tractor, brand new, but 1year old model year for just a little over $10K. Don't know what I ever did without it.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I'm with ya, indygunworks. I believe you and I are much the same, I love to troubleshoot and fix. In fact, is my best quality (according to me).

The problem I have is that I don't necessarily have the tools, nor the time, to fuss with it. I want to but it and start working.

I also need something that kind can mow the lawn with and a big boy tractor just won't cut it.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    With 8 acres get the tractor.

I find doing chores with my tractor is recreation, and relaxation.

Although, it would be nice to have both.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I missed your post Indy..... Either way, I believe I have found a tractor that will do what I want. It's a Massey Ferguson 265 w/ a loader. He has it listed for 9500 and he's gone through and had all the hoses replaced as well as all the filters and water pump. I'm going to look at it tomorrow and if it's squared away, I will likely offer him 8000 and see where it ends up.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    The tractor would be your best bet but if you buy a UTV get the Kubota they are great and Polaris's are junk there cam's wear bad.. My buddy has 2 Polaris's and trust me they are junk... My vote goes to Kubota, you didn't give me any other choice.... 3rd choice "Tractor" w/bucket and bush hog or belly mower...

Last edited:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Look for good used equipment and buy both!

I agree with this.

The tractor would be your best bet but if you buy a UTV get the Kabota they are great and Polaris's are junk there cam'c wear bad.. My buddy has 2 Polaris's and trust me they are junk... My vote goes to Kabota, you didn't give me any other choice.... 3rd choice "Tractor" w/bucket and bush hog or belly mower...

I can't tell you how many Polaris's I've been around in my life counting at least a dozen Rangers and I've never seen one that was junk.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I missed your post Indy..... Either way, I believe I have found a tractor that will do what I want. It's a Massey Ferguson 265 w/ a loader. He has it listed for 9500 and he's gone through and had all the hoses replaced as well as all the filters and water pump. I'm going to look at it tomorrow and if it's squared away, I will likely offer him 8000 and see where it ends up.

Send me a PM with a phone number and I will call and give you a few tips to look for.... there are a few things I wished I would have known about how to check before I bought the tractor I did.... Bare min, do a google search on how to check out the 3 point hitch for proper functioning.... Mine appeared correct, but it wasn't, and as a result I have a VERY bumpy drive that will be a pain in the butt to regrade due to the material I used for the base.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    nothing wrong w/ buying old...

I enjoy problem solving, and even though it costs a bit more money annually to replace things, I enjoy having an older American made piece of art.

I'd also vote for a used, old tractor. But I think you have to be the kind of guy, like you said, that likes to work on and fix stuff, and who appreciates breathing new life into an old well-crafted machine.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    The research and trouble shooting is half the fun of it if you ask me... As long as you have a functional piece of equipment that you can use while learning, I don't see any problem with buying old.... I bought an old lathe that wasn't working once, and that's the last piece of old iron I will ever buy that doesn't work from the get go... I eventually retored it to its former glory but it wasn't fun and by the time I was done I just wanted to offload it and be done. Here are some examples of my latest search... the internet has made buying old iron w/ nothing more than a can do attitude possible.

3 pt hitch questions

TractorByNet.com - Compact Tractor Forum

Ford Bushhog leak fix?

Bought 2 implements, How did I do?

Top Bottom