• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • penguin1915

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    East Central Ind
    Let me start this thread, with the info first. I was at my sons baseball game when one of the dads who just got his CCW permit, ask me what handgun he should buy? 1st off he has 3 kids and is on a tight budget, he did not want a 380. He wanted a small 9mm I suggested a Xds or the shield or a Glock 26. He laughed and said that he had already had 3 small 9mm in mind,I then said why did you ask me? Here is what his 3 choices are, so help me with this so I can give him your thoughts and ideas on all of them, I did tell him he should shoot the ones he is thinking about also. Kel Tech PF 9 PF 11, Taurus mill G2 and the Ruger Lcs 9. So your help will be great so I can pass some ideas on to him. Thanks for your help.:):

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I would have recommended a Shield, XDs or Glock 26. :):

You mentioned a tight budget hence his interest in the LC9s, KelTecs and Tauri. I can not recommend any of these, but that is my opinion and I can't fault anyone else for their decisions. For about $30 more he can buy a Shield. Shield comes with 2 magazines and has several good and affordable holster options. The Shield is a sidarm that will work. I just sold my Shield to a young man whom I am quite found of for protection of his new family. I know very knowledgeable gun guys who buy Shields for their daughters. That should be testament enough.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I would really suggest saving up a bit more for the Glock or Shield as well. Save up a bit longer and get a used G19 and don't look back.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I had a Taurus Mill G2, worst trigger I have ever encountered on a modern handgun. I sold it with full disclosure as soon as I could.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Just for grins I looked around the Internet. Looks like a Taurus G2 can be had for around $250. So of the friends list that would get my vote for a budget handgun. Tauri seem to be hit or miss but they do warranty their product and they usually go bang.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    I have a PT111 G2. The only bad thing I have to say about it is the long travel on the first shot. After watching two people rack the slide and eject a shell on the first shot, I realized that when I let someone shoot it I need to warn them about the trigger. It takes a little to get used to ( I got used to it after sending 200 rounds down range and may have got used to it sooner if I was not shooting my 1911 at the same time). Recently, some people have had trouble with the trigger safety breaking ( In a poll on Taurusarmed.com, 12 out of 112 respondents have claimed their trigger safety has broken) and Taurus has been slow on repairs with the recent recall issues.

All of this being said, I will state that my PT111 G2 is my edc gun. I do not carry it at work, it stays in the console of my car. It fits my hand perfectly, it holds 12 +1, it has yet to fail me ( one person I let fire it had a stove pipe but also had stove pipes with his PT-140 G2 which was solved when I explained to him about limp wristing" , and I doubt I could ever find a better gun for the $200 I paid for it. I know people look down on Taurus but the PT-111 G2 is a great gun for the price.

68NOVA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2016
    nwi
    Let me start this thread, with the info first. I was at my sons baseball game when one of the dads who just got his CCW permit, ask me what handgun he should buy? 1st off he has 3 kids and is on a tight budget, he did not want a 380. He wanted a small 9mm I suggested a Xds or the shield or a Glock 26. He laughed and said that he had already had 3 small 9mm in mind,I then said why did you ask me? Here is what his 3 choices are, so help me with this so I can give him your thoughts and ideas on all of them, I did tell him he should shoot the ones he is thinking about also. Kel Tech PF 9 PF 11, Taurus mill G2 and the Ruger Lcs 9. So your help will be great so I can pass some ideas on to him. Thanks for your help.:):

I probably would have just said that...

Without knowing their level of skill, I wouldn't feel comfortable assisting with their first purchase.

Seen it go wrong many times.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'd go for the Ruger as well, but none of those are something I'd carry.

Really, no one's going to address the elephant in the room? I don't really want to be "that guy", but it's been three days and not one person mentioned it...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'd go for the Ruger as well, but none of those are something I'd carry.

Really, no one's going to address the elephant in the room? I don't really want to be "that guy", but it's been three days and not one person mentioned it...

Hey it's their money. People are always looking for something that is just as good and costs less. It is rare that this ever really works out. Besides if someone were to address the elephant in the room they would be quickly ridiculed as being a gun snob and an elitist.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hey it's their money. People are always looking for something that is just as good and costs less. It is rare that this ever really works out. Besides if someone were to address the elephant in the room they would be quickly ridiculed as being a gun snob and an elitist.
    That's not the elephant I was referring to. Hint: It's concealed.

Top Bottom