• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    A friend of the family just inherited a few guns and I was trying to help him ID them. One is a Webley Mark VI in 45ACP. and the other is this one:
    7132068627_dc072bcbed.jpg

Any help IDing this would be great, as well as any info on price and history is good as well.

Thanks INGO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Definitely a Colt 1878, called the "Frontier." They were made in eight calibers.

It was kind of meant to replace the 1877 "Thunderer" & "Lightning" model double-actions, whose actions were proving to be a bit flimsy.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A friend of the family just inherited a few guns and I was trying to help him ID them. One is a Webley Mark VI in 45ACP.

Thanks INGO

Uh, no, the Webley Mark VI was originally in .455 Webley. Many had the rear of the cylinder faced off to allow .45 ACP to be used with moon clips.

The .455 Webley has significantly lower pressure than the .45 ACP. Most standard .45 ACP loads are very near proof loads for the Webley cartridge. The Webleys are built strong so it may not be a problem, but they will do best with mild handloads and lead bullets. I think the Webley standard load was a 265 grain lead bullet at about 650 fps.

A .45 ACP +P would probably turn it into shrapnell.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Uh, no, the Webley Mark VI was originally in .455 Webley. Many had the rear of the cylinder faced off to allow .45 ACP to be used with moon clips.

The .455 Webley has significantly lower pressure than the .45 ACP. Most standard .45 ACP loads are very near proof loads for the Webley cartridge. The Webleys are built strong so it may not be a problem, but they will do best with mild handloads and lead bullets. I think the Webley standard load was a 265 grain lead bullet at about 650 fps.

A .45 ACP +P would probably turn it into shrapnell.
    True, I am aware of this. My dad had one that he sold to a member on here about 2 years ago.

Top Bottom