• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    Might i suggest you try to attend the April 28 grill and shoot, there you can try out ALOT of different handguns....i have one you mentioned, the S&W SD9.

I think its great, took it out after purchase, using federal ball ammo first clip i was able to keep all 15 rnds in a 3" pattern at 25'.

Its a bit thinner and smaller all around then my G22...easier to CC.

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    let me know where theres a fn for 389. i would keep saving. or someone on the classifieds has a cz 75 p07 duty in your range. i have one and prefer it over what u listed. plus i own half of your list. and my cz is far my favorite

sedition00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    I wouldn't own a $400 9mm 1911 if it was given to me. that sounds like a headache waiting to happen.

It's brand new, the Rock Island Armory 1911 9mm.
    I've read plenty of good things on it, but I do realize the huge price disparity between a good 1911 and that one.

It honestly wasn't too high on the list anyways due to the low round count.:ar15:

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    can't say I know much about sig's. The only one I've held is a 250 and the grip was large and uncomfortable.
    The SP2022's have a similar grip?
    I havent help a 250 but the 2022 comes with 2 grips that slide off and on with a locking tab. i like the bigger one of the two it seems to help place my finger on the trigger better the rest of my fingers wrap around the grip like it was made to put my hand around fit is awesome and i can still reach the slide catch release with my thumb without breaking my grip in anyway. im about 5 9 215lbs.

sedition00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    I'll have to take a look at the SP2022 and see how it feels.

So far thanks to everyone's help here, and through PM's I've cut off 12 of the guns that were on my list. It's narrowed down to just hammer fired now. Minus that Steyr..was watching vids on it's muzzle flip..or should I say complete lack of and was just amazed.

Heading out again tomorrow to try and find some of these to see how they feel in hand, please keep the input coming in if you know about any of these. =)

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I would suggest striker fired. Hammer fired will have a long double action pull. Shoot them both then decide.

cluznar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Narrow Down your List

Stoeger Cougar 9mm is awesome
    Bersa Thunder .380 is a good carry
    Ruger SR9c 9mm is a great gun

I own them all and they are all dependable.:draw:

sedition00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    Knocked a couple more off the list today, The Bersa Thunder and the Ruger SR9.
    Just didn't feel right.

Did kind of like a EAA EZ9 that I got to hold today, perfect trigger reach but grips were just a touch too bulky.
    Finally got to hold a Browning Hi Power as well, that thing has some serious heft to it but feels good.

sedition00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    So, OP what is left on your list?

Of the remaining ones I've only held the PT-92. Haven't been able to find the others in the area yet, may have to take a trip across the river to Louisville to find them.

I did find out today that I am pretty happy with just a decocker as well, external safety still isn't a bad thing in my mind but not required anymore maybe that opens up some more options since I was only looking at safety models before.

Also got taught a bit of proper gun handling as well, once I told the shop guy this was my first handgun he got extremely helpful in showing ways around different problems with controls(safety, magazine release, etc)

These are all the remaining ones left, updated the first post with the others gone now as well.

CZ P-07 $405
    FN FNP(X)-9M $399
    Steyr M9A1 $???
    Taurus PT-92 $350
    Stoeger Cougar $389
    Bersa Thunder Pro $400
    ruger p95 $275-300

maybe a EAA EZ9

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    All of those are good choices. Of those I personally would look at the CZ or FN. Both companies have an excellent reputation. I am particularly impressed with FN-P. The Rugers are tanks. Nice guns but don't make my list only because of bulk.

OP you have done a very nice job selecting guns with good value.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    lose the pointless safety and get a glock 19 (or 26) (technically they have 3, but not the kind you're talking about) and a quick button combo gun safe for next to your bed (to store it when you arent carrying it).

High capacity, low recoil, stupid reliable, cheap, plentiful.

Top Bottom