• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If it is a route that you will frequent on a regular basis, try talking with the owner and see if a solution can be reached. But not all owners are sympathetic. After all you not everyone takes someone in spandex seriously.
    Check. DRIVE to the house in street attire.

he is fair game
    While using the maximum level of force allowable is cool, it's certainly not prudent. There's a lot of ramifications to killing a families beloved pet and guardian.

I took a different route yesterday and was chased by another dog. This time the owner was outside leaning against his pick up just watching it lunge for me. I ended up having to spray my pepper spray in its face. I feel horrible about it. But that dog was much faster than the last one and I really had no time to react any other way. As for the first dog, we went by the house and no one was home so we are going to try this weekend. I've mapped out one other route I can take and am going to try it tonight. Hopefully there won't be any loose dogs that want to kill me. Thank you all for your responses.

Kudos for trying to handle it appropriately. The dog owner mindset that their dog is soooo friendly and soooo lovable that it would never hurt anyone and everyone must love it is irritating to say the least.

Last edited:

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I took a different route yesterday and was chased by another dog. This time the owner was outside leaning against his pick up just watching it lunge for me. I ended up having to spray my pepper spray in its face. I feel horrible about it. But that dog was much faster than the last one and I really had no time to react any other way. As for the first dog, we went by the house and no one was home so we are going to try this weekend. I've mapped out one other route I can take and am going to try it tonight. Hopefully there won't be any loose dogs that want to kill me. Thank you all for your responses.

That dog may not love you, but it'll never forget you. Well done and don't worry, they're no worse for wear afterwards. I've had to do this more than once to keep from shooting someone's pet, it often trains the owners as well.

A million mail carriers can't all be wrong.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I agree^^^^

A civil conversation with the dog's owner would be the best solution for all involved, if that doesn't work, pepper spray him real good one time and he wouldn't approach you again if you were passing out free steaks.

This seems a little bit aggressive to me.
    If the owner doesn't want to chat, I see no reason to hit him with pepper spray.
    Perhaps he had a tough day at work, or just doesn't want to talk.

Now if he cusses you, sure. Hit him with the pepper spray. And his dog too!

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    A number of people speak about the consequences of shooting some family's pet. While I don't relish the idea, I would rather be prepared to do so than to end up as some family's pet next meal.

Dogs are a protective/territorial species. Even domesticated dogs. Some have a sense that their domain is larger than it really is.

There was an incident in Michigan a couple of years ago that involved a jogger and a family's pair of Cane Corsos. One of the neighbors finally took to shooting at the dogs to end the attack. Unfortunately, it was too late for the victim.

Go prepared with both lethal and non-lethal defense.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

So the owner was watching. Pitiful.

Did he see you spray the dog...???

Polished515

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Muncie
    So the owner was watching. Pitiful.

Did he see you spray the dog...???

From what I can tell he definitely seen the dog give chase. I'm not sure if he seen me spray it or not but if the dog went to its owner after being sprayed I'm sure he knew something happened. I got the poor pup right in the snout and the thing yelped. Just in case though I sure as hell booked it out of there pretty fast. My husband asked me not to go that way again in case the owner is pissed at me. I'm hoping he at least sprayed the poor pups eyes out with water.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Been there, done that.

Best solution:

613416_front200.jpg

Requires no aiming, easy to use from a bike, dog will not only slam on the brakes but will REMEMBER you and that noise and will leave you alone in the future.

Get one that fits in a water bottle carrier, and it's easy and quick to access.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Been there, done that.

Best solution:

613416_front200.jpg

Requires no aiming, easy to use from a bike, dog will not only slam on the brakes but will REMEMBER you and that noise and will leave you alone in the future.

Get one that fits in a water bottle carrier, and it's easy and quick to access.

Smart.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rhino's Foolproof Dog Deterrent:

1. Get a recording of a vacuum cleaner for your mobile phone.
    2. When a dog menaces you, play the vacuum cleaner as loudly as your phone allows.
    3. Enjoy as the dog flees in terror.

You're welcome.

hunter_47443

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Greene Co.
    I used to have a neighbor that had a female Doberman.....she would come out of nowhere to chase me on my motorcycle. He called me up one evening and asked if I had just went by on the bike & if I got chased. Told him I sure did!
    He asked if I would ride by again (wasn't too sure about that ) but, I agreed. Got close to his house and here she came at top speed! About the time she got close to the road she made about 3 end over ends & slid to a stop. Shock collars set at maximum work great!!

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    This seems a little bit aggressive to me.
    If the owner doesn't want to chat, I see no reason to hit him with pepper spray.
    Perhaps he had a tough day at work, or just doesn't want to talk.

Now if he cusses you, sure. Hit him with the pepper spray. And his dog too!

I see what ya did there..................:rockwoot:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    As a owner of 4 dogs. I would drive over to the dog owners house and explain the situation to them. Ask them to meet the dog let it smell you and get to know its name so that from that point on your no longer a stranger and he will recognize you the next time your jogging or riding and you can call it by name and tell it to get back in it's yard. The owner will probably appreciate you also telling the dog to get back in the yard because I'm sure they would be upset if it got hit by a car.

Your last sentence is interesting. As a dog-owner, what's your position on the dog owner's responsibility to keep his animal restrained on his property?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Your last sentence is interesting. As a dog-owner, what's your position on the dog owner's responsibility to keep his animal restrained on his property?

Let me chme in here.
    6 houses south of us resides a very large German Shepard. It gets out on occasion and is aggressive/threatening to anyone it see's.
    It scared the hell out of my daughter the other day as she was getting the twins (avatar) out of her van. She lives next door to us and my shop is in the garage behind her house. I heard the dog barking and her screaming. I made it through the privacy gate and ran it off with a can a brake parts cleaner. Not pleasant for the dog. It is lucky as my 1911 was apart on the bench getting some upgrades.

I walked down to the house where it lives and no one home. Dog jumps the fence.

Saturday we were in the driveway and here it came again directly at me. They do not learn from spray's so it seems. It pulled up short, hair up and growling. I was working on my truck so again no side arm but I did have my ZT-301 in hand and was prepared to use it. The dog saw the kids playing in the yard next door and looked to bee-line at them when it was on.....My son came around the truck as I got a lucky rib kick in and he popped it solid with a large thrown wrench. That sent it home.

I left a note on the house and got an irate call from one of the stupidest people about the dog. When the local Gov. Offices open tomorrow...Tuesday I am going with a higher power on this. If the dog shows here again it will not go home.

How do I feel.....Keep you pets at home. They are yours, not mine. Do not let them crap in my yard when you walk them either.

Thats how I feel.

Top Bottom