• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    You might look into these "Grow Boxes " . Here are a couple of pics of ours where we used to live .
    You can plant pretty much whatever you want in them . All you have to do is keep a lower chamber filled with water ( no watering from above ) I still put in wire cages with tomatoes and peppers . You can still move them around if needed and can put away at the end of the season .
    IMG_0821.JPG IMG_0796.JPG

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    With a small size I would focus on what you will eat as it comes in. Tomatoes of course, I almost think that is required for Hoosiers. When I had a compact patio garden with a series of 4'x4' raised beds, I really liked kale or collards, one squash trellised, and the aforementioned tomatoes. I really liked having broccoli which did well. I selectively cut early leaves, harvested the main crown, then they "coppiced" into second growth.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Looking at those counter height raised beds makes me want to build one for some tomato plants.
    Looks interesting, but I'm not sure about tomato. At least not for me, I'm short and would need a ladder. I've had tomato plants get well over 6 ft tall, probably over 8'. But they vined up a shrub that was behind them. 4 ft with some of the cages I use is nothing. Probably work well with the "patio" type though.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    You might look into these "Grow Boxes " . Here are a couple of pics of ours where we used to live .
    You can plant pretty much whatever you want in them . All you have to do is keep a lower chamber filled with water ( no watering from above ) I still put in wire cages with tomatoes and peppers . You can still move them around if needed and can put away at the end of the season .
    View attachment 253560 View attachment 253561
    We use something similar to these on our deck. They don't wave the lower water chamber and they're made to go on our railing.

We do some dwarf cherry tomatoes, Brad's atomic, jalapenos and cayenne in them. They do really good as long as you pay attention to water and fertilizer. I stake the taller tomatoes instead of using cages in the container.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    If your garden is around the 10x20 size..i have for many years bagged my grass and put around plants an then covered rest of garden to eliminate weeds.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    My wife uses large pots and plants 1 tomato, 1 cherry tomato, 1 green pepper and maybe 1 cucumber plant. Being in pots, they're easy to move around and care for. In a smaller garden, I like a few onions, green beans, maybe carrots and radishes.

Top Bottom