• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marcum man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bourbon
    So I have an H & R 44 mag. And I just got a 3x9x50 scope. I will be using this setup for deer. All my shots should come between 10 and 150 yards. Should I zero my scope at 50 yards or 3 inches high at 100 yards? Any help would be great. Thanks.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    So I have an H & R 44 mag. And I just got a 3x9x50 scope. I will be using this setup for deer. All my shots should come between 10 and 150 yards. Should I zero my scope at 50 yards or 3 inches high at 100 yards? Any help would be great. Thanks.

I would zero dead on for 100 yds. That will kind of be middle ground for your shooting. I never see the point in sighting in X inch's high at any range.

Bottom line is the bullet will do what the bullet will do. Sight in somewhere (It really doesn't matter where), and learn your drop at the ranges you intend to shoot. If you plan to hunt out to 150 yds whatever you do, don't let your first shot with this setup at 150 yds be on a animal. Do it first on paper/steel, even if the internet is certain you will have x drop at that range.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    It's my understanding that if you assume 20" barrel and a 240gr bullet and zero at 25 you're aprox a 1/4" low at a hundred, never more than an inch high out to 100 and you'd have 6" of drop at 150. Of course, this depends on the load and rifle.

I've only zeroed my revolver, not a rifle, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    I've looked into this before for a friend, and as I recall, we decided the optimal zero was 125 yds. I'd say you're good to go if your groups are hittig just a bit high at 100. Always practice out to the max range you will attempt to take game.

Top Bottom