• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So I got $50 for christmas as I always do. The wife's grandparents give a $50 gift to each child, grandchild, and great grandchild for Christmas. (And $25 for birthdays. Easier than shipping toys and stuff around the country/world) Typically it was a check made out to the household to cover everyone. ($50 per person) This year was markedly different. Each person in my immediate received a card with a $50 bill in it. From Grandpa, not Grandma and Grandpa as usual. (really, from Grandma, with Grandpa's signature as she passed them by him. We all know how that works. :): )

Here is a little background. This year the grandparents were in their mid 90s. Grandpa has been in poor health for years. We have lived our lives for the past 5+ years anticipating a call that he had passed. Grandma had diabeetus but it was under control. She was still active and seemingly healthy. We had a great visit in August on our way through town as we returned from vacation and she looked great. (we vacation near their town) She passed suddenly in early November. Grandpa was taken to the hospital 2 weeks ago and was told his health problems were getting worse, and he would need heart surgery at the Cleveland Clinic to stabilize him so they could take care of the other stuff. They realized he was worse off than they thought while waiting on a bed at the CC and he passed several days later, pretty much as soon as he was transferred to hospice care.

At Christmas at the inlaws we were given these cards that were mailed as a group by my aunt who lived with them to my MIL to be handed out. Grandpa took over after Grandma passed to continue the tradition. He also sent the "love gifts" (she wrote that in the memo of her checks ) for my sister in law's birthday as well as for my FiL/MiL's anniversary. (they were married on Christmas day while he was home on leave from the air force) He died shortly after sending them. He literally wrapped up the year's gifts before passing and made sure everyone got their gifts this year.

So here is my dilemma. This is a unique $50. It came from the man who I rarely spoke with because he wasnt very social. He was a good man, but very introverted. He became more so after his health declined and he had trouble speaking. He went out of his way to do a special deed and to pick up the slack after his wife of 70+ years passed away. My first reaction was to save it. It has meaning. But I think I can put it to better use.

He was known for being a handy guy. My now retired FiL wrote his first blog post after writing a regular column in the paper for years. It was about the return home to the empty house and the stuff that was missing. He mentioned that he taught his son in law many things handyman related. So that is where I am going with this.

What says INGO? What handyman thing can I buy with that $50? Something useful like a tool that I can cherish and use in my handyman moments. And maybe even pass it on to my kids. Something I can put to good use and carry on his memory.

Even better to give you some direction for a post I was going to put up after this but I just had an "ah-hah!" moment. He was a trustee in his church. When he could still drive, I recall he would drive the mile or so to his church regularly in the evenings to make sure it was secured after the various daily activities. I am now heavily involved in my new church and we are going through a security upgrade. One of the tasks I have is installing locks on a bunch of doors that dont have locks to make our building compatible with the Avoid/Deny/Defend principle. I found using a chisel to cut the rectangle of wood out to install the bolt plate in the door is slow going. Painfully slow. Anyone know of a power tool that will quickly mortise out that rectangle for the bolt plate? I think that would be a fitting tribute to his service to the church... to continue securing MY church.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Tools fir sure. Something really nice in a hand tool. Nothing with a battery. You could pass something like that down to the kids for sure.

Sorry for your family's loss.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    On a related (creepy) note, Grandma passed down a music box mirror to my wife before we were married; its a rectangular mirror that is about 5x7 inches, Decorated and pretty, and sits at a slight angle on the shelf at the same angle as a desktop picture frame. On the surface of the mirror is a removable plastic butterfly with a magnet in the base. it attaches to a another magnet under the mirror. When you wind the music box the magnet under the mirror travels around the perimeter and spins. That causes the butterfly to move around the face of the music box as it plays "You Light Up My Life".

Minutes after I posted this thread, the music box started making noise. Basically starting to play a few notes as the spring finishes unwinding. It has done it twice since I posted. And its been sitting on the shelf quietly all day with nobody touching it.

I'm not a particularly superstitious person, and dont believe in ghost and whatnot, but that thing starting to play shortly after me posting this is creepy as hell. :):

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Done.

yIWnK5c.png

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Camera - Pretty amazing story that he cared enough about the tradition to make sure he carried it on to the end. Sounds like a man of character. I don't have any tool recommendations off the top of my head. But, I think your idea is one heck of a tribute.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    If he was a handy guy, nothing represents that characteristic better than a hammer. For $50 you can get a really nice one, like one with a stacked leather handle, it’s useful, and nice to look at. I worked construction for a good part of my life, and have a pretty good collection of hammers, several of them I’ve had for 30 years or more. Pretty much no maintenance, and it’ll last forever.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I suggest u burn that music box before it's too late. If you don't the evil spirit will grow and bring u bad luck.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If he was a handy guy, nothing represents that characteristic better than a hammer. For $50 you can get a really nice one, like one with a stacked leather handle, it’s useful, and nice to look at. I worked construction for a good part of my life, and have a pretty good collection of hammers, several of them I’ve had for 30 years or more. Pretty much no maintenance, and it’ll last forever.

My thoughts also. You could get his first name laser etched on it somewhere too.

His name wasn't Stanley by chance was it?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom