Help me understand 12GA loads for 3 gun or Steel Competition?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I will be shooting my first "Boom-Stick Challenge" next month and looking to find a load that will be easier to get back on target.
    (And not leave my shoulder area black and blue.)
    Weapon is a Beretta 1301.

The ammo requirements is: "All Birdshot ONLY (#7-9 LEAD ONLY), steel targets. No slugs at this event."
    It does not specify load weight.

I do not reload shotshells (yet) and need to better understand target, field, upland, heavy, etc.
    What are most 3 gunnners using?

Last edited:

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    1 or 1 1/8 oz, 2 3/4 dram or 3 dram load in the specified shot size will cover 95% of anything you'll need for 3 gun. If you get into it regularly you'll probably also want to get a heavier load for the few targets that might be more difficult.

Also make sure that your Beretta runs reliably with whatever you decide on.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Thanks for this info. But it begs a couple more questions as well:

How does shot weight influence recoil management?
    EG: does a 1 1/8oz load recoil harder than a 1 oz load if all other factors are the same?

What about shot size? Is there and advantage to smaller shot or does it depend more on the choke/spread?
    EG: a wider spread could hit two targets if they are close together?

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    I'd probably looking for a trap or field load 1 1/8 Oz load. All my reloads are 1 1/8 of 17-18 grains of red dot, clays or universal.
    Gun is a win 1300 defender

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Thanks for this info. But it begs a couple more questions as well:

How does shot weight influence recoil management?
    EG: does a 1 1/8oz load recoil harder than a 1 oz load if all other factors are the same?

What about shot size? Is there and advantage to smaller shot or does it depend more on the choke/spread?
    EG: a wider spread could hit two targets if they are close together?
    Mass times velocity...higher means more recoil. 1oz is usually lighter, but if it's a 1350 fps load, it could kick harder. Need to do the math.

Shot size doesn't matter much, but do understand what kind of targets you're engaging at what distances. If it's clays in any form, stationary or flying, stick to 7.5/8/9 shot because the targets are only about 4.5 inches. Bigger sizes like 5s or 6s at sufficient distance and open chokes could miss it clean, and also tend to be duck loads which are harder recoiling anyway. If there's any "flipped" clays at short distance, keep the choke pretty open.

Are they knock-down steel? Wear your eye pro because they spit back. Keep loads light, chokes reasonably tight for the distance, and make a semi-deliberate aim at every target almost like a rifle. People think they can shoot open chokes and just pull the trigger as they "cruise" past a target, but if the steel is small and/or heavy, just clipping with the edge of your pattern can fail to knock it down.

Last edited:

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Mass times velocity...higher means more recoil. 1oz is usually lighter, but if it's a 1350 fps load, it could kick harder. Need to do the math.

Shot size doesn't matter much, but do understand what kind of targets you're engaging at what distances. If it's clays in any form, stationary or flying, stick to 7.5/8/9 shot because the targets are only about 4.5 inches. Bigger sizes like 5s or 6s at sufficient distance and open chokes could miss it clean, and also tend to be duck loads which are harder recoiling anyway. If there's any "flipped" clays at short distance, keep the choke pretty open.

Are they knock-down steel? Wear your eye pro because they spit back. Keep loads light, chokes reasonably tight for the distance, and make a semi-deliberate aim at every target almost like a rifle. People think they can shoot open chokes and just pull the trigger as they "cruise" past a target, but if the steel is small and/or heavy, just clipping with the edge of your pattern can fail to knock it down.
    This ^^^ is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you!

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    You'll have enough things to worry about that these questions won't matter until a couple more events are under your belt. See you there!

I shoot whatever's cheapest when I go to replenish.

Practice your reloads, that's the biggest time suck.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I run a 1301 competition
    2 3/4inches
    2 3/4 dram
    1ounce or 1 1/8
    7 1/2 shot

for most things on bays with clay targets and close knock down steel I just use an IC choke, if the know down steel is a little further out or thicker plates I use a Modified choke

The gun already recoils softer than almost any other auto out there.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    You'll have enough things to worry about that these questions won't matter until a couple more events are under your belt. See you there!

I shoot whatever's cheapest when I go to replenish.

Practice your reloads, that's the biggest time suck.
    Yep, I just got several sets of dummy shells and working on doubles now.

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    I will be shooting my first "Boom-Stick Challenge" next month and looking to find a load that will be easier to get back on target.
    (And not leave my shoulder area black and blue.)
    Weapon is a Beretta 1301.
    I shoot AA Winchester super sport 1 1/8 -71/2 -1300FPS -Hardest factory shot - holds the pattern better-less shot flyers -I installed a Falcon Strick recoil pad -Takes up 87.5% peak force recoil -Less jump - quicker second shot -Feels like a 1150 FPS loads.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I shoot AA Winchester super sport 1 1/8 -71/2 -1300FPS -Hardest factory shot - holds the pattern better-less shot flyers -I installed a Falcon Strick recoil pad -Takes up 87.5% peak force recoil -Less jump - quicker second shot -Feels like a 1150 FPS loads.
    Like this?: https://www.falconstrikeusa.com/product/hydraulic-multi-fit-recoil-pad-for-synthetic-stocks/

Rather pricey but looks quite promising.

This is rather interesting wording on their site:
    "The energy conversion dampener (found on aircraft landing gear) further works to reduces recoil energy by converting peak force into heat—that ultimately gets distributed evenly at the point of contact"

Does it get/feel warm under heavy use?

Top Bottom