• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgt Taco

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Indianapolis
    So, help me understand this please. It is against the law to carry in a school or preschool from what I understand. Here is my situation. I work for a church. We have a preschool that meets in our building. It is in a separate place. Does it make the entire building off limits to carrying? Also, what about days the preschool is not meeting? I just want to make sure I do the right thing. Thanks.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Also be aware that my understanding of Federal laws restricts you to 1000 feet from a school if you are carrying in a State that has reciprocity, but is not the state the CCW/LTCH was issued in.

18-922-q-2

School Zone is 1000 ft surrounding a school. Those that are exempt from going into this area, are those licensed in the state that the school is located. i.e. If I head over to Louisville, I need to be aware of this invisible line that makes me a Felon. :rolleyes:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Also be aware that my understanding of Federal laws restricts you to 1000 feet from a school if you are carrying in a State that has reciprocity, but is not the state the CCW/LTCH was issued in.

18-922-q-2

School Zone is 1000 ft surrounding a school. Those that are exempt from going into this area, are those licensed in the state that the school is located. i.e. If I head over to Louisville, I need to be aware of this invisible line that makes me a Felon. :rolleyes:

I wonder... Is that 1000' from all the EDGE of the property...or from the CENTER of the property? Because if one were to somehow figure out how to map 1000' from around the perimeter of a property, there are a TON of small towns that'd have half or better be "no go zones".

Sgt Taco

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Indianapolis
    You can get permission to carry and then you could legally carry.

Who do you need to get permission from?

18-922-q-2

We also have a private Christian high school next door that is not affiliated with our church. I am sure we are within 1000 yards of it. I bet that cancels the ability to carry also.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Mr Taco

You are in the state...so I would say if you have permission from the Pastor or whomever runs the church(and maybe the school)...you'd be OK. Also, your concern about the HS next door. As I said you are in the state...so crossing state lines that IndyJoe pointed out wouldn't be req'd. As always, though. I am not a lawyer(IANAL)

Welcome to the forum.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Who do you need to get permission from?

We also have a private Christian high school next door that is not affiliated with our church. I am sure we are within 1000 yards of it. I bet that cancels the ability to carry also.
    A) Get permission from the School Administrator.
    B) If you are licensed by the State, you fall under an exception from the Federal code.

Sgt Taco

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Mr Taco

You are in the state...so I would say if you have permission from the Pastor or whomever runs the church(and maybe the school)...you'd be OK. Also, your concern about the HS next door. As I said you are in the state...so crossing state lines that IndyJoe pointed out wouldn't be req'd. As always, though. I am not a lawyer(IANAL)

Welcome to the forum.

I see, I misunderstood his comment initially. Thanks!

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    My understanding is that an IN LTCH allows you to carry up to the edge of school property (and in the car on property if you don't get out.) The 1000 ft only comes into play in Fed law if you are in a state that did not issue your permit, but which gives you carry rights.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    In Indiana, is a handgun allowed in your locked vehicle out of sight on school property if you`re attending a school event inside?

Top Bottom