• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisBarnes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Greenfield/Cumberland area
    O.k. as the title states I am new to knife carrying for self defense. I have posted on another thread about being interested in a knife defense class. With this in mind I need your help on a first fixed blade knife to purchase for under $100.00. Any suggestions. I know you all have a favorite and I just want some help steering me in the right direction.

Thanks in Advance...now time to get the popcorn and read the info.:popcorn:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    You'll have to decide on fixed or folder. If you go folder, make sure it has a good lock. A Spyderco P'Kal is just outside of your price range, but I highly recommend it. It uses an Emerson "wave" opener, and was designed by the guys at Shiv Works. You hold it in a reverse grip, and make a very natural hammer fist motion with it . Plus they use great materials (G10 handles, S30V flat ground blade), super strong lock, and made in the USA :patriot:.

ChrisBarnes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    You'll have to decide on fixed or folder. If you go folder, make sure it has a good lock. A Spyderco P'Kal is just outside of your price range, but I highly recommend it. It uses an Emerson "wave" opener, and was designed by the guys at Shiv Works. You hold it in a reverse grip, and make a very natural hammer fist motion with it . Plus they use great materials (G10 handles, S30V flat ground blade), super strong lock, and made in the USA :patriot:.

Scroll up silly you did not read my post just my title. I am looking for a fixed..lol

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I was recently in your shoes. I couldn't find the knife I wanted in anything close to my price range, so I decided to make my own. I'm not suggesting you do that but it is an option. Through the process of making a knife I realized that I first needed to know how I was going to use the knife (grip, philosophy of use), and how I was going to carry the knife before I could really settle on the knife design that was compatible with those choices.

Through out the process of making a knife I looked deeper into the carry/use of a defensive knife. I started out trying to make something similar to a spyderco street beat and ended up scraping that project when I realized with a little more information that what I wanted was really closer to a shivworks clinch pick. The other project was not a waste because it taught me a lot about the process of making a knife. The problem was I picked the knife before having a good idea what I was going to do with it. I hope relating my missteps will help make your search more productive.

P.S. Also consider if there is a training version available.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    But, if you went to Knife Lady for a Benchmade 375, it would meet your budget requirements. :D

Yep. Just went there to find a pic and link with specs. You and Knife Lady are hard to beat price wise. Even from bladeHQ. I figured it was a given since someone already said to contact you guys. Lol

ChrisBarnes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    I will also be giving the Knife Lady a call when and if my Jack Daniels collectables sell on E-bay. The wife said no new toys in the house unless I raise the money. So I am selling some of my double bottles that I have ... We will see...I also hope to raise enough to get a new 22 rifle and some accessories for it...lol

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    This is what I carry and I love it:
    e86a68bb7bf99180e0f5c2b8e492524f.jpg

TALON A

If you see them at the 1500, you can get them cheaper too.

ChrisBarnes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Yeah me sold some of my Jack Daniel's collection on E-bay and can afford the Bench Made 375 knife. PM sent to you Knife Lady. Yeah me...my first carry knife. Now I just need this knife training class to know how to properly use it and defend myself it.:rockwoot:

piper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Benchmade Nimravus. I have seen a few gently used ones on craigslist for $100 or under the past few weeks.

Top Bottom