• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EOC

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    The Garage
    Im setting up my reloading area in my garage and im trying to figure out if I need to do anything to it for temp control and moiture control etc... It an attached 1 and half car garage with no heat or ac... So very cold in winter and hot in summer.. DO I need to do anything for temp control or moisture or will it be fine for my powders and primers etc.... I keep primers in a plastic container with lid and my powders in there normal jugs?

Any help would be great Thanks

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    I also reload in the garage and has no heat or ac. I keep all my powder and primers in a old refrigerator to help keep the temp stay a little more stable. As long as your powder is keep as cool as it can ie not in the sun you should be fine.

edit. The refer is inop

EOC

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    The Garage
    yea its not in the sun or anything but just on a shelf.. I may just start keeping it inside the house maybe and not even worry about it but I dont really have the room inside is my problem..

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I reload in the garage also. Primers are not sensitive to humidity but heat is a killer, powder included. 105+ Fahrenheit or so. Have stored my powder out there for years as long as the container is closed well it acts as it's own desiccant.

DoctorThunder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    My bench is in my garage as well. Keep all of my primers in an ammo can with desiccant and powder in a separate cabinet with desiccant. I also coated the exposed metal on my Lee turret press with a little CLP to keep surface rust to a minimum. Haven't had a problem with this setup yet, but would prefer if it were all inside in a climate controlled environment.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Not sure how much powder/primer you have, but you could always just pack those two items into ammo cans and bring them inside when you are done. The rest of the equipment you really don't have to worry about.

RSW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Bring your dies in the house when done. You don't want surface rust on them.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    How can you put out a quality product if you are not in a comfortable environment? The ammo components really dont care, but you will.

I tried reloading in my unheated garage. Once.

Last edited:

mohrpork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2010
    I also keep mine in a old refrigerator. I acquired a small college one that is perfect for the primers and powder.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How can you put out a quality product if you are not in a comfortable environment? The ammo components really dont care, but you will.

Exactly....condition the space.
    My self standing shop has heat and A/C. I have to much nice equipment/tools/chemicals to let rust/go bad. Step up. Do it right.

EOC

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    The Garage

I have a heater I run that heats garage in cold but I dont leave it running when not out there.. and heat doesnt bother me... i stay in garage during summer and work on guns build furniture etc with no ac doesnt matter to me..

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hey man....your world. I keep my tools and equipment at 50* minimum in winter and run it at 64* when I am in the shop. My gear is to valuable.
    I only run the A/C when temp/humidity gets to be unbearable. Have a pedestal fan for the rest of the time.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Hey man....your world. I keep my tools and equipment at 50* minimum in winter and run it at 64* when I am in the shop. My gear is to valuable.
    I only run the A/C when temp/humidity gets to be unbearable. Have a pedestal fan for the rest of the time.

This is pretty much exactly what I do. That constant up and down temperature, especially this time of year, leaves condensation on tools, etc. It's expensive, but 50 degrees in winter and 75-80 in the summer are my minimum and maximum.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is pretty much exactly what I do. That constant up and down temperature, especially this time of year, leaves condensation on tools, etc. It's expensive, but 50 degrees in winter and 75-80 in the summer are my minimum and maximum.

We put the work into insulation and a proper furnace. It is not that bad to keep the gear safe and warm. Glues/chemicals/solvents etc do not like freezing temps.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    You must have more insualtion than me. I cant do 64...id freeze my arse off! :laugh:

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    You must have more insualtion than me. I cant do 64...id freeze my arse off! :laugh:

Ditto. I lived with my parents for 3 months while my house was being built. My mom is hot natured and keeps the A/C set around 67, I would get weird looks when I answered the door in jeans and a sweatshirt and it was low 90s outside. I now understand why their Duke energy bill runs around $260/month in the summer.

Top Bottom