• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    thats awesome! THANKS ! I will probably keep it if thats the case. Maybe Ill take it to have it looked at somewhere else. the first book appraisel was at pop guns. they are the ones that said not an original barrel. Is there anyone around Indy that does 1911 appraiels? Maybe getting this insured would be a good idea.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    My personal gun rule #3: DO NOT SELL THAT WHICH HAS BEEN PASSED DOWN TO YOU.

I'm all in with indyjohn555. I have a couple of S&W revolvers, a Stevens SxS 12 guage & a Winchester model 63 .22 pump that were my Dad's and they will end up being passed to my son. That is a great looking old 1911:yesway: and I am very envious of you right now ;).
    The older guns are the best, you can keep your glocks.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Ill keep my glocks too! My wife and I dont plan on kids but my brother is in the works. guess Ill get some insurance on it and shoot it occasionally to keep the juices flowing. anyone have any ammo recommendations to use in it?

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Like has already been said.
    Most of the military 1911's were rebuilt in an armory at one time or another.
    HOWEVER,
    Every armory had it's own markings and if the markings are all correct and match each other and the time period, the value increases.
    Check out this page for more information.
    Frame and Slide Markings
    Every tiny little mark and initial means something, even the little dots on the barrel for the proof test.
    It's obviously still not as valuable as a non rebuilt, but the market for the "original rebuilds" is getting stronger every day.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Its certainly a keeper. As for restoration, that is up to you. If you do not intend to sell it, then personal worth should take priority. I have a friend who owns a pair that were handed down from his grandpa, one of witch is a colt, with springfield armory stampings on it. His idea of keeping his grandpas memory was to have them re-parkerized, and carry them on a semi-regular basis.
    Others might think a full restoration and a sealed presentation box would be more in order.
    Either way, you have a true piece of american history that is yours to enjoy.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    You can't tell me this wouldn't look good mounted on the wall just the way it is:

Case1911.jpg

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Like has already been said.
    Most of the military 1911's were rebuilt in an armory at one time or another.
    HOWEVER,
    Every armory had it's own markings and if the markings are all correct and match each other and the time period, the value increases.
    Check out this page for more information.
    Frame and Slide Markings
    Every tiny little mark and initial means something, even the little dots on the barrel for the proof test.
    It's obviously still not as valuable as a non rebuilt, but the market for the "original rebuilds" is getting stronger every day.

+1.

I read that almost every Garand produced was touched by an armorer at least one time in its life. And many of those things go for crazy money these days. That would be why I don't have one right now...

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Thanks guys. That is a pretty nice piece of work Bummer. I will have to look into a restoration. not a full on but just to clean things up a bit. I shot it a couple years ago and still works like a champ. I will keep it and shoot it for special occasions.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Thanks guys. That is a pretty nice piece of work Bummer. I will have to look into a restoration. not a full on but just to clean things up a bit. I shot it a couple years ago and still works like a champ. I will keep it and shoot it for special occasions.

my :twocents:.....i would leave it alone.... collectors don't like them refinished...patina and age it what they want...

Top Bottom