• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Basically, since I picked up a completed AR, I've been wanting to add just a bit to it.

First thing's first, the rifle:

demeter.jpg

Better color picture from the previous owner:

3908970646_83ab46114a.jpg

Secondly, some comparison (not hotlinking! :) ):

https://www.entrygear.com/productimages/Magpul PMag window all.jpg

Is my AR decked out with the Foliage Green colored furniture or OD? I'm thinking Foliage but I don't want to goof up.

Thirdly, the rifle has the A2 front sight and a flat-top in the rear. I want to get a flip-up rear sight at some point. This will work in conjunction with the A2 front sight, correct? If I want to pick up a system like the Magpul BUIS for the front and rear, I'd have to replace the snazzy handguards with a flat-top like the upper has (say it ain't so! :( ).

TIA!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Is my AR decked out with the Foliage Green colored furniture or OD? I'm thinking Foliage but I don't want to goof up.

Looks like Foliage Green to me. But then, most of my guns are black. ;)

I want to get a flip-up rear sight at some point. This will work in conjunction with the A2 front sight, correct?

Yes.

If I want to pick up a system like the Magpul BUIS for the front and rear, I'd have to replace the snazzy handguards with a flat-top like the upper has

No, you would need to replace the gas block/front sight assembly with a railed gas block.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Looks like Foliage Green to me. But then, most of my guns are black. ;)
    I figured that I would get that. :) Thanks for the second set of eyes. Dust covers and the suave curvy MOE triggerguard ordered in foliage green!

Thank you.

No, you would need to replace the gas block/front sight assembly with a railed gas block.
    Partly with the previous answer too...if I get a railed block then I could get the flip-up sights and be done with it.

So I would need something like this: Railed Gas Block with Bayonet Lug

That would not require me to remove those handguards, correct?

I'd like to add a light at some point and that would not facilitate such a thing...but I think the quad rails are silly looking. Are there tri-rails with sling attachment and bayonet lug on the bottom? I'm not seeing anything like that. Or can I get a sling attachment and bayonet lug that will fit on the rails?

Pardon my noobness...

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Partly with the previous answer too...if I get a railed block then I could get the flip-up sights and be done with it.

Yes, or you could get a flip-up rear, leave the fixed front sight in place, and be done with it. On a fighting carbine with a non-magnifying optic, this is the way to go, IMO.

That would not require me to remove those handguards, correct?

You'd probably want to take them off in order to pull the gas tube and front sight base off and install the railed gas block. ;) But no, you wouldn't have to change to a different handguard system.

I'd like to add a light at some point and that would not facilitate such a thing...but I think the quad rails are silly looking.

Are you aware that your Magpul handguards are built to accept detachable rail sections for just such a purpose?
    Hand Guard Rail Section [FAL002] - $7.70 : ++ Magpul Industries ++

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Yes, or you could get a flip-up rear, leave the fixed front sight in place, and be done with it. On a fighting carbine with a non-magnifying optic, this is the way to go, IMO.
    Excellent. I could still add optics at some point in the future too. :)

I have some co-witnessing questions that I will ask when I get to that point in the coming months. Be prepared! :D

You'd probably want to take them off in order to pull the gas tube and front sight base off and install the railed gas block. ;) But no, you wouldn't have to change to a different handguard system.
    That's what I meant. :) Knew I'd have to take them off to swap blocks at the very least. That's not really hard.

Are you aware that your Magpul handguards are built to accept detachable rail sections for just such a purpose?
    Hand Guard Rail Section [FAL002] - $7.70 : ++ Magpul Industries ++
    You know, I did run across those at one point and completely forgot about them.

You rock! :rockwoot:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Because the sights themselves are polymer and the barrel will melt them if attached to a railed gas block?

Yeah, it's a heat issue; the gas block gets really hot under rapid fire, and could compromise the polymer of the sight. The MBUS front sight design sucks, anyway. Go with an MI, Troy, PRI or other quality metal sight and you'll be fine.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Yeah, it's a heat issue; the gas block gets really hot under rapid fire, and could compromise the polymer of the sight. The MBUS front sight design sucks, anyway. Go with an MI, Troy, PRI or other quality metal sight and you'll be fine.
    Gotcha.

Rear sight being polymer is fine?

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana

Thirdly, the rifle has the A2 front sight and a flat-top in the rear. I want to get a flip-up rear sight at some point. This will work in conjunction with the A2 front sight, correct? If I want to pick up a system like the Magpul BUIS for the front and rear, I'd have to replace the snazzy handguards with a flat-top like the upper has (say it ain't so! :( ).

TIA!

Yes it is Foliage Green.
    I'd keep the standard A2 front sight base and just get a rear BUIS.

:twocents:

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Yes it is Foliage Green.
    I'd keep the standard A2 front sight base and just get a rear BUIS.

:twocents:

+1. The front sight works with the red dot. With the 4x acog optics such as the ACOG TA31s and such, it doesn't show up in the sight picture. With lower magnification optics, it may get in the way, same goes for higher magnification optics. For most AR users, a fixed front sight does just fine.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Got the dust covers and triggerguard in Friday. If I had known they were going to be in I would have ordered the Magpul BUIS flip-up rear sight (in foliage green, of course) too! :xmad: Went shooting Saturday and just put 20 rounds through it. Just tossed on my buddies rear sight just to have something to look through. I'm not even sure that I was hitting paper at 15 yards.

Anyway, had an issue trying to tap out the rear triggerguard pin though...it is 1/8", right? Do I need to have support so that I don't break the ears off when trying to tap that pin out? And which direction should I tap it out? Safety selector switch side or ejection side?

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    And which direction should I tap it out? Safety selector switch side or ejection side?

Still need some advice on this. Tried to get it out last night and it won't budge, and it goofed up the roll pin a little bit, so I got a tiny dremel bit out and just tried to hammer it a bit, so it rolled up the lip a bit. :xmad:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Do I need to have support so that I don't break the ears off when trying to tap that pin out?

Always a good idea. I use a pair of Brownells bench blocks (one to support the receiver, one to support the stock); they have holes drilled in them to capture the pin once it comes out. The poor man's trick is to use a big roll of duct tape as a support; basically accomplishes the same thing.

And which direction should I tap it out? Safety selector switch side or ejection side?

Shouldn't matter.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Always a good idea. I use a pair of Brownells bench blocks (one to support the receiver, one to support the stock); they have holes drilled in them to capture the pin once it comes out. The poor man's trick is to use a big roll of duct tape as a support; basically accomplishes the same thing.

Shouldn't matter.
    Gotcha. What do I do if the friggin thing won't punch out? Drill bit (CAREFULLY!)?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    What do I do if the friggin thing won't punch out?

It will punch out. Use a roll pin punch (the kind with the little nipple on the end) of the proper size, squirt some Kroil or other penetrating oil around the pin and leave it sit a minute before you begin, and give the punch a couple hard hits to get the pin started.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    It will punch out. Use a roll pin punch (the kind with the little nipple on the end) of the proper size, squirt some Kroil or other penetrating oil around the pin and leave it sit a minute before you begin, and give the punch a couple hard hits to get the pin started.
    Didn't even think to use something to break it up a bit. Pb Blaster won't goof up the lower will it?

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Bought a good 1/8" carbon tool steel punch for $4 at Rural King and knocked that sucker out earlier. Tapped in the new roll pin with the triggerguard and it is sweet looking...but I don't have a 1/16" allen key to get the other side's set screw on. Oh well! Tomorrow. :)

Top Bottom