Help with Over and Under Shotgun please.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So I have decided to get into clays a little more, nothing crazy but just going out with a buddy and shooting maybe once or so a month. I have a Tactical Benelli M2 with with an 18 inch barrel does me no good. Also have an 870 express with a 28 in which is what I use but I really don't like pumps and would like an over/under. I was looking at the Weatherby Orion with comes in around $900 but the Benelli 828U looks sexy as hell, coming in around 3k though. I do not like the fact the 828U has an automatic safety every time the gun is loaded it clicks on. I would like to find something that looks nice around 26 inch and would love to stay in the 2k range. NO GOLD TRIGGERS ( hate them)

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Or should I just say F it and buy a Super Black Eagle? I had one a dozen years ago and loved it. At the cost savings I could really get both the Orion and the SBE and just be a bit over budget .

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've never shot an over/under that doesn't have a safety which comes on when you load it. Not saying they aren't out there just in my experience most do.

I've not shot an 828U but I am a HUGE Benelli fan and would buy a Benelli auto over about any shotgun, I can go on about their greatness for way too long honestly. However when it comes to an over and under I have no idea about it.

I've decided I'm a much bigger fan of autos but when I'm shooting clays it's just to be a better shooter for hunting purposes, the only over and under I have is a Red Label that was gifted to me that I love for many reasons beyond it just being a nice gun.

Howevet I think you should check out Browning and Beretta. Outside of maybe some Holland and Holland or a Perazzi shotguns I would say a pair of Beretta over and unders are the nicest shooting O/U I've shot and the brownings are no slouches.
    I'd ask around with some of the local clay shooters, I'm not too privy to what guys use to be competitive but you should be able to get a Beretta or Browning for around the 2kish mark that'd be a sweet gun. However, I know and have seen a dude with a Benelli M2 20gage beat the mess out of a bunch of good shooters with $6k guns... When it comes down to it just get something you like!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Ahh just saw your second post... I have a SBE2 and it's my go to gun. I'll shoot it for anything that requires a shot gun and I've taken it to hell and back! I am not saying there are maybe some nicer guns out there especially for clays but man does that thing just flat out run!

I am lusting after a Benelli Ethos in 20gage right now!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    my $400 Stoeger 26" field grade O/U can be converted to no auto safety with a ten cent roll pin. (and a dremel).

YMMV. Check out the intarwebz to see if the shotgun in your price range can be modified too.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Just stumbled on the benelli ethos too. Looks good, from what I can see it's similar to the black eagle but fancy

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    You should be able to find a Browning Citrori clays gun for $2K or less, but the barrel length will probably be more than 26" - my XT Trap comes in 30" and 32" barrel versions. Not sure about all Citori's, but mine does not reset the safety when loaded. I've got easily 10,000 rounds through mine and it's been rock solid.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Never liked automatic safeties, always have been a PITA for me.

2k and under I'd look at a new or used Beretta 686, older SKB, Weatherby Athena (SKB), or even a new SKB. Don't recall if any of them have automatic safeties though

The 828 though does shoulder great, love the way they tapered the rear of the receiver

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    There's a safety disconnect that you remove if you do not wish for the safety to be activated when you break it open. I believe, according to the latest American Rifleman, in the 828 it's a spring. I read the article, but, to be honest I'm to darn lazy to go look it up.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I bought a Spartan (Baikal) at cost when somebody cancelled an order (wanted a cheap bunny blaster).
    Auto safety was a strut which I removed. Cleaned up the trigger spring pockets to remove annoying sounds as well.
    And redid the stock (too high a comb, had "extra" wood so when brought to 1100/870 outside dims was usable.
    Still a little high, needed bent.
    Fit somebody else better and they loved it......so away it went.

Had a Citori magnum yrs ago, nice gun. Just hit high for me (so away it went). Don't remember what safety it had.

Nowadays, I wouldn't buy an OU that had an auto safety that couldn't be modified. Only real OU interested in would be a Redlabel 20 w 28" bbls and choketubes.
    And then only a "maybe".

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    There's a lot older guns come without the auto-safeties. If you decide to look at the older Brownings, look up the years they made the saltwood guns, thinking it was the mid 60's. But talk about a quality gun otherwise. Not really up the over/under shotguns but do know the Browning Superposed stock is different and hits my cheek bone once in awhile. Been told the stock length is shorter and that is why it hits me.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My CZ didn't have an auto safety.

I liked it but I bought it when I thought I would shoot Skeet but then favored Trap and it wasn't a good shotgun for Skeet.

If the OP is talking about Sporting Clays when he says "clays" I am no help. I wouldn't know what would be good for that sport.

I sdo like the Browning Citori's though. They shoulder a little better than the Beretta for me. It really should come down to how it fits you and how much you are going to shoot.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Yeah just good old fashion clays. I went shooting today at my brother n laws and used my old 870 Express with a 28 inch barrel and did pretty good. I tried one of his O/U and could not hit the side of a barn. Really has me questioning the whole o/u thing. Right now I am considering the 828U, Weatherby Orion, and the Ethos. So far I think I am leaning with the Ethos, orion, 828U, in that order. I guess I will need to hold them to get a feel and see what I like. I do like the Beretta and have not ruled that out either. Just too many freaking choices of shotguns out there. lol

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    I've never been a fan of the "auto-safety" O/U's for gaming. If you're strictly shooting any of the main 3 clay pigeon games with the gun, a safety of any kind is unneeded and will never be used. If you're hunting with one, I can see where it could make things a bit safer.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Had a chance to stop of at Blythes in Griffith today and handle a few shotguns. 828U is 100% out, just didn't seem worth that kind of money. I liked the SBE and the Ethos, Ethos shouldered well and felt the best. Thanks for all of those who helped with this tread.

Top Bottom