• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kbundy5635

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    I am trying to start a reloading area, I am overwhelmed with everything I have to get I am starting out reloading .40 and .45ACP I understand the process but get confused on what powder to buy, anyone know any places that specialize in reloading? When I got to the large stores it seems like no employees in the gun section really know what they are talking about when it comes to reloading.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    First off, welcome to a new hobby.

Secondly, you might want to start reading here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...reload_but_you_don_t_know_where_to_begin.html

After you read the above thread, you will want to get several reloading manuals and start reading, then read them again. Lyman's 49th is a good one.

I would also recommend taking a class with Andrew at Profire Arms & Supply. I have taken his class, and it was great. Profire Arms & Supply, Inc. - INGunOwners

And, lastly, have fun and be SAFE!!!

Kbundy5635

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Thanks for the info I have that manual and I find I have learned a lot but don't feel like. Could start making ammo yet

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    +++100 To Andrew/ProFire Arms&Supply..

Welcome to INGO..

I can 2nd. the suggestions to go with Andrew. He's a straight up guy that makes his living on reloaded ammo, but is down to earth enough to answer any questions that you may have.

If you do live in the Indy area, or can make the arrangements, DO get into one of his reloading classes--You'll be GLAD that you did....Bill.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Something else to consider is space and budget. You can start out with basic equipment and gradualy upgrade as you progress. Find what does and does not work for you.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Don't break the bank to start

When I started loading everything fit into a 20mm ammo can. I set it up so I could bolt the Lee press to the top and loaded many rounds with this rig. My "tools" have expanded over the years. You do not have to take out a second mortgage to get started and start saving money. Read, ask questions and find someone with experience to help you get started.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Reloading supplies don't have a very high mark-up so most gun shops don't carry a whole lot. Typically, gun shop employees and shop owners know very little about reloading, but there are exceptions. My advice for loading target type ammo is to get a pound of Alliant Bullseye powder. I would use a round nose or similar designed bullet to start. Lead cast bullets are the least expensive. Start off loading for the round that you shoot most often. Load the lightest recommended charge. Seat them to the book recommended overall length and make sure that they are short enough to feed in your magazine. To save yourself a lot of headaches, buy a separate taper crimp die. Seat the bullet without applying crimp. Lightly crimp the bullets so that they won't back into the case when you push the bullet end of a loaded round into a bench. The crimp operation should be the last operation you do. Just load a few and take them to the range and see how they function in your pistol. If your slide doesn't operate through it's entire range and you get a jam, it is likely that your powder charge is too light. Bump it up 2 tenths of a grain at a time, making sure not to exceed the maximum recommended charge, until the gun functions reliably. Read your instructions as you go. It really seems overwhelming at the beginning, but if you go slow you will be just fine. Your goal at first, should be to just make one very good round of each caliber. Once you have achieved that, make sure that your dies are locked firmly into place and that your powder measure is throwing accurate charges and set. You then can duplicate that one good round you made over and over again.

If you post where you live, you might find an INGO member who would be willing to help you at your place with your equipment. I will, if you live in the Louisville area.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I am trying to start a reloading area, I am overwhelmed with everything I have to get I am starting out reloading .40 and .45ACP I understand the process but get confused on what powder to buy, anyone know any places that specialize in reloading? When I got to the large stores it seems like no employees in the gun section really know what they are talking about when it comes to reloading.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Kbundy5635 where are you located.

If near the Indy area the best advise as others have stated is go the the beginner's reloading class that Profire Arms & Supply does. The owner is a INGO member that goes by the name of Aszerigan.

If in NWI send me a PM and I can give you some points of contact up here on people who can help you out.

There are many things to consider on this topic.
    - How much space do you have
    - How much time can you devote to reloading
    - Are you interested in reloading for plinking, competition, or experimental loads
    - What is your budget. You can start reloading on $100 (equipment) and go all the way up to several thousand. :D
    - Will you only be doing .45 and .40 in the foreable furture
    - No rifle loads?

-Jedi

Top Bottom