• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Wow, $429 for a yugo sks. Clearly I've been away too long. When I picked up my Chinese sks a few years ago, I bought it as a private sale as it was much cheaper than buying from a dealer. Looks like the supply is drying up :(

Iirc the yugos are decent guns but lack a chrome lined barrel.

someone will be along shortly with real info.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Used SKS rifles seem to be going for $350-$400 whether Yugo or Chinese. The Romanian, Albanian and Russian models command a greater premium. Yes, they used to be a hundred bucks but WASR AKs were $350 once but now cost more than an entry AR. If the condition is as stated in the ad, I would say it's a fair price. You might get one for up to $50 cheaper if you hunt around armslist or elsewhere but Classic is good to deal with.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    for that much you could almost pick up a decent russian.

on that note, I passed up (multiple times) a yugo SKS at the last 1500 for $150. It needed a safety lever installed because the guy broke it off but otherwise appeared to work fine. I should have grabbed it.

yugos are good rifles though, built like tanks.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I just looked on armslist. In Indiana there are 2 or 3 Yugo and Chinese with asking prices below $400 but the vast majority are above. SKS prices are driven oddly by supply. They are imported in bursts and each time a shipment comes in, they are substantially higher than before. In 2011 Cabelas had Yugo SKSs for $189.99. Now Classic has them for $429.99. Classic Arms has always had good prices IMHO so to me that is a good bell weather.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had a Yugo for awhile and had no complaints at all. I put a rear Tech Sight on it and it was very accurate. True they don't have chrome lined barrels, but unless you're shooting corrosive ammo (and not cleaning afterward) that's really not an issue. They definitely have gone up in price since I had mine. Definitely built like a tank! I will also second that Classic is good to deal with.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I always wanted one of the earlier Yugos without the grenade crap. For shooting I like the Chinese models; they just feel better to me, more balanced.

There is an auction at the end of the month in Evansville which has a mess of SKS rifles as well as several AKs in 5.45x39 and 5.56x45.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    The ones for sale on classic right now are the M59/66A1 versions. These barrels are chrome lined and come with flip up sights for use in low light conditions (not night sights). I had one and got rid of it,still wish I had it. If you ever flip up the grenade sight and push it back down you may have trouble with the action cycling. If that does happen make sure the release button for the grenade sight is in the correct position. When you are cleaning out the cosmoline take the bolt apart and clean the area where the firing pin is located. I would say that their current asking prices are fair

MPD742

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2014
    Grant County
    I love my Yugo! I purchased it on clearance at Cabela's in Dundee MI for $200. It has done nothing but soar upwards in price. The key is thoroughly cleaning the cosmoline. I think the going rate for used is about $400.

armyvet209

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    LAKE COUNTY
    I think I paid right around 150 for my Russian sks well over a decade ago. I was actually thinking of getting rid of it but I guess I'll hold on to it for awhile, didn't realize the price had gone up so much

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I think I paid right around 150 for my Russian sks well over a decade ago. I was actually thinking of getting rid of it but I guess I'll hold on to it for awhile, didn't realize the price had gone up so much

They actually haven't. I'll give you $175 to cover your gas.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    crickets.gif

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I've only owned Russian and Chinese SKS's, I think I would hold out for one of those on the used market. I think you may be able to get one for less than the one you linked.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I've only owned Russian and Chinese SKS's, I think I would hold out for one of those on the used market. I think you may be able to get one for less than the one you linked.

Good luck with that. The change in hunting laws just escalated the price of anything shooting 7.62x39mm. I expect the used market on .357 and .44 levers to also go down.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Good luck with that. The change in hunting laws just escalated the price of anything shooting 7.62x39mm. I expect the used market on .357 and .44 levers to also go down.

I'm not a hunter, forgot about the new law, you do bring up a very good point. I do love .44's, maybe that 1894 P I've wanted will come on the market at a decent price.

Top Bottom