Help with stuck AK muzzle detent plunger.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Howdy INGO,
    I picked up a second hand AK. A century arms, AKMS underfolder, supposedly built on a Polish parts kit. The only thing Polish I can identify is the lower handguard wood swell grip. Its in great condition with one notable issue...The muzzle detent plunger is stuck pressed in. The owner gave it to me like that. He has no idea when it happened so I dont know if it just rusted, or if the spring is broke, or if there is even a spring in there from the goofballs at Century who knows?:dunno:

So I've tried to unstick it with copious amounts of WD-40. Its been sitting for a few days now. Then I've tried tapping on the barrel/front sight post with wood to try and use the vibrations to rattle it free. I also tried taking a small pick at the plunger to wiggle it out or push it to the side but there is no play.

I really dont want to have to take the front sight post off since that exceeds my mechanical competency and I dont want to mess anything up.

Any good idears? heres some pics.

v7y3gx.jpg

2cmq8v4.jpg

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Instead of WD I'd try either Kroil or something like PB blaster, more of a penetrating oil as opposed to a water displacement oil (WD)

indykid

Grandmaster
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    In case you don't know, the front cross pin holds the detent pin in place.

Seeing what looks like rust on the front cross pin, I suggest not only getting the correct punch but invest in a punch holder or visegrips.

I have removed many stuck cross pins and believe me having a punch holder allows you to get a better hit with a hammer or mallet than if you hold the punch with your hand. It also saves your fingers or hand if you miss the punch but are holding it with a tool other than your hand.

Another thing, if you try to knock the cross pin out on a work bench, even a strong work bench might absorb some of the impact from the hammer, so I always knock the pins out by laying the front of the rifle on a piece of 2x4 on a concrete floor. I have a pocket drilled into the wood to allow the pin to fall into and be retained.

After you get the cross pin out, you can spray some penetration oil in that hole to help try to unstick the detent pin.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ive seen a couple of them put in backwards where they won't stick out at all. Pop the front pin out, and see if you can flip it around.

bullet293

Marksman
    Feb 22, 2009
    OMOKOK
    punch out cross pin, center punch the detente, drill with small drill bit, use small easy out to break free. pop out detente and spring, emery cloth hole, oil, reassemble.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Thanks for the good advice everyone! I'll go pick up some penetrating oil and try that out let it sit for a day. Then post back here if it worked itself free or if the spring needs replacing.

If I need to drift out the front sight post pin, does it matter which direction I tap it out? I assume left or right is fine.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Straight pins only go one way. Bi pins go both ways.

Try the veal, tip your waitresses.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Maybe put some heat to it to expand the front sight around the detent, then see if you can pick or vibrate it loose then use WD40 once you have some cracks in the suspect rust holding it in?

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    2zecw42.jpg

I hit it up with some of this Liquid wrench penetrating oil and smacked the muzzle around with a wooden handle. Now I wait a day and I'll try to drift out the front sight pin.

Last edited:

03A3

Expert
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Sometimes those will budge if you hold the gun muzzle down on a heavy wooden bench and and hit the rear/bottom of the front sight base with a deadblow hammer or good mallet. You have to really whack it.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    jpbkoy.jpg

14in39h.jpg

So this is where I'm at. Knocked out the front pin. Sprayed some more penetrating oil into the whole thing. Still cant get the plunger to budge. There appears to be no spring inside, so I guess it did turn to powder. :dunno:

BlueEagle

Master
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    i'm not your boss or anything, but i'd quit wasting the time with all the other crap and just do as vitaminK says. it's cheap andd should fix it..

I think the problem now is that according to the pictures, the pin has been drifted out but the detent is still stuck. He'll have to find a way to remove that before he can put new pieces in.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I hate to say this, but I had one rifle that had a detent pin jammed into the hole. I had to remove the complete front sight base. I then found the thinnest punch I could get, and drilled a hole in the back of the sight to get at the back of the pin to drive it out.

After getting it out I drowned it in rust remover, cleaned it out with a drill bit by hand (not chucked up but literally by hand) to basically ream the hole out, and then used some epoxy to cover the hole, and used a dab of paint to hide the epoxy.

Hope you don't have that worst case, but that is how I got out a stuck pin.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    you should be able to get a dental pick in the hole and press against the recess of the detent (the recessed section that the pin slid through to hold the detent in place) to get it to poke out enough to grab with some pliers. If not, order the parts i listed earlier, grab a tiny cup and fill it with penetrating oil, invert your gun, and soak the entire sight in it until your parts arrive.

Thard6, i'll be quoting you in my sig line now...Thanks.

Top Bottom