• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    Have to help a friend move soon, From Pittsburgh area to Northern Indiana. What are the best options?

Will be a total bedroom set, kitchen table, hutch of some kind, a few misc tables, and some other odds and ends. I think. :)

I figure by the time you rent a truck and pay gas and drive the trip, it may be cheaper to have it shipped.

Thoughts?

deal me in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Avon
    What do you mean "have it shipped"? You can't just ship furniture. You could crate it all up and ship it, but I'm assuming you mean hiring a moving company. There are some companies offering "POD" service. They drop off a pod that you load up. Then they pick it up it, truck it to destination, and you unload. That's the only method that could be close in price to renting a truck yourself. Moving company will cost double.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Have to help a friend move soon, From Pittsburgh area to Northern Indiana. What are the best options?

Will be a total bedroom set, kitchen table, hutch of some kind, a few misc tables, and some other odds and ends. I think. :)

I figure by the time you rent a truck and pay gas and drive the trip, it may be cheaper to have it shipped.

Thoughts?

My son just moved his fiance and daughter here from the same area. Used my truck/rented trailer and did it himself.
    Fuel costs/trailer/hotels (it is a 12 hour plus roll with a 2 year old) her driving her car back fuel costs added up.
    Is someone there to help load a pod and have it shipped or will you have to go there anyway???

Your options are limited. 3 or 4 days of your life and all the costs or have it pod shipped.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    There is ALWAYS more than you think when someone moves. The U-pack option is good to look at. Some of the pod options MIGHT be worthwhile. Careful with the loading/unloading fees for the pod itself. You know, where they load/unload to/from the truck at each end.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I have been pricing costs to get all of my mom's stuff from IN to NC, and sadly, even with hiring helpers to load it and paying the cost of fuel and even budgeting a hotel stay (just in case) U-haul truck rental is cheaper than their pod solution, U-Pak, or anywhere else. It might depend on the amount of space needed, or where you are moving to/from; maybe in some instances other routes are indeed cheaper, but in my case renting the truck and doing it myself is several hundred dollars less than any other option I have found at this time.

Top Bottom