• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I just bought a henry lever 22 classic.I took it out yesterday and was trying to set sights on it.I am 67 yrs old and wear glasses/bifoculs.I shoot with glasses off because my lens darken too much to see down range at 25 yards.I shoot at a orange square stickon 2 1/2 inches . It seems to me at that range I should be shooting on square ALL the time ? When I put sight on orange square it fills the orange square with steel sight.Is 25yds unrealistic with iron sights ? I was hoping to shoot chipmunks at 50 yards, but now I dont know ? For guys who have henry rifles and shoot iron factory sights what do you guys think ? I was shooting aguila super xtra and federal bulk pak.Aguila shot better.I am going to be shooting eley hollow next time out . I only shot 150 rounds total , do you think I have not shot enough rounds to get barrel settled in ? Maybe the short barrel has something to do with it ? I used a bench and a front bag on forearm to steady it.THANKS FOR ANY INFO.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Where are the rounds hitting on the paper? Are the sights moving or are they firmly in place?

My Henry 22 would have no trouble keeping Federal bulk pack in a 2.5" square at 25 yards. I shoot with irons. My rear sight is pushed most of the way to the left to get zero'd though. Not close to centered.

If your front sight is filling in the entire square, it could be due to sight picture. Have you tried holding the very top of the front sight dead center on the square? Like this picture, yeah its a circular target but the important part is how the very top of the front post meets the very middle of the target. Centered-sight-picture.png

Also I don't think # of rounds thru the barrel should make much difference but all barrels are different. I recall mine shooting just as good new as it does now.

This is the Henry I'm using.

Last edited:

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    You can also change the front sight to their green fiber optic sight. Marks a big difference in visibility. Also, you could sight it in for a six o'clock hold so as not to cover up the center of the target.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Where are the rounds hitting on the paper? Are the sights moving or are they firmly in place?

My Henry 22 would have no trouble keeping Federal bulk pack in a 2.5" square at 25 yards. I shoot with irons. My rear sight is pushed most of the way to the left to get zero'd though. Not close to centered.

If your front sight is filling in the entire square, it could be due to sight picture. Have you tried holding the very top of the front sight dead center on the square? Like this picture, yeah its a circular target but the important part is how the very top of the front post meets the very middle of the target. View attachment 129213

Also I don't think # of rounds thru the barrel should make much difference but all barrels are different. I recall mine shooting just as good new as it does now.

This is the Henry I'm using.
    Honestly, I had my front dot sight in the center of the rear sight, Maybe I will try THIS sight picture.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I'm 58 and my eyes won't let me use those types of sights anymore. I can shoot okay with peep sights out to 100 yards, but I doubt I could hit within 2.5 at 25 with the notch sights. I have to either take off my glasses and have a fuzzy target, or put on my glasses and have fuzzy sights. Try putting a peep sight on it.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    My 57 yr old eyes struggle with those rear sights like the ones on the Henry. I put Skinner peep sights on two of my lever guns. I put an inexpensive set of Williams fiber optic dot sights on a Marlin 60 and that made a huge improvement for me as well.

Regarding the sight picture, I seem to do best when using a 6 o'clock hold, touching the bottom of the target with the top of the front sight.

At our age, you just have to keep trying different things until you find what works best for you.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I'm 58 and my eyes won't let me use those types of sights anymore. I can shoot okay with peep sights out to 100 yards, but I doubt I could hit within 2.5 at 25 with the notch sights. I have to either take off my glasses and have a fuzzy target, or put on my glasses and have fuzzy sights. Try putting a peep sight on it.
    I am retired and on tight budget , but I will look at prices on peep sights and then prices on 3x9x40 scopes and bases and see which is least expensive for me.I was originally was going to stay with iron sights , so I could stay on target faster in hvy woods,and wouldnt have to worry about banging up scope and knocking it off center.I kinda liked the looks of those skinner sights but didnt look at prices,they remind me of old times buffallo hunter sights,LOL.THANKS , I will look at them.Do they have to be installed by a gunsmith though ?

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    My 57 yr old eyes struggle with those rear sights like the ones on the Henry. I put Skinner peep sights on two of my lever guns. I put an inexpensive set of Williams fiber optic dot sights on a Marlin 60 and that made a huge improvement for me as well.

Regarding the sight picture, I seem to do best when using a 6 o'clock hold, touching the bottom of the target with the top of the front sight.

At our age, you just have to keep trying different things until you find what works best for you.
    Did you have to have a gunsmith put on skinner peep sight on your henry 22? How did the skinner peep sight work for you ? Let me know please.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Did you have to have a gunsmith put on skinner peep sight on your henry 22? How did the skinner peep sight work for you ? Let me know please.
    Skinner provides some decent instructions. I installed one myself on a Henry Big Boy and a Rossi 92. The Henry used existing scope mount holes and the Rossi used a dovetail slot. I believe your Henry 22 rear sight fits in a dovetail slot. You drift the factory sight out of the slot with a brass punch and then install the new sight the same way. You have to do a little filing on the new sight dovetail and slowly work it into the slot. Once you can push it in about halfway by hand, you drift it the rest of the way with a punch. A gunsmith can do this if you are not inclined to do so. I can't imagine it would cost too terribly much.

BMWRich

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Installed these HiViz fiber optic sights to help with my aging eye sight. They really *POP* in the sunlight. Sights setup for 15-25yrds.
    Honestly, it did change the GoldenBoy’s classic looks but for me that’s OK, I wanna see my sights.
    The rifle is capable of shooting 25yrds easily rested. Free standing, I’m good at 15yrds keeping my groups small.
    I do have a Marlin 60 with glass setup to shoot headshots at 25-50 yards.
    Below Photos (crappy phone pictures) of HiViz fiber optic mounted on my 22 GoldenBoy.

Attachments

• ED60FB80-8A90-422F-B556-23D96ED9B345.jpeg
      ED60FB80-8A90-422F-B556-23D96ED9B345.jpeg
      498.1 KB · Views: 9
    • 0BC41457-06EB-471F-80F8-9B52225F120A.jpeg
      0BC41457-06EB-471F-80F8-9B52225F120A.jpeg
      522.5 KB · Views: 9
    • 52D1C2AE-48B7-4660-958A-CAEB44386BCF.jpeg
      52D1C2AE-48B7-4660-958A-CAEB44386BCF.jpeg
      1.4 MB · Views: 9

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Installed these HiViz fiber optic sights to help with my aging eye sight. They really *POP* in the sunlight. Sights setup for 15-25yrds.
    Honestly, it did change the GoldenBoy’s classic looks but for me that’s OK, I wanna see my sights.
    The rifle is capable of shooting 25yrds easily rested. Free standing, I’m good at 15yrds keeping my groups small.
    I do have a Marlin 60 with glass setup to shoot headshots at 25-50 yards.
    Below Photos (crappy phone pictures) of HiViz fiber optic mounted on my 22 GoldenBoy.
    The change is noticable,something to look at and consider.Thanks

BMWRich

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Front sight a little tight to install. Be gentle.
    Rear sight, be mindful and careful of the DoveTail already cut from factory. Mine was bad.

I have two Henry’s and the GoldenBoy above photos) had nice cut Dovetails from factory. The other Henry which is the “pump action 22” has a *Bad* factory cut “rear” Dovetail. I should of sent the rifle back to Henry for a repair but I’m to impatient, so repaired the Dovetail myself.
    Works for me and looks good.

Maybe Henry’s quality control is going downhill

Any how get some good quality “soft jaw inserts for your bench vise, to make removing and installing sights a breeze....!
    I don’t remember where I bought these, magnetic hold to jaws, aluminum made with rubber inserts. Use “brass or aluminum drifts/punches” A “cold blueing pen” for light scratches. Goodluck!

Attachments

• 1E6DB808-2520-4FF2-B61F-E3549387A19E.jpeg
      1E6DB808-2520-4FF2-B61F-E3549387A19E.jpeg
      958.5 KB · Views: 4
    • 230E6570-8350-4F49-AE0E-B49F6DA2C98C.jpeg
      230E6570-8350-4F49-AE0E-B49F6DA2C98C.jpeg
      966.5 KB · Views: 4

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport

I likewise am 58 and have the exact same problem that you are describing above. Sucks getting old...er.:oldwise:

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Well, I just got a simmons pro target 3x9x40 scope, I think will fix issue, I got it at dunhams sports in LaPorte for 69 dollars , I think this will bring in my shots closer to center.I really wanted to stay with iron sights , that was my plan.Now I have to be xtra careful with scope on top.I hunt super hvy woods,really thick.

Top Bottom