• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    For anyone who shoots at the range in Clark State Forest, there will be a public hearing on the future of the range on Thursday September 12, 2013, 7 PM at the community center building in Henryville. I am not exactly sure where the comm center is located, but have been told it is directly across 31 from the high school.

From what I am hearing, the range will most likely remain open, but a fee will be required.

edit to add: I have no problem with paying a fee to shoot there, as long as it decreases the amount of idiots on the range.

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    For anyone who shoots at the range in Clark State Forest, there will be a public hearing on the future of the range on Thursday September 12, 2013, 7 PM at the community center building in Henryville. I am not exactly sure where the comm center is located, but have been told it is directly across 31 from the high school.

From what I am hearing, the range will most likely remain open, but a fee will be required.

edit to add: I have no problem with paying a fee to shoot there, as long as it decreases the amount of idiots on the range.

I will be going to support one of the best places that I go to. I am opposed to any kinds of fees because if they start to charge then why would I go there instead of Knob Creek? At least at Knob Creek there are plenty of shooting stations.

Gunner

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I am not exactly sure where the comm center is located, but have been told it is directly across 31 from the high school.

Unless they moved it after the tornado, its the former American Legion building just north of the high school. I haven't really paid attention after the rebuild of the town, though.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Strange ....
    I made a video about that place just one year before they go and try to mess it up er ah fix it.

[video=youtube;Wwp_uj9NQBI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwp_uj9NQBI[/video]

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    The Henryville Community Center is a concrete block building on the left side of Hwy 31 (if you are pointed North). Sign over front door says "American Legion". Sign next to steps says "Henryville Community Center".

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I have no problem paying a small fee, if provided it would be used to better the range and cut down on the retartedness that goes on there. The big problem with the range is that the Forestry wont send someone down to police the range, they are going to have to do something along those lines if they want to see any improvement there.

Tims87gn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Floyds Knobs
    I prefer it to remain free, but maybe a fee would cut down on some of the careless people that come there. Some of the stuff I've seen there makes you cringe. Also, maybe the money collected from potential fees could fund expanding it and create more shooting stations. Kinda sucks driving all the way there and then having to wait for an hour for someone to give up a bench. But then thats exactly why I joined a private club. Its safer and much more fun.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I also would have no problem paying a fee if it cut down on the sheer number of stupidity that goes on there.

Maybe they could take some of that revenue and lower the height of the benches, and make it an honest 100yd range...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I shoot there occasionally. I don't mind paying a fee to help offset the cost of maintenance but I wonder how that would work. Would they man a pay booth? Would we pay at the office? Would they limit the hours the range is open?

It's a 10 min drive from the office to the range and a lot of people don't bother signing in. Would they bother to stop in and pay? Every time I go I note how many are signed in to gage how busy the range is, and often there are many more people there than are signed in.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Last couple times I showed up on a Monday or Friday around noon...a DNR officer was at the range, asking everyone if they signed in and politely requesting they go do so if they had not.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Just talked to my BIL, who attended the meeting last night. He said there was a pretty good turn out, and the main things covered were that it looks like the range will remain open, and will more than likely be improved. The two options are to combine the main range with the LEO range, and dig out some of the hill to make it a true 100 yard range at the long end, or move the entire range from its present location to a site closer to the park office, that has already been selected. The new range would have more tables, and longer shooting distances.

Most people in attendance were opposed to paying a fee to shoot there, pointing out that the maintnance done on the range is done by prisoners at the work camp in the park. They also added that any work or moving that will happen won't take place till later next year at the soonest.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Just talked to my BIL, who attended the meeting last night. He said there was a pretty good turn out, and the main things covered were that it looks like the range will remain open, and will more than likely be improved. The two options are to combine the main range with the LEO range, and dig out some of the hill to make it a true 100 yard range at the long end, or move the entire range from its present location to a site closer to the park office, that has already been selected. The new range would have more tables, and longer shooting distances.

Most people in attendance were opposed to paying a fee to shoot there, pointing out that the maintnance done on the range is done by prisoners at the work camp in the park. They also added that any work or moving that will happen won't take place till later next year at the soonest.

Yeah, I wish I could have attended. I really like the idea of moving the range to a location closer to the office. That would make it much more convenient and perhaps more likely that people would bother to sign in. It's a PITA to sign in at the office, drive 10 mins to the range, then drive another 10 mins to sign out when you're done.

As for the fee, the maintenance done by inmates doesn't make it cost nothing. In addition to the cleanup, it costs a lot to replace the pit toilets when idiots decide it makes a fun target. The cost of making a new range, or improving the current range won't be nothing either. So I would not be opposed to paying a small fee when I want to shoot there.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I'd happily pay for a better (ie. longer ranges, more benches, etc.) range facility.

A convenient side benefit is it might discourage some of the rampant stupidity that occurs at the existing range.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I'd happily pay for a better (ie. longer ranges, more benches, etc.) range facility.

A convenient side benefit is it might discourage some of the rampant stupidity that occurs at the existing range.

^^^THIS..... I agree, I have no problem at all paying a fee if its going to be a better experience while shooting there. When I go Im there as soon as the sun is coming up an usually gone by 9am so that way I don't have to see any of the stupidness that goes on there during the day. I wont go there in the afternoon, haven't made that mistake in a long while. Just kinda stinks having to get up that early to go shoot, but Its very peaceful out there when your the only one out there as the sun comes up like it was this morning when I was out there.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    ^^^THIS..... I agree, I have no problem at all paying a fee if its going to be a better experience while shooting there. When I go Im there as soon as the sun is coming up an usually gone by 9am so that way I don't have to see any of the stupidness that goes on there during the day. I wont go there in the afternoon, haven't made that mistake in a long while. Just kinda stinks having to get up that early to go shoot, but Its very peaceful out there when your the only one out there as the sun comes up like it was this morning when I was out there.

I have a new Bisley Hunter I'll be wanting to shoot, perhaps an early morning meet up next weekend?

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Lemme know, maybe the missus will let me come out too!

Was just there a coupla weeks ago, cars lined up from the cul de sac to pounds road in the afternoon. Still managed to shoot my charcoal burner several hours.

Edit: this post musta been in a search tab, didn't realize how dated it was, lol.

Top Bottom