• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    By now we've all heard about how some reporter at the HTO got the carry permit database and predictably wrote a couple of articles about guns, carry permit holders, etc. I actually ponied up the 5 bucks to read both articles, and they're nothing special or unusual, just the usual amateurish hack pieces you'd expect. However, there was one interesting tidbit buried in the article:

This week, HeraldTimesOnline.com will launch its new gun permit database. You’ll be able to search gun permit records by county, city or town and street.
    Also, reporter Michael Malik will answer your questions about his gun permit series and the new database in a live Q&A at 11 a.m. Tuesday.

That's straight from the HTO's website, so I assure it's not hyperbole. I've got more details at Gun Nuts, including contact info for the publisher and editorial staff of the Herald Times. Let's keep it clean and classy, but also let them know that this kind of silly crap won't be tolerated.

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Yes, plus it's also nice to know that the HT thinks that gun owners should be treated like sex offenders and have a searchable online registry.

"You stay classy, Herald Times."

bonsaijackson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Absolutely terrible!

How does anyone propose we combat this HT proposal? Write the Editor? The columnist? Maybe they are simply not that smart and didn't realize the problem with that?

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    At GunNuts.Net, I've got the contact info for the publisher, editor-in-chief, and senior editor posted. I'd suggest calling and writing to them, and courteously explaining that what they're doing, while legal, is quite irresponsible as it could lead to law abiding citizens being targeted by criminals. If you're a subscriber, I would cancel my subscription as well.

Finally, contact your legislator and urge them to draft legislation that would make the publishing of carry permit holder data illegal.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes, by all means, let us politely tell the HT that this is a moronic idea.

However, a better use of our energy is to change the law and remove this database from the public record.

Of course, I've been saying this for decades, but who listens to me.:D

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The publisher doesn't care. The editorial staff is the hardest of the hardest core leftists there are.

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Changing the law would be the best fit solution.

As far as the ed-staff and the publisher not caring, I'm not exactly surprised by that, so that's why I'd really like to hit them in the wallet. Canceling subscriptions and getting advertisers to pull out would be really nice.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    They aren't publishing names, addresses or other personal information. They've had this database online for the past 3 years that I know of for just Monroe County issued licenses. They're expanding it to statewide.

Bob Zaltsberg (HT Editor)
    Monday, November 30, 2009: 9:57 am

The data base will NOT include names or specific street addresses. For the reasons mentioned by some of you above, we have never contemplated naming individuals or including individual street addresses.

It will allow a search by street in a community. I really have doubts about whether that information will put anyone at greater risk in any way, and it would seem to be interesting information for individuals to know whether their street or their community is particularly well armed.

inav8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Pendleton
    One has to wonder if their online database will be complete or if it will exclude their (HTO) employees who have LTCH?... Fortunately for LTCH'ers HTO charges at least $6/month to access their site.

We really need to demand that our lawmakers make at least some of the identifiable details unavailable. Other states have laws to protect their law abiding citizens who carry, it's not like we'd be asking for something completely out of the ordinary.

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I got a look at the database, and its current incarnation doesn't publish address or names. What it allows you to do is look up your street and see how many people in your area have concealed carry permits.

I wonder how the HT would react if someone published a database that allowed you to look up your street and see how many Jews/African-Americans/homosexuals/minorities lived there? They'd probably toss a fit, but it's okay if it's gun owners, because we're all heavily armed BAD PEOPLE.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    k97z8i.png

2ypcc5e.png

You can search by county, city or street. You can then see the number of permit holders per street.

inav8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Pendleton
    I got a look at the database, and its current incarnation doesn't publish address or names. What it allows you to do is look up your street and see how many people in your area have concealed carry permits.
    If it's going to be similar to the Indy Star's searchable database (where no personally identifiable details are given) then I have no problems with what they are going to do. It's when I start to receive threats via mail, phone calls, etc then I'm going to take issue.

But still, as I'm sure others have said before me, we should encourage our lawmakers to protect our personal information. I would not be happy if anybody could get a photo copy of my signed application... :ar15:

truegrit

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Highland,IN
    perhaps an editorial reply with the street names of the HT staff's homes? The info may be available through google or county records if they won't post it a weekly shopper might in it's classifieds

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    If it's going to be similar to the Indy Star's searchable database (where no personally identifiable details are given) then I have no problems with what they are going to do.

So you're okay with carry permit holders being treated like second class citizens to be avoided? You're okay with the HTO setting this list up under the guise of "is your neighborhood safe" as though carry permit holders were some menace to society?

Top Bottom