Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/07/us/07police.html?_r=1

November 7, 2009

She Ran to Gunfire, and Ended It

By JAMES C. McKINLEY Jr.
    KILLEEN, Tex. — The police officer who brought down a gunman after he went on a shooting rampage at the Fort Hood Army base here was on the way to have her car repaired when she responded to a police radio report of gunfire at a center where soldiers are processed before being sent overseas, the authorities said Friday.
    As she pulled up to the center, the officer, Sgt. Kimberly Denise Munley, spotted the gunman, later identified as Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, brandishing a pistol and chasing a wounded soldier outside the building, said Chuck Medley, the director of emergency services at the base.
    Sergeant Munley — a woman with a fierce love of hunting, surfing and other outdoor sports — bolted from her car, yanked her pistol out and shot at Major Hasan. He turned on her and began to fire. She ran toward him, continuing to fire, and both she and Major Hasan went down with several bullet wounds, Mr. Medley said.
    Whether Sergeant Munley was solely responsible for taking down Major Hasan or whether he was also hit by gunfire from her partner is unclear, but she was the first to fire at him, the authorities said.
    Sergeant Munley, 34, is an expert in firearms and a member of the SWAT team for the civilian police department on the base, officials said.
    Mr. Medley said she had received specific training in a tactic called active shooter protocol, which was intended for this kind of situation.
    “She’s absolutely a hero,” he said. “She had the training; she knew what to do. And she had the courage to do it — by doing it she saved countless people’s lives.”
    The original 911 call came in at 1:23 p.m., and five minutes later Sergeant Munley had already shot the gunman.
    Lt. Gen. Robert W. Cone, the post commander, praised Sergeant Munley on Friday for reacting so swiftly and without hesitation. “It was an amazing and an aggressive performance by this police officer,” General Cone told The Associated Press.
    Sergeant Munley began her career as a police officer in the beachside town of Wrightsville, N.C., after graduating from high school in nearby Wilmington. She quickly earned a reputation for fearlessness, despite her stature. (She stands 5-foot-4.)
    Her partner in Wrightsville, Investigator Shaun Appler, recalled how Sergeant Munley saved him one night when she wrestled a large man off him after the man had pinned him down and was trying to take his gun. She earned the nickname Mighty Mouse for that, he said.
    “She’s a ball of fire,” Mr. Appler said. “She’s a real good cop.”
    In facing down the gunman at Fort Hood, Sergeant Munley was wounded in each thigh and her right wrist. The base’s fire chief applied tourniquets to stop her bleeding, and she was taken to an undisclosed hospital.
    Her friends and relatives who spoke to her Friday said she was recovering and in good spirits. Sergeant Munley, who has two children, joined the police force on the sprawling base in January 2008 after several years in the Army, most of them at Fort Hood.
    It was there she met her future husband, Matthew Munley, a member of the Special Forces. The couple is in the process of selling their house and moving back to North Carolina, where her husband has been assigned to Fort Bragg, family members said.
    They live with their 3-year-old daughter in a tidy community of ranch-style homes on the south side of Killeen. Her neighbors described her as quiet and friendly. She was often seen washing her Chevy Tahoe in front of her house, tending her lawn and playing with her daughter.
    One neighbor, Sgt. First Class William Barbrow, said that about a year ago Sergeant Munley chased down a burglar who had been prowling around the neighborhood.
    “When she is in uniform, she looks sharp and crisp, her body language says she is professional and there to handle business,” Sergeant Barbrow said.
    She was also scrupulously honest, friends said. A year ago, she took pains to pay for the damage she caused to a neighbor’s car with her sport utility vehicle, even though no one had seen the accident.
    Sergeant Munley’s biography on her Twitter site reflected her sunny outlook. “I go to sleep peacefully at night knowing that I may have made a difference in someone’s life,” she wrote.
    Mr. Medley said Sergeant Munley was an advanced firearms instructor for the civilian force, which is used to assist the military police with policing the vast fort, where 150,000 soldiers and their families live and work.
    Sergeant Munley’s father, Dennis Barbour, owns a hardware store in Carolina Beach, N.C., and is a former mayor.
    She worked as an officer in the Wrightsville Beach Police Department from March 2000 to February 2002, receiving three letters of commendation, Police Chief John S. Carey said. Her marksmanship was impeccable, Chief Carey said.
    “She was very friendly and outgoing,” the chief recalled. “She was pretty fearless, considering she is such a small officer.”
    She developed a love of shooting as a young girl, her grandmother Monirie Metz said. She killed her first deer when she was 11 on a hunting trip with her grandfather.
    She was also an avid surfer as a teenager, attacking the sport with the same verve and courage she showed in other parts of her life, her grandmother recalled.
    But when she discovered police work, she found her true calling, Ms. Metz said. “She loves that work,” she said.
    Gretel C. Kovach and Campbell Robertson contributed reporting.

njs.gif

d9db7c0Q2FFVJ11yR1fe1eeAejCV4AJRCj

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Wow — finally a set of circumstances where not even the NYT dares to smear a Southern gun-loving hunter as a backwards, ignorant redneck.

But don't worry. I'm sure they'll resume their anti-gun, anti-Southern editorial policies as soon as the political heat from this incident cools down....

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    As I said on the other thread about this Hero, she and her family should be proud.

She not only stared down the devil, she also punched him full of holes.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    The world needs more Sgt. Munleys. I applaud her courage and pray for her to find peace in the actions she took and for her complete recovery from her wounds. Shooting another human being would be without question the most difficult decision a LEO has to make. Many people should be grateful she did not hesitate in her duties. God bless her and those like her. She is a true hero and what all LEO's strive to be.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    Q. Where's a police officer when you really need one?

A. Running into gunfire, taking down the bad guy.

Job well done. Every time I read about something like this, it restores a little of my faith in humanity. There really ARE heroes out there, and its inspiring to watch them work.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Someone needs to send her a free lifetime membership to Team Awesome.

Another fine example of a Gun Free Zone!

That's what you got out of that story?:n00b:

Sergeant Munley — a woman with a fierce love of hunting, surfing and other outdoor sports —

When I read this part, I couldn't help but think about this scene in Top Secret:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-jqEj1Hvnc]YouTube - Skeet Surfing[/ame]

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    The world needs more Sgt. Munleys. I applaud her courage and pray for her to find peace in the actions she took and for her complete recovery from her wounds. Shooting another human being would be without question the most difficult decision a LEO has to make. Many people should be grateful she did not hesitate in her duties. God bless her and those like her. She is a true hero and what all LEO's strive to be.

+1 what Public servent said, I could not have said it any better or add anything to it, God bless her.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County

I couldn't of said it better myself. +1

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Q. Where's a police officer when you really need one?

A. Running into gunfire, taking down the bad guy.

Job well done. Every time I read about something like this, it restores a little of my faith in humanity. There really ARE heroes out there, and its inspiring to watch them work.

^^This, absolutely.

LEOs often get raked over the coals on this site, a trend I would like to see change.
    There are many, many good officers out there. There are some who go so far above and beyond the call of duty as to be called heroes. Sgt. Munley, IMHO, is one of those, though I suspect she would likely say that she was doing her job and no more, and that any good officer should do no less.
    The actions of the individual reflect only on her, of course, but much of what she did every day, prior to this event, showed her character. I suspect that many of the officers we meet in our lives do likewise, and are not recognized for the same. To those who uphold their oaths and take them as seriously as those oaths deserve to be taken, I say
    thanks.gif

Blessings,
    Bill

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    She not only stared down the devil, she also punched him full of holes.

Same as the lady in Utah. Never underestimate a woman with the means to end evil. Never.

And thank God for them both!

Top Bottom