• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    However, I do it specifically because of the above post. I am not only willing to endure those things listed, but rather I welcome them. I truly look forward to the opportunities I have when a stranger sees me OCing and works up the courage to ask me about it, whether positive or negative.

Thanks for being that person, bglaze. I just don't have the fortitude to do it and I'm grateful that others do.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I don't generally oc but it is reassuring to know that if for some reason I take my overshirt or jacket off I'm not suddenly breaking the law.
    I don't want to be the new sheriff in town just able to defend myself.
    ON the other side of this issue I've said for ever that if everyone carried openly the crime rate would be much lower and the need to carry at all would be mitigated.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    ON the other side of this issue I've said for ever that if everyone carried openly the crime rate would be much lower and the need to carry at all would be mitigated.

I agree. If everyone carried a gun, we would live in a much more polite society.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Man With A Gun. As in "911?!? Help! Help! I'm a soccer mom and I just saw a Man With A Gun! No...he's not doing anything, just shopping with his family, but HE'S GOT A GUN!!!"

Markedup

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I agree with this 1000%. If you're vigilant and have eyes in the back of your head, watching every person all around you, all the times, then yeah, go for it . Open carry to your hearts content. But if you want to relax, shop, hang around or whatever and not be so alert and vigilant, -----QUOTE]

I agree. I am an old fart, too lazy to be in the constant state
    of vigilant. I open carry alertly mostly when paid to do so. There
    aren't any rattlesnakes (change rattlers to bears;thanks, Dave D.)around Allen county.Mostly, my P3AT in
    a Uncle Mike's pocket holster is,in my mind, enough.

Thanks

Mark

Last edited:

Coaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Brownsburg
    I agree since I to am also an old fart. Personally I would rather no one even know I am carrying until weapon is needed. However, if open carry makes you more comfortable, more power to you.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Mrsmitty,

You seem perfectly happy with concealed carry, and uncomfortable with OC. Why do you want to change and get used to OC? Just a question, not a criticism.

Sometimes folks (like myself) like to do something beyond their comfort zone, "just because." Is that your reason?
    There seems to be alot of oc'ers on here and I was wondering how you get to the comfort level that they have, I hate when you hear some one asking, or has been asked "what are you a bad ass?" Alot of the time, in the summer I'm wearing a t-shirt and I know I print, so I'm not hiding, just not flaunting...If I hijacked someone's thread I apologize I did not intend to

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    No, the criminals would just have more people to target first :rolleyes:

Same old pointless comment. Until someone with your argument can show us one example of an Open Carrier being the 'first one to be taken out' in the course of a crime, then your argument holds no water. This just does not happen. If it did, criminals wouldn't care if cops were inside a bank they were about to rob. They would just shoot them in the back and continue on with their robbery. But they don't do this. They either wait for them to leave, or find another bank to rob. If they see a cop what is it they really see? Do they really think the cop has some supernatural ability to foil their plans? Or do they see a gun in their holster and realize that they might just fight back with force?

Open carry deters armed robbery in Kennesaw - Atlanta gun rights | Examiner.com

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I never really thought anything about OC, or other peoples reactions to it until I came to this site. I will occasionally OC, and did before my INGO days when I'm fishing, or working in the yard or garage, but when I go out in public, say, out to dinner, the grocery, whatever, I always CC, even if not very deeply concealed, and always have. With my current EDC gun, it's just as easy for me to CC as to OC, so it's never really an issue, but I'll admit, I'm a little more self conscious when I know I'm wearing something that allows the gun to print more than usual. I respect those who OC, I just don't choose to do it myself.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Same old pointless comment. Until someone with your argument can show us one example of an Open Carrier being the 'first one to be taken out' in the course of a crime, then your argument holds no water. This just does not happen. If it did, criminals wouldn't care if cops were inside a bank they were about to rob. They would just shoot them in the back and continue on with their robbery. But they don't do this. They either wait for them to leave, or find another bank to rob. If they see a cop what is it they really see? Do they really think the cop has some supernatural ability to foil their plans? Or do they see a gun in their holster and realize that they might just fight back with force?

Open carry deters armed robbery in Kennesaw - Atlanta gun rights | Examiner.com

Did you miss:rolleyes:, sarcasm :laugh:

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    You might find this interesting...

There was a poll taken recently on the Arizona forum..."Do you Open or Conceal Carry?"

Of those responding... 75% chose Conceal Carry.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    This is YOUR thread.

Are you Mr Smitty, or Mrs Mitty?

Thanks

Mark

Remembering weapons retention lessons
    from Army basic training.
    LOL... Mr Smitty forgot to cap when I signed on for a screen name, you can call me Mrs Mitty if you want , but prefer MR.....usually go by Smitty at work

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Personally, I started OC when I got my LTCH. I find it comfortable. Also makes for some good conversation with folks. I've talked guns with people at a gas station to the guy that owns the jewelry store that the wife and I go to, to just random people at a store. At first I felt like I was being stared at, but after a week or so that feeling went away.

Just do what's comfortable, because at the end of the day, that's what matters.

-MColford

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I don't know why I'm hesitant to OC, I CC all the time when not at work...but OC...hmm, I am most certainly not ashamed of my gun, but cannot bring myself to OC...any thoughts? How do I overcome this?:dunno:

It sounds to me like you have what is called "common sense". Not to common these days. Why a person would want to openly show their carry weapon for all to see is beyond me. But I guess some people don't think like I do. And that is fine I guess.

Top Bottom