• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Keep the oil changed and maybe use a full synthetic additive like Slick 50, then drive it into the ground.

This. Drive it until it no longer will turn over. You won't cause any "additional" damage if the engine is already unrepairable, so might as well. And when that happens, tow it to a salvage yard and buy a new car.

I'm assuming it's a lot more than lifter noise if Kia won't even quote a repair. They make good money on repairs, so if they "pass", it's probably not worth repairing.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Carmax will probably make you a WAY better offer than Carvana.

Signed,

A guy that got way more from Carmax on his '09 Kia Sedona with 183k miles vs. what Carvana was going to offer.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The GDI uses a high pressure fuel pump right next to the valve cover, those and the injectors can get very loud. I would try to make sure of where the tick is coming from. A mechanic stethoscope or the old screwdriver to the ear trick. The fuel pump is the silver canister at the back drivers side of the valve cover.

If it is from under the valve cover it could be a broken valve spring. Wouldn't take much to open it up and take a look. This is not the kind of work a dealership is looking for, try to find a reputable mechanic in the area.

It still has life left in it at that mileage if it has had good maintenance and the rust hasn't got it.

The knock sensor is what monitors for knocking from anything really.
    I remember working on 2011ish Hyundai GDI 4-bangers. They had a high pressure fuel pump right on top of the valve cover. Ticked so loud the engine cover had a big lump of rubber noise insulator that fit over it.

Are we SURE this isn't just direct injection making direct injection noises?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I remember working on 2011ish Hyundai GDI 4-bangers. They had a high pressure fuel pump right on top of the valve cover. Ticked so loud the engine cover had a big lump of rubber noise insulator that fit over it.

Are we SURE this isn't just direct injection making direct injection noises?
    We are not sure of anything.

Seems like the OP hasn't given anymore info so I'm not real sure what help he was looking for.

I think a decision may have already been made.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    We are not sure of anything.

Seems like the OP hasn't given anymore info so I'm not real sure what help he was looking for.

I think a decision may have already been made.
    I have been researching various options.
    A local salvage yard has offered $500 on the 2013 Kia and $300 on the 2002 Caravan.

I've been to Car Tech twice now and they still haven't got back to me on weather they'll even take on the job or give me an estimate. I was only able to talk to the receptionist at the counter. I know they swap engines because I saw one sitting in a crate on the shop floor.
    One other shop never got back to me either.
    That leads me to believe that they don't think it's worth it, sooooo.

I know the Caravan engine cannot be saved, spun bearing on #5 rod. I did a temporary fix with an oversized bearing so that I could move it around or drive a short distance but that's it.

I haven't yet found anyone who will look at the Kia who knows the engine and can tell me for sure what's making the ticking noise. I used my stethoscope and it definitely sounds like it's coming from inside the valve cover. If it was a simple valve cover I would remove it myself a see what's going on but it has fuel injectors which I know nothing about and I don't want to make things worse.

After watching a YouTube video on this vary problem, I don't feel comfortable removing the camshafts to try to quiet the noise and I suspect it would be costly to pay to have it done.
    So the salvage yard is looking better all the time.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom