• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    So, my current watch is dying and I need to get a new one. Looking for a bit of input. I want something that looks good, but I am a working man with 3 kids so Tag and Breitling and the like are WAY out. Current watch is just a Fossil and I'm not really opposed to another one, just looking to see what other cool things are out there that I don't know about yet.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Timex, takes a linking and keeps on ticking. ;) Couldn't help it. I don't know much about high end watches. Enjoy the new watch, what ever one you get!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    What purpose do you have for your watch?
    Is it a tool that you depend upon to know what time it is, even in the dark, in water, in foul weather, or in other fairly unfavorable environments?
    Or are you looking for a showpiece?

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    What purpose do you have for your watch?
    Is it a tool that you depend upon to know what time it is, even in the dark, in water, in foul weather, or in other fairly unfavorable environments?
    Or are you looking for a showpiece?

I'm not captain high speed, but I do want it to be fairly durable. I work and play outdoors in all types of weather. I want it to look decent too. I don't really want to have separate watches for work and then going out with the wife, know what I mean?

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    Rats! I thought someone was about to perform some stupid, life-threatening stunt for the cameras!:rockwoot: Never mind.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this when opening this thread. On the watch note, I have a Timex Indigo that I have had for years. I think I am on my 3rd band. I don't wear it everyday because what I do for a living is not good on watches. When I got married, my wife bought me a gold and Stainless Steel watch for the wedding made my Seiko. I only wear that watch to Church and the like. -Jason

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    You could buy a broken Rolex! We had a manager that wore a Rolex and was constantly asking others what time it was, he "claimed" he was checking their watches accuracy against his incredibly expensive, hyper accurate mechanical wonder of the world. Turns out it had been broken for over a year and he was too cheap to have it fixed.:lmfao:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Bob, recommend you go on Amazon with no filters in place and just scroll through and find a few combos of band material/face color and design that you really like the look of; then scan the many offerings more carefully (perhaps with price filters) to see how far down you can drive the price point and still get a look you like. For work I'm right there with igotdiesel2, i wear a cheap Timex digital because they're ... well, cheap... if I wreck it. I also like the digital chrono because sometimes I have to make quick and dirty estimates of flow rates or cycle times.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I recommend the Citizen catalog. Based on your guidelines I would first look at the Corso and the Avion.

This would be my recommendation as well. I have a Citizen EcoDrive and I love it. It looks really nice and you don't have to replace batteries. You could also look at Suunto if you're into having lots of cool extras like altimeters and barometers and stuff. Both of those options would put you in the $200 - $300 range. A Casio G-Shock solar atomic watch would be a good option for about $100, but they aren't too fancy to look at in my opinion.

RevoWood123

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2015
    North Louisville (So Ind)
    You can also get a Casio Pathfinder (which comes in either plastic black band) or the cool one with the titanium band. Looks dressy enough, but a tough watch as well. Suuntos are nice as well, I own a couple of those in addition to the Pathfinder (which battery is dead currently). For something more dressy, yet solid watch, definitly look at the Citizen Eco-Drives. One of my favorite dress watches is my Bulova self-winding mechanical, but it is only for "occasions" for the most part.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Buy a Mallard. Clockwise Time Service at 7355 Michigan Road, Indianapolis has them.
    Mine has been keeping near perfect time for 20 years.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    right now in the classifields here there is a marathon tsar for 500 bucks. if u could get it for 350 that would be a deal. its a nice heavy duty swiss made watch. what style of watch do u like, do u just want something to tell time, or do u want to buy history and craftsmensship? you can buy a really nice seiko for 150 bucks, i would buy a real watch and stay away from the fassion watches like your fossil.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a Seiko watch that looks good when I wear a suit, but stays in the drawer any other time. I wear a Casio digital daily. Very thin, does not catch on anything. Stop watch, calendar, timer, alarm function as well as dependable. $30-$35.

Top Bottom