• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I've got (well, dad is borrowing until he can't shoot anymore) a carbine in 9mm, and it shoots perfectly. Between my brother and I, I would have to estimate that it's had over a thousand rounds through it with no trouble that was the fault of the carbine.

One of the ranges I used to belong to in Ohio had a 9mm and a .40 handgun as rentals, and they both ran just fine for range duty.

So, I guess in my experience, they're just fine. I think they look like tactical phasers from Star Trek or something, but that's okay.. I'd have no problem keeping one in the trunk or tacklebox to defend myself against the alien scum of the far reaches of the universe..

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    I owned one, sold it to a guy looking for a inexpensive handgun. I'm buying another new one on Saturday if all goes right. I liked my C-9, never had the slightest bit of problem with it. I appreciate the fact that an American company is making an inexpensive, functional (albeit ugly) self defense and range gun for those who can't afford one or are unwilling to spend the bucks for whatever reason. I've had a Glock, and I own a S&W M&P 9c. Is the HiPoint made to the level of the M&P.. Nope. It's also (at the time) 350 dollars or so less for the HiPoint. I was expecting much less a gun for $150.00. I was pleasantly surprised. I also have the 995 carbine. I wouldn't trade it, and it's ugly too.
    Just my opinion.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Thank you!

Thanks for your thoughts Bubbajm's and Tatters! I decided I am gonna give the C9 a shot if I can locate one!!:D

perminator

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    east side indy
    i own a c9 and ive had nothing but jamming problems with it. it dosent matter what kind of ammunition i use good amo cheap amo it always jams atleast one out of every oter clip i definately wouldnt use one for anything more than a plinking gun.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Thanks for your thoughts Bubbajm's and Tatters! I decided I am gonna give the C9 a shot if I can locate one!!:D
    If you ever need anything in regards to this just let me know. I've got a lot of links and such for Hi Point related resources. I'm confident you'll be happy with your C9. Just PM me if you need anything!! :rockwoot:

Sent you a P.M.!!

Gun Test Magazine - May '06:

"Low-Cost 9mms: Hi-Point’s C9 Vs. Bersa’s 18-Shot Thunder 9

We really liked the High-Capacity Bersa, but we couldn’t fault the Hi-Point for being anything but ugly. Fed a variety of ammo, the C9 kept on ticking, and it saves you money in the bargain.

clearpixel.gif
    The 9mm cartridge continues to retain its immense popularity, and those with little experience with firearms take to it quite well. Those with more experience know there are better self-defense rounds, but not many will argue that you can get ammunition for a 9mm at a cost far lower than most, if not all other, centerfire handgun cartridges. The handguns that shoot it are a different story altogether. The more-costly versions can easily run well into four figures, but most decent 9mm autoloaders sell for under a grand. But we know many folks can’t justify spending even half that on a decent firearm. So how low can you go?

To find out, we chose two full-size 9mm pistols that might appeal to the buyer looking for a bargain. The first handgun we chose was the Hi-Point C9 with a suggested retail price of $140, but commonly selling for around a C-note or even less. We found one listed at $92. Can you expect such a handgun to work, much less work well? Our second pistol was the High-Capacity Bersa Thunder 9, just recently available. It lists for $442, or less if you shop around. While not inexpensive, the Bersa has several desirable features that many higher-priced handguns don’t have, most notably its 17+1-shot capacity.
    We tested these guns with Black Hills 147-grain JHP, Winchester 147-grain SXT JHP, and with Winchester 115-grain JHP ball. We shot for slow-fire accuracy at 15 yards from a solid rest, and for simulated self-defense fire with fast, controlled pairs from seven yards, using two hands. We also tried several other types of ammunition including Cor-Bon 125-grain JHP and Ultramax 115-grain lead-bullet loads for function or potential problems, but didn’t report them formally. Here’s what we found.
    Hi-Point C9 9mm, $140
    This was one of the homeliest handguns we’ve seen. To add to the insult, it was top-heavy and, to some of us, clumsy in the hand—though some shooters liked the grip a lot. Its matte-black slide was massive and heavy because there’s no barrel lockup. It’s a blow-back handgun, so all that slide weight is necessary. The big slide was coated with what looked like polymer or perhaps Teflon, but was in fact powder coat, which is an extremely durable paint-like process commonly used on faucets and other items designed to be handled a lot. We expect to see more powder-coated handguns in the future. The finish was extremely attractive and seemed to be durable as well.
    The frame was made of polymer. We found the grip surfaces to be too slick, despite the serrations on the front and back straps and the molded-in, finger-position aids. The slightly grainy surface got slicker when wet. The grip panels, and thus the whole gun, could be greatly improved by more roughness or texture, we thought, without adding expense.
    The safety lever was on the left side. It moved up to lock the trigger, down to fire, and it was easily controlled by right-handers. Lefties would have problems with this gun, we thought. The Hi-Point could be carried cocked and locked. We thought you’d have a hard time finding a holster, but were wrong. The company website has a link for them, and with the great popularity of this pistol, you won’t have to look hard to find a decent holster.
    The gun came with one eight-round magazine with a finger extension. Ten-rounders are available, for $15. The Hi-Point is striker fired, and it could not be fired with the magazine removed. The mag button was on the left, behind the trigger guard, about where it is on a 1911-type auto. The trigger was polymer, and worked well, we thought. It broke at 7.7 pounds, about right for a DAO-type handgun, and very similar in feel to a Kahr. The sights were outstanding, we thought. There was a fully adjustable rear with two red dots, and an integral, clearly visible front that carried a yellow dot. The gun was thoroughly dehorned, with no sharp edges anywhere. Takedown was a bit different. Clear the gun, remove the magazine, and lock the slide fully rearward with the safety lever. This exposes a pin visible through the safety notch in the slide. Drive out this pin with a hammer and punch. Then let the slide go fully forward, pull it back about half an inch, pull it upward and ease it off the barrel forward. Inspection of the innards revealed simple but effective construction. Those of us who appreciate finely made firearms were not inspired, other than by the fact that this simple gun did in fact work, and work very well. Reassembly was easy.
    The warranty is hard to beat: “All Hi-Point Firearms carry a Lifetime, no-questions asked warranty.” So stated the company website. It also declared that if any Hi-Point firearm is ever need of service, send it to the Dayton, Ohio, address for no-charge repair, other than shipping costs. This applies to whoever owns the gun, not just the original purchaser. We don’t know of any other maker who offers such a comprehensive, simple, and clearly stated warranty. However, the instruction sheet that came with the gun declared the policy extended to only the original purchaser. A phone call to the manufacturer cleared this up. The present and future policy is in fact to extend the warranty to whomever owns the gun, not just the original purchaser, and this will be clarified in future instruction sheets that accompany the guns. On the range , a tweak of the well-detented rear-sight elevation adjustment got us centered, and we then proceeded to hammer the dickens out of the 3-inch black, rapid-fire, with the Hi-Point. We admit this gun felt better the more we shot it, but some of us still didn’t like the slippery feel of the grip. For a quick cure, one could simply wrap the grip with the sticky black tape used on ball bats and hammer handles. To our utter amazement, our shooters could make faster and better hits with the Hi-Point than with the Bersa, shooting both guns as fast as they could keep the shots on the paper from 7 yards. It’s far easier to make good, fast hits with the Hi-Point, we found, than by fighting the very long and stiff DA/SA pulls of the otherwise very nice Bersa. Ultimate accuracy was about 3 inches, sometimes better, for five shots at 15 yards."
    :cheers:

Last edited:

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    Picked my new C-9 up today. It came with hard case. My last one came packaged in a box. Nice touch.

Looking forward to breaking in the new pistol.

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    I own 2 C9's I teach CCW classes and I use them as loaner guns for the students that show up with 22's.

I have never had a problem with either except when someone would limp wrist it and cause a misfeed. One of them I can actually make one ragged hole in the center of the target with. It's very accurate.

Would I carry one? No, I have better carry guns. Would I discourage someone who can't afford a more expensive gun from carrying one? No! The first rule of a gun fight is have a gun.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I own 2 C9's I teach CCW classes and I use them as loaner guns for the students that show up with 22's.

I have never had a problem with either except when someone would limp wrist it and cause a misfeed. One of them I can actually make one ragged hole in the center of the target with. It's very accurate.

Would I carry one? No, I have better carry guns. Would I discourage someone who can't afford a more expensive gun from carrying one? No! The first rule of a gun fight is have a gun.

Well stated and based on first hand experience. Very refreshing. Thank You!!! :yesway: :patriot:

mrbunky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    clark co
    i have a c9 and so does my oldest son.they work every time.most of the gun snobs who hate them have never shot one.remember the gun dosen't
    do anything but deliver the bullet.well over 2000 rounds thru mine never a problem. my son shoots his constantly and loves his to.he said he has more down the tube than me.enjoy it and remember that most of what
    you will be told will be neg just because they don't use them in the movies or on tv. by the way did you know they are rated for +p+.:draw:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    i have a c9 and so does my oldest son.they work every time.most of the gun snobs who hate them have never shot one.remember the gun dosen't
    do anything but deliver the bullet.well over 2000 rounds thru mine never a problem. my son shoots his constantly and loves his to.he said he has more down the tube than me.enjoy it and remember that most of what
    you will be told will be neg just because they don't use them in the movies or on tv. by the way did you know they are rated for +p+.:draw:
    Why yes....... Yes I did!!! :yesway: :D

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne

My only point was that every time I get to the range I use that as a training session. By using my carry guns almost exclusively, I become more proficient.

The only question was how nice of shooter are they. Mild recoil due to weight and not the best trigger. I am not bashing the gun, just not my choice. I would buy reloading components and crank out some ammo for my carry gun with the money.

Top Bottom