• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    OK, I know Hi-Point takes a lot of crap on this and other boards, but I felt compelled to share my recent experience with their customer service.

A couple weeks ago, we took in a used older model (pre-TS) 995 carbine. It looked a little rough on the outside, but nothing major, and we priced it to move. Customer comes in and wants to buy the gun, asks to use a bore light to check the inside of the barrel. Fires it up, sticks it in the breech, looks down the muzzle and says he can't see anything. I check it, same result. Hmm. I go back to the workroom and stick a rod down the barrel, stops dead about 2/3 of the way down. Tap the end a few times with a mallet, and two fired bullets come out. :eek: The nose of the front one is a little goofed up from being hit with the rod, the one behind it is almost pristine. I can now see down the bore, and cannot detect any rings, bulges, dark spots or other signs of damage. Still, someone more qualified than I needs to check this thing out before we clear it for sale. I pack it up and send it back to Hi-Point (formerly Beemiller Mfg., now Strassell's Machine; I read in this month's American Rifleman that Tom Deeb, Hi-Point's founder, has retired and sold the company to Mike Strassell, his chief engineer) with a note explaining the situation and requesting that they check the gun, repair what needed repaired, and contact me regarding any related charges.

Yesterday we got the gun back. Turns out the bore was undamaged by the squibs, but the folks at Hi-Point ended up replacing several internal parts due to unrelated wear or corrosion, replaced the stock screws, polished the bolt rails and feed ramp, cleaned and test-fired the gun and returned it to us, at no charge.

We have sold a ton of Hi-Point pistols and carbines over the years. Our return/complaint rate has been astonishingly low, considering how relatively crudely the guns are built, and the few issues we have had, have been addressed quickly, professionally and free of charge. FWIW.

Last edited:

sgt1968

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2015
    lynn
    ya there are i lot of peps ouy there that will say crap about hi-points but thay are sold every day so in saying that yes i have hi-points and i haved no thats none .problums with mine..

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I have no love, attention to, or appreciation for Hi Points. Just don't care.

However, one of the people at Hi Point has told me before that as long as they can read the serial number, they'll pretty much warranty the gun, this includes house fires and smoke damage.

That really surprised me, not many, if others at all, will openly say the same

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Thanks for sharing.

If I wanted a "stash" gun on a budget, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a hi-point. They're ugly, bulky, etc. but they work
    2 of my friends and my brother-in-law have owned multiple hi-points and have never had any problems with them in 9mm, .40, and .45

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The current model of the carbines don't look so bad and I would buy one to goof with if they had the ability to reliably shoot more than 10 round mags. I know pro mag makes some to be used in the Hi Point carbine but they are reportedly unreliable.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Highpoints really are the moped of the shooting world. I have NEVER heard of someone being dissapointed with highpoint customer service. Often times a serviced gun is sent back with an extra mag or two.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i know of two times hi point went above and beyond for their customers, once i saw the slide and bbl of a c9 split down the side, the guy was shooting some range bought reloads, got a squib, and pulled the trigger a second time. split the bbl and slide, locked up the gun totally, would not budge, remember i said squib load, not the fault of beemiller!, not the fault of the gun owner!, 100% the fault of the range and ammo they reloaded!

they replaced the gun! no charge! didn't even ask any questions! hell they gave him a free mag to boot!

second time, guy took his c9 all the way apart, (i thing the manual even says dont do that), but as he was re assembeling the gun, he put the firing pin in backwards, fired one shot, and locked up the slide, we sent it back for him, they fixed the gun, gave him 2 free mags, and wrote him an apology letter for designing a part that that could happen on, and redesigned the part! (remember not beemillers fault!)

hi points get a lot of undeserved crap!, mostly from gun snobs!(you know the type, 511 pants,desert tan morale patch hats, glock gen 4-40s&W in a blackhawk serpa) the type that think that if you cant afford to spend 5-600 bucks on a gun, dont buy a gun!, but let me tell you, hi points are good, reliable, they shoot all day long, anything you put in them!, i dont have one, but i wouldn't hesitate to!, in fact i almost bought a used one just to keep under the front seat of my car!

i've never seen one come back that couldnt shoot!...but i've seen kimber/glock/s&w's all come back!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Don't own one (yet), but I certainly wouldn't have any issue purchasing one at the right price. As many have commented Hi Points are quite reliable and have one of the best warranties in the business. Are they Pretty? Nope, but you aren't paying a lot for the polish, fit and finish. For that matter neither is a true 1911 from WW2, but both the Hi Point and the 1911 will certainly do the job.

My son and I have a fairly extensive firearm collection with Colts, Smiths, Kimber, Winchesters, Remington's, Springfield's, Marlins, etc.. We also have some Cobra's, Jennings, Davis (inexpensive firearms). Although some of the inexpensive firearms did require some very minor "tweaking" (polishing ramps / parts etc.), all work VERY well. I would certainly not be afraid to depend on any of the firearms we own to defend my life.

If you are a newby, I would not recommend purchasing a Jennings, Davis or some of the other inexpensive handguns as they may require some tweaking to make fully reliable. But if you are able to analyze and do minor tuning (also have found mag issues that require adjusting the lips to feed reliably) they really can be a great buy. From what I have read and heard the Hi Point rarely requires any tweaking and if it does it is best to send back to the manufacturer. I dislike those that say that all firearms (but what they have purchased) are junk. Guess they just have to prove how "smart" they are for purchasing XXX guns!

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I would like to get one of their carbines.....I have heard nothing but good about them and their customer service if it's needed....

I picked up an unconverted 995 last year for $100. I went to the HiPoint website and purchase the "Tactical Stock" and converted it. Now I have a 995TS that sells for 3x the price. The carbine works perfectly.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom