• ...and so much more!
  • DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    DelMar:
    1) I have shot the old style carbine and held the new one. The one I shot was a good shooter and the ownere was very happy with it. Old or new, they are ugly to my tastes.

2) Yes, Delmar, I have shot several Hipoint pistols to include the .45. They ARE heavy. To ME they are ugly. I had some FTF/FTE problems with some of the Hipoints I tried, others ran just fine. If yours runs perfect and fits your hand well, "you're a daisy"!

3) I think the OP has to shoot the model he is contemplating to see if his experience is the same. I love a HiPower or GLock and others don't like the way they feel. Get a gun that feels right in your hand.

4) If you have shopped SMart, Ash will be proud of you and the Necronomicon will be safe!

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I bought a C9 at the Muncie gun show today for $100.

It looks really clean. I've cycled it a bunch, it feeds, it ejects.

If it works. A great deal for $100. If not, I'll send it to Hi-Point.

tim46311

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    Lake county ,Indiana
    I like your thoughts on this. I am new ,never had a gun in my life. Want to own and carry. Reading this thread learning alot. Have been going over everything that i can find on Highpoint handguns. I know i can't afford an expensive hand gun but still want to have some protection. To me being new to all of this ***, i am getting really confused.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    A relative has a hi-point .45 pistol (he even says he would never cary it due to its size).......... was not a fan when I saw what it took to pull the slide........... Pretty much a hammer/mallet and center punch.

Are the better then nothing? Yes, would I personally bet my life on one? No.

Last edited:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I like your thoughts on this. I am new ,never had a gun in my life. Want to own and carry. Reading this thread learning alot. Have been going over everything that i can find on Hi-point handguns. I know i can't afford an expensive hand gun but still want to have some protection. To me being new to all of this ***, i am getting really confused.

A Hi-Point is not a good carry gun. Its a brick. You want to carry a brick on your hip?

They're reliable. They're simple. They're fun. They go bang. But round count for the weight knocks them way down.

You can find a new good quality 9mm (albeit with a heavy trigger) for under $300. Start there.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    I like your thoughts on this. I am new ,never had a gun in my life. Want to own and carry. Reading this thread learning alot. Have been going over everything that i can find on Highpoint handguns. I know i can't afford an expensive hand gun but still want to have some protection. To me being new to all of this ***, i am getting really confused.

DO NOT BUY A HIGHPOINT as your first gun. I'm telling you from experience ;). After the first time you shoot it, you'll more than likely want something else. Look into Ruger or S&W if you can.....but if all else fails, I suppose it IS better than nothing :dunno:

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Never shot their handguns but after handling them several times I'd rather carry somethig else. My dad ha a carbine and sold it. I really wish he didn't, that thing was tons of fun!

desmodue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Peru, IN
    I have no interest in buying a Hi Point, the only reason I read the post was because it keeps rotating to the top, so I figured it must be interesting.

I do not understand why some people get so emotionally attached to an opinion. Oh well, here is my own worthless ditribe on Hi Point guns (that I have never owned or shot)

Buy one or don't, it won't change your life one way or the other. If you like it keep it, if you don't like, it seems that there is plenty of interest in them, you should be able to sell it and only lose a few bucks or maybe break even.

As a side observation, beauty (or lack of) is a concept, it is impossible to measure. With that in mind, I do find it amusing that many of the people that slam the Hi Point because it is so damn ugly, own Glocks. YMMV.

patandhisruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    IndyB- no reason to be a ===) about it..i was just giving my opinion and a host of firearms he could look into...if he wants a hi point then great, i was just trying to broaden the discussion..

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    IndyB- no reason to be a ===) about it..i was just giving my opinion and a host of firearms he could look into...if he wants a hi point then great, i was just trying to broaden the discussion..

Wow!

Almost 3 months later and you chime back in, in case you forgot, the original poster said this:
    Ok so i'm in the market for a cheaper pistol, and I've seen brand new hi point .40's for as low as $160 dollars. I have personally never shot one, but when I read reviews it seems like every owner loves them. So I'm just curious as to what makes them "complete crap" like so many people seem to say. It's really looking like I'll end up buying one, so I figured I'd get some input first.

And please don't tell me to save up a lot more money and buy a better handgun. NOt interested :D

So from his original post it shows that he's not interested in you broadening the discussion because he was looking for input about Hi-Points, so it looks like you never had or shot one but you still want to chime in with your :twocents:'s about something you've never owned.

This just kills me. never ending.

Oh btw, it's IndyBeerman, not IndyB:D

I hope Kase has bought a Hi-Point shot a thousand rounds through it and has a :poop: eating grin on his face.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I have a .40 Hi point pistol. I like it for the most part. Have found that it dont like cheap ammo that much. Buy the good stuff shoots like a dream. But honestly would I like a higher end pistol "YES" who wouldnt. But money being as tight as it is, a hipoint is a hell of alot better than a STICK. I would love to have a chrome plated .50cal desert eagle(my dream hand gun) stapped to my hip. (Probably wouldnt even have to shoot it, Less likely to be messed with when you have a howitzer strapped to ur leg:rockwoot:) So the main thing is if you like it and thats whay you can afford get it. Just break it in before carrying.:twocents:

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg

Want a good inexpensive handgun, get a Taurus PT-92. You can pick one up used under $300. They come with a lifetime transferable warranty. They were built off the Beretta 92FS platform. If you do buy one, buy one without the rail unless you are planning on using a leather or nylon holster. The molded holsters are hard to come by for the railed models.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I like your thoughts on this. I am new ,never had a gun in my life. Want to own and carry. Reading this thread learning a lot. Have been going over everything that i can find on Highpoint handguns. I know i can't afford an expensive hand gun but still want to have some protection. To me being new to all of this ***, i am getting really confused.
    Tim
    I love my Hi Points, but not everybody does. So instead of talking about Hi Points, let's talk about Tim, and find out what he wants in a weapon.

You say you want to carry, are you talking concealed carry? If so, most Hi Point lovers will tell you a Hi Point pistol is not the best choice, because they are sort of heavy.

Are you willing to spend a little time "breaking in" your new handgun, or will you demand that unless it functions flawlessly right out of the box, it is a piece of junk? Mine did function flawlessly the first time I went to the range, but I did a few "break in" things before I went to the range, that other Hi Point owners suggested.(I loaded the magazine for a week before I fired it. also I only loaded 7 rounds in a 9 round magazine for the first hundred rounds or so.)

Are you mechanically inclined. If not a revolver may be a better choice for you than any semi automatic handgun.

Is your primary reason for getting a weapon home defense? If so, a good used pump action shotgun is more bang for the buck than any handgun! I had friends that tried to tell me this before I bought my Hi Point, but I thought that shooting a pistol was plain cooler than shooting a shot gun. I changed my mind on this as soon as I fired a 12 ga and found out how much easier it is to hit what you aim at with one.

Last edited:

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Want a good inexpensive handgun, get a Taurus PT-92. You can pick one up used under $300. They come with a lifetime transferable warranty. They were built off the Beretta 92FS platform. If you do buy one, buy one without the rail unless you are planning on using a leather or nylon holster. The molded holsters are hard to come by for the railed models.
    Nothing wrong with a Taurus PT-92 but for $317, I bought a Hi Point .45 plus a good used 12 ga

tim46311

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    Lake county ,Indiana
    Delmar
    Well i spent some time on the HP forum and other places and did alot of reading. I went to the Crown Point gun show yesterday. I found a dealer dealing with HP and looked at them. I explained to the dealer that i had surgery on my hands and wrists and bad Arthritis in them. I was looking at the 45ACP and he asked if i wanted to carry and had a permit. I told him yes and he said ok First the 45 will be good for open carry but hard to conceal and also since it is my first maybe look cheaper yet and look at the 9 or 380. I picked up the 380 and my pinky hung off. He said here put a clip in it see how it feels. I did and it felt good. I bought it. I asked him about the stories i have heard and he opened up the box, took the gun out and looked it over and checked the barrel and all. He said do you have a range to go to. I said yes we were planning to go out to WS today. He grabbed 2 boxes of Blazzer Brass ammunition and said go have fun*** he added from strait out of the box with no cleaning. I did and put 50 rnds thru it. No hick-ups in any way. I also have a 16 guage pump for added protection at the house. Just learning to break the 380 down will take some reading,videos ,and patients. Added some pics to my album :rockwoot:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom