• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    I just bought a new walther p22 for the fiance to plink with (she insisted on the one with the blue frame :rolleyes:) anyway, we bought it and went outside as the gun shop has its own range. It was brand new and I expected a few hiccups, but i went through fifty rounds and I could only, at the most, get about 3 rounds between fte's or ftf's? Would a good cleaning before the range session have helped? I think(hope) that a cleaning will resolve these issues. I guess what i am asking is, IS THIS NORMAL? btw we were using cci mini mags, so I don't believe the ammo was the problem.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Yes there are many threads here about this. I did the same thing with mine. Straight from the gunshow to range and many problems. Took it home cleaned it up, lubed it and it has been a great gun that eats all the bulk ammo I throw at it. Don't be discouraged with it, it just needs some love. :)

Last edited:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    The P22 just takes some time to break in.
    when I bought a P22 I was more than just frustrated with it but after a few range trips she started acting like she should and all was well. give her a good cleaning and lube her up. Ive sold my P22 but only because I had to....they are fun little guns...enjoy!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My P22 was very particular about what ammo it liked for the first 500 rounds. There was some that would not work at all, and if I remember correctly, it was the either Spitfire or Thunderbolt branded stuff. It did like the CCI Mini-Mags and never had an issue with those. After about 500 rounds, I went back to the bulk Federal stuff and it shoots it just fine now. They are great little guns.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Mine was fine out of the box but I did find it didn't like the bulk Winchester ammo. Great for teaching malfunctions! :rolleyes: But the Federal and CCI shoot fine. Most manuals recommend cleaning before firing. Not sure if the P22 does or not but it's a good idea. Also, I run my semi's really wet (Rem Oil) for the first few hundred rounds to break them in. Then the four point method with a good slide grease works well for me with no excess oils.

Good luck! They are fun guns.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've heard lots of reports like that. I must be one of the lucky ones as my P22 has always eaten anything I've fed it, even during break-in.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Good cleaning...yes.

And break it in with some "high velocity" ammo like CCI Stingers.

-J-

here's a funny thing, my P22 HATES the hot ammo, CCI Stingers and Velocitors refuse to work in mine, I switched to the Remington Thunderbolt and the federal bulk and it trips along fine,

Moral of this story, head to the range with about 5 different brands a cleaning kit and some patience.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I purchased a P22 combo kit with a suppressor. Couldn't pass it up for $599. The gun jammed consistently, no matter what ammo I put in it. I cleaned it, lubed it, asked it nicely... nothing I did would make it fire a full mag without a jam. In the end, I just dumped the pistol. Real shame too. Never worked properly, out of the box. Very frustrating.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Started mine on Stingers and Mini-mags. About 200 rounds or so. New, it failed to feed about once per mag. Now, it feeds bulk stuff (Remington high-velocity) just fine. No failures in a few hundred rounds so far.

I also stripped, cleaned, and lubed after each trip to the range. Now it just gets a quick bore-snake and wipe down.

Fun little gun!

hc4sar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    cent IN.
    mine -P-22 ran rough ,it failed at everything, for about 100 hard fought rounds. then after a good cleaning and oiling it started running like a sewing machine. and for my own reasons i pulled a shoot until it quits without cleaning just to see how far it would go. i gave up after 850 rounds. not recomended but i just wanted to know. :ingo:

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    So I finally got around to field stripping the P-22 and man oh man. That is the strangest recoil spring ever! I spent the better part of an hour trying to reassemble the dang thing before I realized there was a little gizmo to stick inside the recoil spring to make it go where you want. The manual was of absolutely no help. I'm looking forward to getting back to the range and making sure that a good cleaning and some lube will make this thing work!

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    so just got back from the range today. This time went much better, but we are nost quite there yet. I switched up my ammo, and get this: that p22 won't feed cci mini mags for anything! I switched to my bulk remington and winchester and it worked much better. I am down to about one jam/magazine now. I am confident that after another cleaning and feeding her what she likes, I will have a nice little plinker. Additionally, this has provided me with an opportunity to teach my fiance how to clear a failure.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So I finally got around to field stripping the P-22 and man oh man. That is the strangest recoil spring ever! I spent the better part of an hour trying to reassemble the dang thing before I realized there was a little gizmo to stick inside the recoil spring to make it go where you want. The manual was of absolutely no help. I'm looking forward to getting back to the range and making sure that a good cleaning and some lube will make this thing work!

I lost my little gizmo recently. I didn't know it until *after* I had taken it apart.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana

I lost my little gizmo recently. I didn't know it until *after* I had taken it apart.

I bought mine from an INGO member and it didn't have the little gizmo either. BOY did I get a surprise the first time I attempted to reassemble the d@mn thing. It took me longer to reassemble the slide to the frame than it took me to disassemble, clean and lube the thing! :xmad: You would think with a name like Walther it wouldn't be as primative as using a stick to reassemble a firearm. :n00b:

Greg

dmpxd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    I bought mine in march of 2006 have about 4,000 rounds throught it. Anything from CCI mini's, remington bulk (lead), and federal bulk I have never had an issue. I remember 1 FTE, due to limp wristing. However I was attempting a drill and just didn't know what I should be doing. This is interesting to here this kind of info. I would say my biggest complaint is how nasty the barrel use to get after those remington lead round went down the pipe. I used to scrub the heck out of it. Matter of fact this was my first fire arm purchase on my own, from Darrels custom firearms in Cayuga!!!

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I have owned two Walther P-22s now. The first one was an '04 manufacture, and the second one i purchased new just a few months ago.

Both of mine have functioned very very well for me. The first one was stock, but I gave it a good cleaning and re-lube before I ever shot it. The second one I did the "P22 Bible" mods on before I ever fired it, and It is has not failed yet in 500 rounds.

Top Bottom