• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Seeing as its deer season I was thinking this might be helpful to some. I am no professional, and still doing my first one. Already I made a couple mistakes, and thought I'd share them here.

1: Fleshing- Be prepared for elbow grease. Some say a somewhat dull object is better than a sharper one. I found it easiest to use a knife for this part, after trying multiple scraping items like spoons, sheet metal I shaped, paint scrapers, etc. A drawknife or knife that can be drawn easily would work as that's what I ended up doing with my knife. However with a sharp knife you stand a much better chance of cutting the hide so be careful. Remove meat until you see indentations of blood vessels, then you've removed the membrane.
    I left a couple small pieces of meat on the edges to see what would happen later.

2: Salting: A variety of things can be used here, I used salt and borax. The purpose of this is to help wick moisture out of the hide and helps to keep bugs off as well as bacteria. Liberally cover them, I skimped at first not thinking about it. Within a few hours I noticed something odd, a slightly off smell. So I took it down and salted again, this time covering it about 1\4 inch thick with salt and borax. This seemed to work as the smell left and has yet to return.
    Remember those pieces of meat I mentioned, don't leave any on during the fleshing process, this stuff turns black and rock solid. I just cut those pieces off so I lost a few inches of hide in doing so. After salting be prepared for lots of dripping as the blood and water seeps from the hide.

3: Washing/drying: All that dripping caused the fur on the lowest parts to get all nasty, so I mixed up a bit of diluted dish liquid in water and washed the nasty off the lower sections of fur and dried with a hair dryer. That worked but now I had to get the layer of salt and borax off before drying it. After many scraping items I found a metal paint scraper worked best. After removing that I had to finish drying the hide.
    Here is where things were really wanting to go south. I was so worried about bugs that I didnt want it outside, silly I know. But I read horror stories about bugs outdoors and thought I would try the garage. Big mistake. Apparently I didn't dry some of it good enough with the hair dryer because after about 36hrs. I noticed a section that didn't want to dry at all. I also noticed how slow the rest was drying and got worried about mold and put it out in the sun first chance I got.
    After watching for bugs, still nothing and now the hide is almost dry completely after about a full day in the sun. However I lost a little more on the lower left and an inch or two on the neck where I didn't have it tacked completely flat. Thankfully this didn't really affect the hides overall shape too much, just a little uneven.

That's it for now, I hope to start the braining process next week. So hopefully I don't mess up too bad there, if I do I'll probably share those as well if anyone's interested.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I was doing a little reading about tanning earlier this week because I'd like to preserve a couple of coyote hides if I can get nice ones this year. I think it's a little too involved for the amount of time I have available so I'll probably send it off.

Rock River

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indy/Morgan county
    Looking forward to an update and some pics on this thread.

Phylo - seeing the coyote in your thread got me wanting to tan as well. Did it when I was young and always wanted a nice coyote pelt. Yours was a nice looking one.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    After trying to tan hides since my Colorado days, I learned an easy way: Buy them at Friendship or yard sales. I just bought ten garment-grade tanned deer hides for $30 (total price) a month ago. However, I used to do very well with rattlesnake skins, in my Arizona days.

That being said, I may try it again in the future just so I don't go to my grave being whooped by a craft that is eons old. I have read that Sioux women did the tanning, part of which was done by urinating on it, then later chewing the hide to make it soft. I think I'll pass on those parts.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Check out "Deerskins into buckskins" by Matt Richards.. About the best guide for all natural tanning you can get and you can pick it up for $10-12. Will save you lots of time and ruined hides.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    It is a pretty labor intensive process, and certainly requires time. A small hide like a coyote wouldn't be too bad if it was a fresh kill, a fleshing beam; which I didn't have, would make fleshing go pretty fast. So far the process is certainly fun and pretty simple in concept.

I could see how for some it'd be better to just buy them or have it done professionally, though it's a valuable skill to have and know.

I've never heard of urinating on a hide to tan it, to my knowledge the brain is what does the tanning. So you can certainly skip that part. I do know old women chewed sinew to prepare it for the loom or for sewing. However softening the hide was done frequently by pulling over a tree limb, tugging back and forth by hand until it was the desired softness.

Ill try to get some pics up in a few days after the braining process. BTW deer brains are really hard to remove with just a rock, I tried quartz and granite. Ended up using a hacksaw and a spoon.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Phylo - seeing the coyote in your thread got me wanting to tan as well. Did it when I was young and always wanted a nice coyote pelt. Yours was a nice looking one.

She had a nice coat, the nicest I've seen up close anyway. I'm at the farm and they're howling not 200 yards from me, on the side of the hill in the pasture. If I had my rifle and NV I'd be pushing another one over, fortunately for them my rifle is undergoing minor surgery. They'd do well to avoid a repeat of this evening's performance next time I'm here.

If I do get another nice one I think I'll contact Hoosier Trapper Supply and see what they charge to tan a hide.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I'm with Phylo on this one... Interesting to do possibly but not enough time...

Looking forward to your pics and results.

:ingo:

Last edited:

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Here are some pics of the hide after the first stage of the process.

deerhide_zpsblt2impl.png

Here's the flesh side, completely dry. You may be able to see some of the holes on the edges where the hide was rather thin and I put some nicks in them. Be careful if using a sharp knife for fleshing.

deerhide5_zpsreu8d6jn.png

Here you can see the thin spots in her hide. The fur is really soft, go figure for a young doe.

deerhide1_zpsffjw9vxy.png

Here's where the hide pulled out from a nail as it dried and turned to rawhide. It actually popped out in a couple spots, so I could see why tying is a better option than nailing, or tacking.

If things go according to plan I'll be braining tomorrow. I'll share some pics when I'm a little closer to being done with that.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The only deer hide that I ever tanned, I used alum to tan it, after soaking in lime to make the fur slip.

After a lot of "staking" as it dried, I had a very soft, supple white hide.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    The only deer hide that I ever tanned, I used alum to tan it, after soaking in lime to make the fur slip.

After a lot of "staking" as it dried, I had a very soft, supple white hide.

I thought about using alum but wanted to use the brain to minimize waste. I hear alum tanning simulates brain tanning, as that's what my Pawnee friends use to tan cow hides when they don't have the brain from it. Also lye will make hair slip and so will the brain.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Ok... A little overdue but here is the finished hide, a lot of tugging back and forth, combing the fur, and smearing in brains. I've yet to smoke the hide, but will sometime in the near future. I made some mistakes, (was expected), but nothing that ruined the hide completely. It is definitely not perfect, and not garment grade softness yet but that's okay. I plan on using it as a wall hanger or ground cover. The biggest mistake I made was moistening the hide before braining OUTSIDE. The wind dried it up so fast, that in some spots the brain did not want to penetrate as easily.

The next mistake I made, which wasn't a real big deal, just added a little more elbow grease, was leaving small chunks of brain. I thought, no big deal. Well, again it needed scraped off though fortunately the tree outside my house worked pretty well for that. For the softening I used the same tree, however make sure you clean it off, otherwise you will get dirt everywhere on the hide. I missed some and ended up with a streak on the flesh side from the tree, again not a big deal for me as I plan on using this for a ground cover or wall hanger. After all that was done the fur got a final wash and sun dried for a whole day.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I tried posting pictures, tried posting links, tried editing my post, can't do any. I'll try again later:(

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    deerhide7_zps6jbekvpp.png

Idk what I did wrong yesterday? Oh well. Here's a closeup picture of the fur after the final cleaning.

deerhide8_zpsvlol8upg.png

It cleaned up really well, I used a fine tooth comb and diluted Dead Down Wind hair and body soap, worked wonders!

deerhide6_zpsswnh0ngk.png

Here's the hide after smearing and rubbing in the brain solution. You can see the solution on the right hand side.

deerhide9_zpsdsccnavc.png

And here's the hide after softening and tugging across a tree. Here you can see some of the streaks left by said tree.

Top Bottom