• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    California and other states have bans on high capacity magazines which brings me to something I've always wondered...

Why doesn't magpul make a 458 Socom magazine?

Ahap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2022
    Evansville
    Because the .458 was designed to fit and feed from standard .223/5.56 mags. I have mine "half mooned" to insure smooth feeding. Some say you don't even need to do it. I think Wilson is the only mfg that makes proprietary .458 mags. Tromix makes a center feed follower you can put in standard mags, but it costs more than most mags themselves.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Exactly my point. 30 round magazines are evil, but 10 round is okay. Since a standard ar mag can hold 10 rounds of 458 socom, why not label it that? Then people in certain states wouldn't own high capacity magazines. Of course, what they choose to load in them is a different story...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Exactly my point. 30 round magazines are evil, but 10 round is okay. Since a standard ar mag can hold 10 rounds of 458 socom, why not label it that? Then people in certain states wouldn't own high capacity magazines. Of course, what they choose to load in them is a different story...
    When .458 socom first came out this was exactly our point. “They only hold 10 rounds.” Several threads here that talked about this.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Same goes for .50 beowulf. A few mfrs do make proprietary mags and I'll be darned if I can tell any difference but the label.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I hope they don't decide to come after my 8-shot, high capacty revolvers next. I didn't use purple because this is not really sarcasm. After they try to ban the usual suspects, they will come after shotguns and whatever other "dangerous" guns they find out about.

I remember hearing about an article in Rolling Stone from about 8 years ago: The 5 Most Dangerous Guns in America. The link is below, but the list is: Pistols, Revolvers, Rifles, Shotguns, and Derringers. This shows what they are really after; ALL OUR GUNS!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've got high cap magazines and don't think there should be restriction on them. That said, I don't have a lot of them simply because I don't see any firefight I'm going to be involved in lasting that long. I'll be a casualty or the attackers will give up before the mags are empty. I can reload them if I'm lucky or it won't matter.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I've got high cap magazines and don't think there should be restriction on them. That said, I don't have a lot of them simply because I don't see any firefight I'm going to be involved in lasting that long. I'll be a casualty or the attackers will give up before the mags are empty. I can reload them if I'm lucky or it won't matter.
    Practically speaking I think you're right. If the word deteriorates so far I'm worried about how many 30 round mags I can carry I'll probably have so many more concerns it's ridiculous.

Having said that, If I find a good deal I will always take another.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The biggest problem I see is the number of people falling into the liberal's trap by calling a 30-round magazine a 'high-capacity' magazine because 'high-capacity' a made-up liberal term that's designed to change the narrative.
    The AR-15 30-round magazine is a 'standard-capacity' magazine, not a 'high-capacity' magazine!
    The best thing that can be done is to refer to the 30-round magazine as a 'standard-capacity' magazine every time it's mentioned...keeping the perspective and the narrative honest and correct.
    In dealing with various issues, simply using correct verbage (aka, calling a 30-round magazine a 'standard-capacity' magazine when referring to it vs calling it a 'high-capacity magazine) matters in both keeping the issues honest and truthful, and it also creates the correct perspective or narrative.
    Using the term 'high capacity' creates a false perspective or narrative...and feeds the bears!

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My magazines are not all for me.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...I have mine "half mooned" to insure smooth feeding. Some say you don't even need to do it...
    I didn't.

Shoot .458s through P-Mags, Lancers, USGIs, etc. All have fed fine. BUT, I only shoot one round through my .458s, home rolled and topped with 300 grain Hornady HPs.

So I guess ALL my AR mags "identify" as 10 round .458 mags.:D

Top Bottom