• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leomort

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    Hello Everyone,

My first post here on IN gunowners. I'm originally from Pennsylvania where we could use high power rifles for hunting. Now that I've moved to Indiana which doesn't allow high power rifles for deer hunting. My rifle in question is a left handed Ruger Hawkeye in 308Win.

My question to fellow Hoosiers, is do you guys even bother owning high power rifles?

Finding a sportsman club with a rifle range has proven challenging but I found one. Otherwise, I'd have to drive to Atterbury.

Question 2, since I can't really hunting with it, and my opportunities to use my 308Win seem limited, should I keep it? Or sell and use the proceeds to buy a legal rifle for hunting. I'll note that I don't care for slug guns. We had to use them in Allegheny county (Pittsburgh) due to population density constraints and did not care for the recoil.

Appreciate any feedback and help you can give this transplant!

Regards,

Leo

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Only you can answer your question. Can you afford to buy another gun without selling your current one? Are you against having a gun you aren't going to use regularly?

Me, I don't see myself selling any of my guns, ever. :):

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    First, welcome to Indiana and to INGO.

Second, while at the end of the day I can't make your mind up for you, here are my thoughts (filtered through the lense of a non-hunter's perspective):

1. Left-handed rifles don't exactly grow on trees so if you sell it you are probably going to be buying brand new if you later decide you made the wrong decision.

2. There has been an ongoing push in Indiana which has been eroding the limitations on deer hunting guns. We started off limited to slug guns, handguns, or archery. Then it was expanded to include rifles with certain caliber restrictions. If I am not mistaken this was a two-step process to get where we are now. The push is still on to expand to more rifle-appropriate calibers and I see no reason to believe that this will not happen sooner or later.

3. Knowing nothing of your financial condition, I cannot really address the issue of selling to fund your new deer rifle. My suggestion is that you not sell for this purpose unless you really need to do so, but on the other hand if it is one or the other but not both, it would be hard to argue keeping a rifle you cannot use in the hopes that maybe some day you will be able to do so.

4. As for the rest of us, there are a lot of 'high-powered' rifles in circulation among us for a wide variety of purposes. You know how it is--ask 5 different people and you are going to get at least 6 different reasons for doing or having something.

I wish you the best in your time with us in Indiana and whatever you do while you are here!

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    There was a proposed deer hunting rule change that would have made just about anything larger than .22 cal legal in Indiana. But that was not approved but perhaps it will be. But deer hunting is the only thing affected by that. You can hunt just about anything else in Indiana with whatever you like. In theory you could use .50 BMG for squirrel although that might be counterproductive to say the least.

I have a fairly large population of groundhogs, raccoons, and even the occasional coyote on my property and find that my .308 takes them pretty effectively. While I've not done it yet, I understand there is also good feral hog hunting in southern Indiana and the .308 works well there also.

I'd keep it especially if you like the gun.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Many moons ago when I moved here I got rid of all my centerfire rifles, well now I recently bought my second, 308 rifle. It is true ranges are hard to find, but I make it out at least 5 times a year to shoot 300 yards, it's heck of a time. To me driving hour plus to a range at least five time a year is worth it.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I own and shoot, a .308 bolt action rifle, as well as an AR-15, in 5.56/.223, and have no intention of selling either one .....

I hunt with a 12 ga shotgun, .44 Mag., handgun and lever rifle .....

Like posted above, no one here can make up your mind, or knows your finances.....

Welcome to INDIANA, and INGO !!!!!

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Welcome to INGO!

So so tell us about all those people who die every year in PA from the rifle rounds flying around. Cause people, especially bow hunters here in IN, are convinced that is what would happen here.

I own a .308, and I spend more time shooting that than anything, outside of my carry pistol. Eventually the cavemen will come around on the centerfire thing and I'll hunt with that rifle (possibly), or more likely with the .243. Besides, it's an excuse to own more guns, woohoo!

packard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Like you, I came to Indiana with an assortment of "high powered" rifles that were not legal for hunting deer. Bought a Inline muzzle loader (Savage 10ML) and that works well, But I wanted something that carried a few more rounds. I have a Marlin 1895 GS 45-70 that I like, although not legal, so I bought a Marlin 1894 44 Mag that is legal. The 1894 works very well.

You must keep in mind that pistol cartridge rifles are not long range shooters. Some guys can do better, but 125 yds is the practical limit. Which is ok because getting a shot beyond 100 yds is rare, at least where I hunt.

Good luck with what ever you do, and welcome to the forum.

leomort

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    Thank you for everyone who replied so far.

Some more information. I like my 308win Ruger Hawkeye. As IndyDave1776 pointed out, left hand rifles are difficult to find.

Financially, I don't need to sell the 308win to purchase another firearm.

I also have a left hand 223rem Ruger Hawkeye so I'm set on varmints/predators hunting if I choose :)

I have a 357mag revolver. Now, you have me pondering a 357mag lever action revolver as a companion. I'm just not sure of the 357mag as deer round? I reload, so perhaps handload 180 XTP-HP and keep range to 75yards & under?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Hay Leo--WELCOME to INGO....

Welcome to the State of Indiana, and to INGO.. You will find plenty of info here, and a FEW friends..HA HA....

As to your Deer hunting, if your .357 Mag. revolver is 4" or longer barrel, you are good-to-go as far as a Deer hunting firearm.

It was mentioned up thread that a member could not use his 45-70 for Deer in Indiana...Well....

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...47012-45-70-deer-legal-round-development.html

^^^As you can see, sometimes you just do what you have to do..HA HA...

Again--WELCOME to INGO....Bill.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Welcome.
    Keep your rifles if you can afford to. Hopefully one day, you will be allowed to use them here on deer.
    As stated, you can hunt just about anything BESIDES deer with them. We have stupid laws regarding that. Its legal to use a .308 handgun, but not rifle for deer (which is a different thread all together).

As far as loading the 357 for deer, range will be your deciding factor. Where I hunt, you don't get shots over 100 yards due to the woods being so thick, so the 357 would be fine.
    Other areas of the state with large ag fields, routinely get shots triple that range or more.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I have hunted with a TC rifle in 357 Maximum and been very happy with it. Since I shoot handgun silhouette with targets out to 200 meters, the 357 is very capable whether in the woods or across a small field. I use the Hornady 180 XTP exlusively, always good results.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Welcome to Indiana, I too moved here from PA. I kept all my center fire rifles and even bought more but I also go back to PA every year for deer season. I also shoot left handed bolt action rifles as I am left eye dominate. I was really hoping that the proposed center fire regulations would pass. I mainly use a 44 mag lever action. I have taken shots out to 100 yards and it has been pretty accurate. You could look at getting your 308 converted to the 358 Hoosier round and then reload your own rounds. I know that when I inquired about it, they recommended a savage or a Remington short action and it was an estimated $600 to convert the rifle to 358. That round is an accurate 200 yard round. I always held off due to believing that the center fire proposal was going to pass.

I personally would not sell your 308 as you may deer hunt in another state where it is legal or go hunt elk or hogs one day.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Welcome.
    Keep your rifles if you can afford to. Hopefully one day, you will be allowed to use them here on deer.
    As stated, you can hunt just about anything BESIDES deer with them. We have stupid laws regarding that. Its legal to use a .308 handgun, but not rifle for deer (which is a different thread all together).

As far as loading the 357 for deer, range will be your deciding factor. Where I hunt, you don't get shots over 100 yards due to the woods being so thick, so the 357 would be fine.
    Other areas of the state with large ag fields, routinely get shots triple that range or more.

This is Indiana. Foolishness will lose out, once we've exhausted all the foolish ways to do things.

I'd keep the .308 if you can. Eventually our ignorant makers of rules-for-the-proles will figure out that lethality does not magically begin or end at diameters above .356 and cartridge case lengths between 1.16 and 1.8 inches.

I suspect that the stupid firearm laws have to do with bowhunter lobbying, but that's just speculation on my part.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Hohn, not bowhunters but basically three categories of people, uneducated hunters, uneducated non hunters, and those hunters that think that it would create a mass amount of new hunters who don't know how to shoot. Some of these people were against allowing cross bows during regular bow season which did not have a negative effect.

I bow hunt but was very much for the use of center fires. I heard too many hunters who believe all the wild tales of hunting with high powered rifles.

leomort

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    I'll keep my 308win rifle then, thanks for the feedback. I don't think I'll convert it as I could use that money to buy another rifle. So it looks like a pistol cartridge lever action is in my future then. Lever actions seem very southpaw/left handed friendly. Fellow southpaw input regarding lever action friendliness?

I don't know much about lever action rifles. Marlin has their 1894 series. I seen Rossi 92's but they seem to get mixed reviews. Does Winchester still make their 94s in 357 and 44mag?

I seen Henry Big Boys which are gorgeous with butter smooth action but fairly heavy. I'm not sure how I feel about tube fed loading as opposed to gate loading? Also the Henry Big Boy uses 1:38 twist for the 44mag which seems kind of slow. Not sure about 357mag

So that makes four lever actions: Marlin, Winchester, Rossi, and Henry. Did I leave any out?

Any recommendations of those four? Or other brand I left out?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'll keep my 308win rifle then, thanks for the feedback. I don't think I'll convert it as I could use that money to buy another rifle. So it looks like a pistol cartridge lever action is in my future then. Lever actions seem very southpaw/left handed friendly. Fellow southpaw input regarding lever action friendliness?

I don't know much about lever action rifles. Marlin has their 1894 series. I seen Rossi 92's but they seem to get mixed reviews. Does Winchester still make their 94s in 357 and 44mag?

I seen Henry Big Boys which are gorgeous with butter smooth action but fairly heavy. I'm not sure how I feel about tube fed loading as opposed to gate loading? Also the Henry Big Boy uses 1:38 twist for the 44mag which seems kind of slow. Not sure about 357mag

So that makes four lever actions: Marlin, Winchester, Rossi, and Henry. Did I leave any out?

Any recommendations of those four? Or other brand I left out?

About the Henry...their mode of loading makes it much easier to unload. I also have to speak highly of Anthony Imperato who owns the company. Having been in contact with him (initiated by sending him the link to a thread here regarding his product) I was very impressed. He really is a great person who operates a family business.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I use a marlin in the 44 mag and love it. The recoil is less than a 30-30. It is pretty smooth for me but I never used a Henry. One reason I bought it was because I also have a Browning lever action in 308 and it is my favorite rifle. I put a Leupold VX1 3-9 scope on my marlin. Ruger use to have a semi auto 44.

Top Bottom