Higher than usual cracking attempts this month?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone else with persistent Internet seeing a higher than usual rate of cracking attempts this month?

I have Linux and I'm seeing my /var/log/btmp (failed logins) file ballooning to over 600 MB for the month of January alone. Dozens of failed attempts from single IP addresses a second for several minutes. Then, a little while later, it starts doing it again. Sometimes, it's a different IP address. There will always be the script kiddies. They just try a few and then bugger off. Makes no difference, other than I could use that disk space for more useful things. My successful logins (wtmp) file shows nothing getting in, but just the rapid fire and persistent attempts is eating my hard drive space. Thinking of getting my DSL modem a new IP address. Maybe get off these doorknobs' radar.

If you're running Linux, but are a novice, use the command `last` to check successful logins, `lastb` to check failed. Is it just me, or do more of you see this activity?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I wish I knew how to do this stuff. Can I get Linux on my Mac?

Your mac is UNIX. Open a console window and type the word last at the prompt and hit return.

ETA: you can use spotlight to do this. In spotlight type in Terminal to open the console.

Last edited:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Considering, I have SSH configured to refuse logins to root in the first damn place, I myself would know to never attempt such a foolish thing, I need to add a cron job to toss any IPs for root found in btmp into the iptables filters. That'll keep my btmp to a reasonable size.

No. I will not translate the above sentence for non-techies.

I'm going to bed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Considering, I have SSH configured to refuse logins to root in the first damn place, I myself would know to never attempt such a foolish thing, I need to add a cron job to toss any IPs for root found in btmp into the iptables filters. That'll keep my btmp to a reasonable size.

I'm going to bed.

That really made my head hurt......:faint:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Translation: Someone is trying to log on to the machine as root (aka administrator) and Cathy is going to filter out those login attempts and no longer see them in the logs.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN

I'm going to bed.

I use Fail2Ban. That does it very well and you can lock them out for as long as you want.

Shadow

AKA: Uncle Shadow
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows

I'm going to bed.

That really made my head hurt......:faint:

Translation: Someone is trying to log on to the machine as root (aka administrator) and Cathy is going to filter out those login attempts and no longer see them in the logs.

:wow: I have to agree with CM - that was just __________________ . Thank you pudly for clearing that mud up .
    Im not a tecky . But I have been seeing a lot of hacking going on , my email was hacked and sent out a email to all my contact -lol- asking to send $2000. cause I was in trouble , of course no one sent no money darn it ,but I did get a lot of phone calls hahahaha .. any ways it ended up being a hacker out of Chicago ,and I have seen changed my passwords and added protection

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    We a notice at work yesterday that some folks had got an e-mail from a .gov address (I work for the VA, don't hate) that said their password expired and to click here. Phishing is old, .gov address is new.

Top Bottom