• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Spent a few days down in north Georgia, decided to let the gps take us up to Knoxville Tenn. It led us onto highway 129 in North Carolina toward Tenn. I had never heard of this road --WOW!
    They claim eleven miles long, three hundred curves. Trust me you ain't got time to count them.
    Full size Tundra supercab, not exactly a road race machine, me grinnin, passengers screamin, whata hoot!
    I am just wondering if any body else has made this drive, there were hundreds of motorcycles making the run. Now I need to find a good stiff sport car and do it again.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Yeah, I did that same drive several years ago. I wasn't in a true sports car, but was driving a 2005 Grand Prix that handled well. That is a fun drive. I had kind of forgotten about that.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've driven through there a few times. Nothing will spook a squid more than a 3/4 ton Crew Cab swinging wide on those corners! My poor arms were worn out from man-handling my truck through there.

We've taken the little gravel road out of Cades Cove, picked up 129, and then North-West to the Foothills parkway and back around to Pigeon Forge for a nice long scenic drive.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I make it a destination every few years, but I always wait until the summer clouds have cleared and the fall foliage rolls in. Some great camping in the north and if you push into NC a ways there are some equally great but far less famous and crowded roads.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    While I have been down that way on the motorcycle and in the cager, I 've never made my way onto that particular piece of famous road. Hmmm... maybe someday. Maybe on the bike? I love that part of the country, and I can say without equivocation that the Smoky Mountains are beautiful from the saddle of a bike. (early morning, fog rising..)
    Now you guys got me thinkin'.........

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Last summer. My friend and I drove from IN to FL to visit some of his family and we were riding our bikes. We took 129 basically the whole way there. I love the Dragon Tail, it was a ton of fun and we plan on going back next summer

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I KNEW I had seen a thread on this recently.... just on another forum.

You're doing it wrong... - The Garage Journal Board
    First pic of 3 that open that thread:
    307419_10150268306362478_91283997477_7641238_5888678_n.jpg

Be careful out there!

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    eldirector... I almost had to lay down my bike down on the dragon tail because of a car that wasn't paying enough attention. Its a fun ride, but yes, it can be dangerous. I refuse to do any part of it at night.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I've taken both my supra and bikes (ninja/fzr750) there a few times. My dad lives outside of knoxville, so it was kinda local. Too many morons for my taste, though. Plus, there are better roads down there that aren't as crowded and chewed up.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    We have a customer at work who is just on the other side of the mountain on 129. They all laughed when I told them how I got there the first time.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Hubby and I rode it a few years ago on our bikes. Hubby said it made him dizzy. I enjoyed it, but it really wore me out, too. We did encounter some crazy riders, and a guy in a small group we talked to went down and sufferered some road rash. Friends of ours went down when a crotch rocket crossed center and plowed into their Harley. Beautiful scenery, we almost moved there.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Usually they're afraid to go after anybody riding in a group. Something to do with getting the hell beaten out of them by biker gangs. If you're a lone rider, or with a few guys, you'll get nailed.

iMac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    My dad and uncle did it on day on their bmw's I'd like to make the trip next time!

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I've ridden it several times over the years and it's something every rider should do.

That being said, there are other roads that are just as nice and not as crowded. US421 between Bristol and Mountain City and the Cherohala Skyway to name a couple.

Never had a problem with the cops but I stay on my side of the centerline. Some of the squids have trouble with that.

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    We saw one county sheriff sitting with one of the photo guys, that was the only leo we saw. The posted speed limit was 35mph, unless you really have some big ones, I doubt anyone could average much over that.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Got a Couple different rides that would be a heck of a lot of fun there. I have tossed around the idea with friends before and they all seem to like the idea but it never gets to a serious talk. Now that my daughter is here its a little harder to find time for a road trip....maybe one day.
    car2.jpg

600rr2.jpg

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Some friends of mine used to take that ride every year through the Dragons tail. They stopped doing it because back in 2005 one of them was killed in a wreck. GXR Hyabusa are really fast. I'm just glad I did not accompany them on that trip.

Top Bottom