• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I was riding the bus on my daily commute to IU this morning when I heard the bus driver contact dispatch and inform them that a man, who 10 minutes before at a previous stop before I got on had run in front of the bus trying to get the bus driver to let him on while yelling, swearing, and flipping the driver the bird, was about to get on at the next stop. He alerted dispatch that they may have to call the police if something went down and to be on alert. My ears perked up and I began preparing for this possible threat get on the bus. Unfortunately, due to IU's no carry policy and the fact that I'm 5 years into grad school with one year left and can't afford to get kicked out, I don't carry to/on campus. I do carry my Surefire light to at least have something solid to strike with. The guy got on and...nothing...thankfully.

The frustrating thing about situations like this is that IU's no carry policy takes away someone's primary defensive tool who relies on public transportation to get to campus and can't stash it in a car. I would rather be allowed to carry on campus simply to be able to carry TO campus on the bus than just to carry on campus. I know some will say, "it's not illegal! Just cover it up well!" I understand that and I've considered it various times. But I've done the cost-benefit analysis and concluded that I've invested too much time and energy (thankfully not too much money due to grad assistant funding :+1:) at this point to risk getting the boot. I teach classes and being in front of people so much makes it hard to carry without worrying about exposing a firearm with everyone constantly looking at me. Anyways, I thought I'd share that experience and frustration. Hopefully someday a campus carry bill gets passed in this state and many others!

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    It's not illegal to carry on their campus with a LTCH. If I were you I'd get something for very deep concealment, like Thunderwear, pocket holster for something tiny, or a Fanny pack. Might have to turn in your man card if you pick option 3 though :):

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm glad everybody behaved themselves. I know you didn't ask for advice but the best way to avoid a potential violent situation is to avoid the situation. I don't know that it would have occurred to me in the moment, and hind-sight is always 50/50, but if you were afraid of what this guy might do, you could have just gotten off the bus at that stop and remove yourself from the fray. :twocents:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    It's not illegal to carry on their campus with a LTCH. If I were you I'd get something for very deep concealment, like Thunderwear, pocket holster for something tiny, or a Fanny pack. Might have to turn in your man card if you pick option 3 though :):

It's not illegal to carry, but a student who is caught breaking the rules by carrying and gets expelled has a lot to lose. (Same for an employee, which is my particular situation and why I have decided it is better not to carry, even CC.) Of course it's a personal decision, but you have to weigh all of the benefits and risks.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Everyone has to choose their own priorities. Mine is my life. There are guns and ways to conceal completely. I understand your concerns with your education. I hope you can find the right compromise.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012

Haha, yeah I'll skip out on the fanny pack. Have you used Thunderwear yourself? Just curious how easy it is to access and whether there's an awkward bulge. The smallest gun I own is a Shield, which is fairly small but it's no pocket gun. I'll probably just stick out this last year. Summer's almost here anyway and I won't be riding nearly as much. This is probably the 2nd time in 5 years of riding the bus that I have felt like something could've gone down and thankfully didn't.

I'm glad everybody behaved themselves. I know you didn't ask for advice but the best way to avoid a potential violent situation is to avoid the situation. I don't know that it would have occurred to me in the moment, and hind-sight is always 50/50, but if you were afraid of what this guy might do, you could have just gotten off the bus at that stop and remove yourself from the fray. :twocents:

That's true and is a good lesson to take away from the situation. I wasn't thinking about exits, though I was behind the rear door. I was thinking more about what I'd do if he attacked the driver for whatever reason. I didn't know what to expect since I hadn't seen him try to get on the first time and only heard what the driver said.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute

Hey ..... I've carried a fanny pack (over my shoulder like a purse....Murse :)) for over 20 years .... of course my EDC as been at my side for over 40 :D

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Have you used Thunderwear yourself?

I have. A lot depends on your body type and what kinds of pants you wear. I concealed a gov't sized 1911 with no issues, and the great thing is if anyone notices something they ain't saying nothing and will do their level best to not look again.

The only time I almost got found out was do to a car hitting me while I was riding a bike. I needed medical attention, but refused transport by EMS because I knew they'd find out I was carrying and the campus cop was already there. Technically, I wasn't on school property yet, I was riding from a parking lot to the campus, but to avoid awkward questions I just got a lift back to my truck and then sought treatment on my own later.

People who say "they'll never discover you are carrying unless you need it" forget about the possibility of accidents or health concerns that might cause it to be discovered. I sure never thought about it prior to that day.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I used to keep a revolver in my briefcase for many years. It can be a pain as you have to be in a position to always have control of the briefcase and only you know if that is possible in your case.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    The other thing I thought about, even though it's a pretty unlikely situation, is if there is another type of threat on campus and they lock down and start checking rooms. Happened at IUPUI last year I think when there was supposedly a guy with a long gun on or near campus. Could a K9 smell your gun on you if they brought one around?

I have. A lot depends on your body type and what kinds of pants you wear. I concealed a gov't sized 1911 with no issues, and the great thing is if anyone notices something they ain't saying nothing and will do their level best to not look again.

The only time I almost got found out was do to a car hitting me while I was riding a bike. I needed medical attention, but refused transport by EMS because I knew they'd find out I was carrying and the campus cop was already there. Technically, I wasn't on school property yet, I was riding from a parking lot to the campus, but to avoid awkward questions I just got a lift back to my truck and then sought treatment on my own later.

People who say "they'll never discover you are carrying unless you need it" forget about the possibility of accidents or health concerns that might cause it to be discovered. I sure never thought about it prior to that day.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'd just like to point out that a firearm would probably not be the best primary go-to defensive weapon in a crowded environment like a bus. Way too many variables and bystanders around for my taste. I'd prefer a taser or collapsible baton in a tight space like that.

It just goes to show how important it is to have options for dealing with a self defense scenario. Not all of them require deadly force.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    The other thing I thought about, even though it's a pretty unlikely situation, is if there is another type of threat on campus and they lock down and start checking rooms. Happened at IUPUI last year I think when there was supposedly a guy with a long gun on or near campus. Could a K9 smell your gun on you if they brought one around?
    Maybe, but if you're legal then the worst that would happen is you get fired/expelled. That seems like a longshot scenario.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I'd just like to point out that a firearm would probably not be the best primary go-to defensive weapon in a crowded environment like a bus. Way too many variables and bystanders around for my taste. I'd prefer a taser or collapsible baton in a tight space like that.

It just goes to show how important it is to have options for dealing with a self defense scenario. Not all of them require deadly force.

There you go making sense...we don't do that around here!

I'll always have my knife on me in places I don't carry a firearm, work, church, schools, etc...so there is always that "back-up" but in some situations it is best to either find an exit or use an alternative method of resolving the matter...drawing your pistol on a bus would likely cause more of an uproar than the guy getting on anyway.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I travel a lot by air to military installations so unfortunately I don't get to often carry a personal weapon on work trips. The worst is going to DC where full on crazy is a regular occurrence. Last year I picked up a clipboard made out of level III ballistic armor from Ballistic Systems Co. I bought one for the wife and college age son too. I carry it in a tactical computer bag when flying and put it in the drivers side pocket of the rental when driving. I got the legal size so it would cover most of a window if I held it up to it. It's heavy enough to use as a bludgeon on its own.

This at least gives me some options.

And you Blazing Saddles guys...Mongo like.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    True. In this case the bus was not crowded. I think there was only one person in the front half of the bus. But you're right that many times it's very crowded and that wouldn't be good.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    True. In this case the bus was not crowded. I think there was only one person in the front half of the bus. But you're right that many times it's very crowded and that wouldn't be good.

And I think focusing on the bus is distracting from the real issue. You don't spend your entire day there. You spend your day in places like classrooms and public places where a handgun might very well be the best way that you can defend yourself.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    It's not illegal to carry, but a student who is caught breaking the rules by carrying and gets expelled has a lot to lose. (Same for an employee, which is my particular situation and why I have decided it is better not to carry, even CC.) Of course it's a personal decision, but you have to weigh all of the benefits and risks.

id rather be expelled than dead/seriously hurt but that's just me. It's a personal choice definitely.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound

If it was recently used and not cleaned, probably the dog could smell it. If you carried a pistol that hasn't been used in a while and cleaned regularly then I wouldn't think so, but take that with a grain of salt.

Top Bottom